HALIBUT CLASSIC suffers huge loss with tragic death!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Screenshot_2019-11-15-08-47-32-1.png

Hey all, I've been pretty quiet on here due to a tragic and very unexpected death on Tuesday.

I'm still spinning and deeply shook over all of this, so bare with me as trying to write this is tough.

I lost one of my very best and closest of friends Vince Dalmaso on Tuesday. Most of you guys who have fished the Halibut Classic will probably remember Vince as he has literally been my right hand man for many years now. He was my morning check in guy, who would sit down with you in the morning and take care of you checking in.

Vinney was also my weigh-in guy, who would pull the fish out of the kill bags and measure and weigh the fish. On top of that, he was also the guy who would write down all the info on the weigh-in boards, and he also filled out the big award checks for me.

If all of that wasn't enough, he was also my #1 fishing partner, and he was the one who pulled off the win in the very first After Thanksgiving Halibut tournament back in 2000. And he again won in 2017.

Well guys, this was the year both me and Vinney had been talking about for quite some time....the big #20....the 20th year!

Im so bummed I just cant believe this has happened....it just honestly doesn't seem real....feels like a really bad dream.....but with all that said, Vinney LOVED this tournament, and he would never ever think of missing it. So on that note, this event must go on this year!!

I am now trying to refocus and spin direction by making this years Halibut Classic, a tribute year for my good buddy Vince Dalmaso.

So please please please, if you can, help me make this a good showing on the year we lost Vinney, because I know, if there is a way that those who pass, are able to look down on us......then Vinney will DEFINITELY be right there with us all.

Man this is tough!
Thank you all so soooo much for all the crazy years of participating in this event. It's always been about spending a good day with a bunch of cool people on the water, with the added thrill of a few lucky ones who will go home a few $$ richer.

Keep in mind, the early entry deadline is in just days, as it's the 20th!! So get those entries in and save!!

Thanks for listening!

I love and deeply miss you Vince!! Thanks for years n years of so many great memories. It wasn't your time bro
Screenshot_2019-11-15-19-46-49.png

Screenshot_2019-11-13-11-56-06-1.png

Screenshot_2019-11-15-19-14-28-1.png

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Hey Mike,

My sincere sympathies and condolences on the loss of your friend Vince.

Hope the turnout is huge for the tournament.

And the idea as tribute tournament is great idea.

Good luck and RIP Vince.

Reactions: ?? fisherman
Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
damn that sux , mike! he was one cool cat, and a fellow long hair. was going chop my mop , but i'm keeping for a while to honor ole Vinney. RIP , he's fishing on a bigger boat , in calm seas now....

Sallman-Christ_Pilot.jpg

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Monday reminder....this is it guys, today is the day you NEED to get those entries mailed in to make it in time for the early entry price. You could try and mail tomorrow and hope for the best, but that's gonna be pushing it, and you might not make the deadline.

Another option would be to pick up an entry at either Dana Landing on Mission Bay, or Squidco. You can fill these out and drop off your entry with payment at Dana Landing. If you do this PLEASE MAKE SURE to let me know you did this....VERY IMPORTANT!

Remember, after the 20th, entries will still be accepted, but will then be at the new normal price, as all early entries must make it to me by the 20th.

Enlight of what's happened to my very close friend, and being that he truly loved this tournament so very much and loved being around all you guys at the weigh-ins, I'm really hoping we can make this a great turnout for Vinney.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Morning reminder....

The early entry deadline is tomorrow November 20th. I will say, I know for a fact I have received many local entries that were mailed just the day before I received them, so you still could chance it and go that route and hope it gets to me in time.....it's a crap shoot.

The surest way to still get in by the early entry date would be to bring a already filled out entry form to Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay and pay them there.

Entry forms are available at both Dana Landing Tackle as well as Squidco, although Dana Landing is the only place you can turn in your entry and pay.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do turn in your payment at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay, you MUST let me know after you have done so....this is important.

Entry forms may also be printed up by going on the tournament website which is.... www.halibutclassic.com

Entries will still be accepted after the 20th but at the new adjusted normal price.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Thank you so much Brad.....it's going to be a bittersweet day come tournament time, but I gotta keep my head up, keep smiling, laughing, joking.... because that's what Vinney would want....for all of us to carry on and have fun!

Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
Aug 4, 2011
Vista
www.cafishingnews.com
Name
Ernie Gorham
Boat
11' SportCat Truline
Very sorry for you loss.

I found a boat however and am excited to fish the tournament. I was going to put it in the mail tomorrow but I see that will be too late to save me the $20... oh well, $60 is still fine since I'll be winning the dang thing anyway right?

(friendly boasting, I'm actually a mediocre halibut fisherman at best, maybe I'll get lucky)

Edit - I've leaving on a trip out of seaforth on Thursday so going to just submit and pay at dana landing then.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Wednesday reminder.

Hey guys, today (November 20th) is the cut off day for the early entries. All early entries need to get to me by today.

The best bet at this point in getting in at the early entry price is to submit your filled out entry along with proper payment at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay.

PLEASE make sure if you do this you let me know after doing so....this is very important!

Entry form can be found and printed off the tournament website at....
www.halibutclassic.com

You can aslo pick up entry forms at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay, or Squidco.

PLEASE NOTE: completed entry forms along with proper payment may ONLY be dropped off at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay.

Tomorrow the price will go up and be at the regular price. There is still both time and room to get in.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Condolences for your loss of a good friend. Life is short, we all think we will be around for...whatever! (but some of us are wrong!) Enjoy every day, every minute....

Upvote 0