Half moon bay at Christmas

seadragon_1981

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
Gonna be up in Half Moon Bay at Christmas and wanted to do some jetty fishing while there with my kids. What kind of fishing should we expect to find at that time? Only fished up there once in the spring

Upvote 0

stella marina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat Name
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    do some poke poking for monkey faced eel...on the protected side...you just don't know what the weather will be like that time of year...
    bring some crab snare too...probably a few dungies to be had

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0

jbaik

I need to fish more...
    Dec 13, 2015
    Sacramento
    Name
    J
    Boat Name
    None
    Check swell, wind and tides the water can get down right nasty on the jetty.
    Absolutely correct, especially on the north jetty. Check the tides https://tides4fishing.com/us/california/pillar-point-harbor, check the swell https://magicseaweed.com/Princeton-Jetty-Surf-Report/3679/ and if all is good. I usually run a swimbait to catch lings or poke pole for rockfish. With the recent increase in traffic on the jetty, you are going to need to go out at least half way, there is a bend on the south jetty, I want to say marker 35ish, that spot always seems to have waves crashing over it. So i usually push it out to the mid 40s or all the way to the end.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    I'm going to Santa Cruz for the holiday, where's a good place to buy snares?

Upvote 0

seadragon_1981

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    Thank you for all the info. What about the fishing pier on the inner jetty? Is that any good for a shot at some catch and release. I might pick up some snares for a solo trip on the outer jetty though.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    21' Center Console
    really think out the kid thing as well, boulder hoping down the jetty is far harder than one might think. Not the best time to be watching 3 kids, carry gear and try to fish. Not to be buzz kill just want to make certain you have a great time.

I highly agree with crash on this. Hope they’re teenagers at least.

Upvote 0
    Oct 18, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Murph
    Boat Name
    None
    Can your kids handle being on a charter boat? That is guaranteed way to get lots of crab plus rockfish. Hulicat will be running trips if weather is good. Another option can be to rent skiffs out of Santa Cruz or Capitola. Can handle 4 people max but can be fun for the kids, especially if they are younger and you don't to spend too many hours on a boat.

Upvote 0

XPL051v3

Almost A Member
  • Nov 26, 2017
    Deep Blue
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    XPL051v3
    Boat Name
    Backseat Boater
    Thank you for all the info. What about the fishing pier on the inner jetty? Is that any good for a shot at some catch and release. I might pick up some snares for a solo trip on the outer jetty though.

Never fished there personally, but I know a few buddies let there kids fish off it. Have caught small rockfish and a keeper halibut. I’ve fished the jetty as you go out of the harbor one time last year and caught a 12lb Lingcod throwing swimbaits. There are some dungeness being caught inside so a snare would be good. Not much of a shore fisherman, but keep a check on the weather as stated above. Last week the waves were breaking over the jetty! Be safe and good luck.

Upvote 0