Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
I had the pleasure of getting out for a PM 1/2 day on Friday 12-16-2011 with Cristin aka 2MAYtoes, her bo Desi, Edgar, and my long time friend Jim Racella aka J.Akuhed.
The Dolphin has moved from Islandia Sportfishing in Mission Bay to it's new home at Fishermans Landing in San Diego.
This is the first 1/2 boat that has ever run out of Fishermans. To honor the event and to promote the boat/run the landing was charging just $23 dollars PP!!!
The boat is a awesome fishing platform! There is so much open space to move around! We had 33 passengers on board for my trip and at no time was it ever crowded. There is also lots of space to put your tackle along with spots you can sit down and take a break (very important to this old man!).
The Galley is below deck and very large. I'm guessing here but I would say that maybe it would seat 40 to maybe even 50. The heads are forward and GIGANTIC. I have never in all my years seen a head that big. (no smart ass remarks :_diarrhea_:
The Capt. and Crew were ultra professinal and super friendly. They were always there as soon as they were needed to unhook fish, fix tangles or tie on a hook for you.
All in all this operation is outstanding.

Now as to the fishing:
We left the dock at 1pm and made a quick stop for some awesome Anchovy. Couldn't help to think "where is chovy like this when the Albacore are here" As it turned out we never needed them. All the fish are keyed on Squid and wouldn't bite anything else.
Conditions outside of the harbor were miserable. The Ocean was flat but we had a very cold offshore wind howling at around 25 mph the entire time we were out which made sitting on the anchor quite difficult. We were swinging around like crazy which made for staying on the spot impossible. Did I mention it was COLD. To add to that it rained a little bit at times too.
Water temp was a chilly 57 degree's but was a clean green.
We went up the line and setup on the pipe in roughly 130/140 feet. The wind was making it tough to setup on the spot and making it tough for the anchor to hold but once we hung good we got into fishing.
For me the catching was pretty good. 1st bait down and a HUGE treefish climbed on for a ride to my bag. Couple of drops later I added a 2lb red. I took lot's of breaks though to escape the cold (I know I'm a wuss), but as soon I would drop back in I would hook another critter. I ended up with 4 giant Treefish, 1 Sugar bass, 1 Red, 1 gopher rockfish.
There was a handful of Sheephead caught, including the Jackpot goat of about 8lbs
Not everyone did so well however. I would guess the average was about 2 fish per rod.
At one point I think Cristin noticed that I was a hot stick and decided to put her bait in my spot. :rofl: She was on the other side of the boat and we ended up in a mighty tug-o-war. For about 2 seconds I though I hooked a nice sheepy or a Ling but soon the line went under the boat and I realized it was Cristin mooching my fish hehe
To be fair though Cristin is one hell of a fisherman or should I say fisherperson or Fisherwoman. It is very rare to see a female with the talent and skills she has on a sportboat. Desi your a lucky guy.
Jim and I have been friends for a very long time and thru it all we have never shared a rail together until now. Let's not wait another 20 years for the next trip OK Jim?
Overall though this was one of my favorite trips in many years. I laughed almost the entire time.
I totaly LOVED sharing the rail with you guys, and can't wait to do it again. Please let's just pick a better weather window next time

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2MAYEtoes

Mackerel Maker
Apr 24, 2011
San Diego
Name
Cristin Kelly
Boat
Privateer
At one point I think Cristin noticed that I was a hot stick and decided to put her bait in my spot. :rofl: She was on the other side of the boat and we ended up in a mighty tug-o-war. For about 2 seconds I though I hooked a nice sheepy or a Ling but soon the line went under the boat and I realized it was Cristin mooching my fish hehe

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good times!

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Like they say, fishin' was great, but catchin', for me at least wasn't so hot. Contribuuted a nice 2# JohnyBass to Danny's bag.
Thanks again for the invite, Cristin!
Good to fish with my new friends Cristin, Desi and Edgar and my old friend, Danny!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
How are the plants growing Jim? :rofl: Plumeria(s).

Upvote 0