Halibut fishing for White Sea Bass, SMB, 6/22/2019.

PENN

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Bait from Redondo Bait, sardines and some Spanish Mackerel,
Fished Hermosa for 2 drifts and one 14 inch San Bass released.
Shot across the bay, took 40 minutes, dropped the rigs in 65 feet.
Managed a legal Calico Bass and another legal Sand Bass, it got quiet.
Bait came through, and 3 sticks go bendo, we went 1 for 3, but it counted.
My fishing partner Bryan nails this 55 pound White Sea Bass.
Yes, we had to chase it down for 6 minutes after getting the other lines out of the way.
Done by 945, and we said "we're done!, we don't need nuthin' else".
3-way swivel again with a Spanish mackerel did the trick.
30 pound mainline and 30 pound leaders.
Actually all 4 sticks had the same baits on when the fish came through.
There's some big shit swimming around under the bait balls out there.
Bagged up 3 gallon bags of sardines and Spanish for the upcoming bug season.

ms-HWhQ6v.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
That's a baby compared to the last one!

Congrats on another beauty seabass!

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
You guys are eating so good sunday, Enjoy!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
That's a baby compared to the last one! Congrats on another beauty seabass!
Hey Glendon, and Hey Wally (I'd like to think so also, kind words, thank you). Now why did I get bait at Redondo when I could have saved time and picked up bait at MDR sport-fishing? Here's all the answers to the questions on the test. I knew Redondo had some Spanish Mackerel mixed in with their sardines, number 1 +. When fin-bait enters SMB, where does it enter? It comes up out of Redondo Canyon right in front of the entrance to King Harbor, number 2 +. I can see the type of fin-bait in SMB sitting in one-spot, number 3 +. The water is warmest here first, most-times, because this is where the current in SMB starts also, number 4 +. I know Mike at the Redondo Bait receiver quite well, number 5 +. Once we'd made 2 drifts in Hermosa I'd figured out the following: the water was too dirty brown for my liking, the water was also too warm at 65.5 for the goal I'd set for the day, and the goal was to put my fishing partner on a quality fish as I'd had the last 2 quality fish (69.1 pound WSB and 33 pound Halibut). I'd told him this on the drive down to MDR . . . I'd even joked about a "hook and hand-off" if that's what it took, he stated "I'll catch my own John!". Now the pressure was back on me. Anyway, once I'd figured everything out I knew where I had to be to have the optimal shot at a nice fish. Spot after spot as we headed north my partner kept saying " you're not stopping at so-n-so spot?" and my answer was always "NOPE!" and the spots were . . . Manhattan, Green Spot, Collection Spot, El Porto, the PIPE, Twin Roads, Venice Reef, Venice Clam Beds, Twin Towers, Ocean Park, Catamarans, and I'm stopping there, so there's your window of opportunity to figure it out, somewhere between Catamarans and Paradise Cove. Water where we were was optimal green in color, birds diving on bait everywhere, porpoise having a banquet around us, the meter was lit-up with bait everywhere, and I told my partner "those are WSB on the meter" he just looked at me like, yeah right sure they are. We see who had the last chuckle over this, and your last clue is the water was 63.5 degrees where we/my-fishing-partner-Bryan caught the slug WSB. Enjoy! Please be safe out there, we/you only get one shot at this, and don't impact others negatively as that thing called Karma will come back on you 10-fold, would you really like to be wished into the corn field as a scarecrow, sorry got off-tangent. The fish are there!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
You are so the Bay King its ridicules!! for a man who loves his Lobster and Halibut fishing you have many skills you never talk about.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
You are so the Bay King its ridicules!! for a man who loves his Lobster and Halibut fishing you have many skills you never talk about.
I appreciate the kind words!
There's 5-10 guys who are out there every single day, not me, and they know every square inch of SMB.

Upvote 0

Eli Bloch

Fish On
Jun 3, 2019
Name
Fish
Boat
Arima
Water where we were was optimal green in color, birds diving on bait everywhere, porpoise having a banquet around us, the meter was lit-up with bait everywhere, and I told my partner "those are WSB on the meter"
Thanks for the heads up, I saw all this action in that same spot yesterday and was thinking what else could be out there.

Upvote 0