Glad Wrap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I don't have a max budget but not trying to break the bank.

So what are you all using for Hali rods?

Has anyone spent themoney on the new gloomis hali rod? 350 seems pricey for a rod that will only get used a couple hand full times a year. I know seeker makes a hali rod that is around the same price. I have been looking at the lami rods as well.

Of course there is Okuma and ungly stick as well. Already got a reel picked out and think I am going to pull the trigger on that. Jsut need to decide on a rod.

so 350 isn't too much but if I don't have to sopend that much I would rather not. That would be about 550 for rod and reel if I bought a 350.00 rod. So tell me what you all think or use.

:finger:

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Scott

I have several rods I use---the fanciest one I have is a Old Glass Fenewick--awesome pole--alot like the Ugly stick----small tip and lots of bend and play with a TON of backbone.
Also a King Tuna--circa 1960--awesome pole--good play and easy to feel the bottom as well.

My other poles--work--but basically big sticks that are less enjoyable but do the job. I was looking at a new one this year as well--it would be the Ugly Stick for sure---they are TOUGH for one--Priced right for two and just have the right combo of Finesse and backbone.

My .02

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
Thanks Paul, I am leaning the direction of the ugly stick. I would love to have a fancy gloomis rod but don't see the need.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
If your only using it 2-4 times a year I wouldnt drop 350 on a rod. I would spend a little extra on the reel.

I still use an old Penn, a couple of Tidewater's and a couple of Lami's. Last year they all got double duty for halis and tuna and worked fine.

Havnt fished the okumas but the newer models look decent.

Sure the Loomis might last a long time, but any rod well taken care of should last a long time.

So I guess if it was me, I would spend around 100 for a rod, and buy two.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
If your only using it 2-4 times a year I wouldnt drop 350 on a rod. I would spend a little extra on the reel.

I still use an old Penn, a couple of Tidewater's and a couple of Lami's. Last year they all got double duty for halis and tuna and worked fine.

Havnt fished the okumas but the newer models look decent.

Sure the Loomis might last a long time, but any rod well taken care of should last a long time.

So I guess if it was me, I would spend around 100 for a rod, and buy two.
Thanks Greg, if i buy two then i would be buying another reel and that is way too much. I like the lami rods,the ugly looks good too and have both types for my river rods an no complaints.

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
Thanks Greg, if i buy two then i would be buying another reel and that is way too much. I like the lami rods,the ugly looks good too and have both types for my river rods an no complaints.
Or you just become a rod whore like me and hope that one day you have enough reels for all you rods.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I think I migh become a reel whore first

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I guess tje next question is rollers or not?

Stryker20

Subtle as a Hand Grenade
Oct 3, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Name
Mike
Boat
Still searching
No rollers if you want to run spectra.

A nice cheap rod for halis is the Penn mariner stand up 560CHST. $79 @ sportco. Wholesale sports in silverdale should have them too.

It's a 5'6" 30-80 glass blank with turbo guides, aluminum reel seat, aluminum gimbal, and what I think is the perfect action for pipe jigs.

It makes for a really easy fight on chickens, but has enough backbone for whatever you might hook into.

Pair that sucker with a 113h and 500yds of 80lb braid and your into that outfit for less than $300.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
Thanks stryker, I will be pullkng the trigger on a shimano tyrnos 16 tomorrow. 150.00 fully spooled up and shipped to my door.

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
Shimano trevala 80 200 talk to zach at lfs he may give you boat show price of 120 versus 170. Got a 2 speed trynos on mine and its bitchin. 500 ballpark for the combo spend your money on a badass reel and skimp on the stick ugly stick rods are just fine for the amount of time we get to fish. Having the 2 speeds in the rerl is worth the extra money and fast for bait checks

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
Thanks stryker, I will be pullkng the trigger on a shimano tyrnos 16 tomorrow. 150.00 fully spooled up and shipped to my door.
Should go and buy one of the new Avets or Shimano's from Bo(shamless plug)...Be about same price as you woulda spent on that Loomis. And like Travis said, two speeds are bitchin. My Avet is freakin a dream for bait checks, to the surface in half the time.

If your only gunna spend a 100 for a rod, splurge on the reel.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
opps that price of the reel was 200 shipped and spooled. Hmmmm 200 for a reel is splurging IMHO......but have eyt to pull the trigger I will wait until this afternnon

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Scott, I just bought two lamiglass 50-80 5'6" rods from their factory store for 75 each they have great guides and are aluminum reel seats with big foam handles. they worked great on the opener out of westport...:finger:

Easytosee

Jun 9, 2009
Olympia/Washington/USA
Name
Chad Burgess
Boat
25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price
The Lami's are an awesome deal and a great rod. I fished a g-loomis this weekend some it was nice but not sure its worth the money. I have a Fetha Styx rod I got for this year its awesome has everything I wanted and fishes great but still more than the other rods its was $250. The BFC6080 Lami gets my vote for best all around hali rod and bang for your buck. No rollers for me, you don't need them for halibut and they don't hold up as well IMO, also more stuff to catch your line on etc

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
Scott, I just bought two lamiglass 50-80 5'6" rods from their factory store for 75 each they have great guides and are aluminum reel seats with big foam handles. they worked great on the opener out of westport...:finger:
I saw theese rods in action yesterday they work pretty damm good. or I can build ya a nice custom one be in the 250 range

Cougman

Jan 2, 2009
Woodland, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
22 ft. Seasport "One Moor"
Scott, I just bought two lamiglass 50-80 5'6" rods from their factory store for 75 each they have great guides and are aluminum reel seats with big foam handles.
I have 2 of these and they work great. I got ming for $60 last year at the Sportsman's Show. I also use them tuna fishing to pull heavy diving plugs and they work well for that too.

chadminnick

Feb 24, 2011
Bellevue, WA USA
Name
Mr. Trouble
Boat
Just sold it. Landlubber for a few months.
My all-time favorite rod is the Shimano Trevala. I've got a Penn 320 on it and like it a lot. But I'd start with the reel because it's the most important. Then put it on the best rod you can buy for the remainder of your budget...even if that means a $20 Eagle Claw from the corner of a pawn shop. (Okay, I exagerate to make a point.)

Fish_kid

The Right Angler
Aug 23, 2010
Kirkland/WA
Name
Tom
Boat
Parker 2120 "F-14"
x2 on the Lamis... We've used them for a couple of years and my bro-in-law has landed a 5'9" 172 pounder on his... but they are limber enough to keep bend/tension on little chickens.

BugeaterInWa

Fear the Corn
Aug 10, 2008
Kitsap WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boulton
My all-time favorite rod is the Shimano Trevala. I've got a Penn 320 on it and like it a lot. But I'd start with the reel because it's the most important. Then put it on the best rod you can buy for the remainder of your budget...even if that means a $20 Eagle Claw from the corner of a pawn shop. (Okay, I exagerate to make a point.)
Looking forward to reading some Hali catching reports from you and your setup.

:hali_olutta:

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat

Ouch. That 320 will hold up fine. Hell I caught a 60lbr last year with one:waglleybooty: (in 60 ft of water jigging for lings)........500 ft might be a "little" stretch...

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
I don't want to hi jack your thread but since you guys are talking reels and rods I thought I would ask. Would an Okuma Solterra reel work for Butts spooled with 80 # powerpro? I used it Sunday for Lings and loved the lever drag and the left handed option the reason I bought it. Its on a 7' shimano saguaro 20-50# which seems a little soft for butts I would assume? Would that work for Albacore? Its only a forty dollar rod so my feeling wouldn't be hurt!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Charles_Sterlin

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 30, 2010
Redmond
sterlings.life
Name
Charles
Boat
23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
Scott,
Where are you getting the Tyrnos from?
I ordered the Tyrnos 10 from boaters world two weeks ago and still no eta on delivery!

Thanks,
Chuck

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I saw theese rods in action yesterday they work pretty damm good. or I can build ya a nice custom one be in the 250 range
Josh might take you up on the offer but not for a hali rod.:hali_olutta:

chadminnick

Feb 24, 2011
Bellevue, WA USA
Name
Mr. Trouble
Boat
Just sold it. Landlubber for a few months.

I'm not going to be able to get out there for this season. :hali_parkutuli:
I've got to rebuild the head on my motor this week, and next week I'm heading to Europe until June.

BugeaterInWa

Fear the Corn
Aug 10, 2008
Kitsap WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boulton
I'm not going to be able to get out there for this season. :hali_parkutuli:
I've got to rebuild the head on my motor this week, and next week I'm heading to Europe until June.
Wow, have a great trip dude! btw, Halibut will be open in June (Area 5) so when ya get back catch one on your set up and lemme know how it goes.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
Scott,
Where are you getting the Tyrnos from?
I ordered the Tyrnos 10 from boaters world two weeks ago and still no eta on delivery!

Thanks,
Chuck
Bait n hook, I will let you know on delivery time later today. Still waiting to see if they can get it to me with out having to wait forever:finger: