PENN

Abe Froman

Jul 3, 2016
West Covina, CA
Name
John S.
Boat
Something out of SD.
It’s always a good day on a half day trip when you hear a deckhand tell the other guys “Hey, go find the gaff”... but didn’t expect it to be because of a King Salmon. Wish I could have caught a picture of the angler bringing it up, but I had my own rock fish to deal with. Still pretty cool to see one of these get caught local within sight of San Diego.

AC361035-2605-493F-BC0A-E6FDEB5019E0.jpeg

woolybugger

Mar 7, 2006
San pedro
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 1801 cc
Have a friend who caught one at catalina years ago but released it as he had 0 clue on salmon regulations s
and didnt want an awkward dfg conversation.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Are those legal to keep S of Pt Concepcion now?
I don't believe so. Also, definitely not legal to gaff one.

Edit: well I'll be...salmon opened up as of April 3rd for Pigeon Pt. to the Mexico border. Glad I still have all my rotary killers and flashers! Still no take allowed on Silvers, but hot damn SoCal salmon would be amazing.

Per the DFG website:

"Pigeon Point to U.S./Mexico Border (Monterey and south): Opening April 3. Season end date to be determined at the Pacific Fishery Management Council meeting in April. - Minimum size limit: 24 inches total length *Additional season dates and size limits will be decided at the Pacific Fishery Management Council meeting in April."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I don't believe so. Also, definitely not legal to gaff one.

Edit: well I'll be...salmon opened up as of April 3rd for Pigeon Pt. to the Mexico border. Glad I still have all my rotary killers and flashers! Still no take allowed on Silvers, but hot damn SoCal salmon would be amazing.

The gaff doesn't have barb, so I wonder if its legal to take using the gaff since the gaff is "barbless". LOL

It looks like in the regulations, most of the requirements apply to north of Point Conception. I doubt the person fishing had more than 4 lbs of weight so section 27.80.1 shouldn't apply. There is no report card requirement unless you are fishing the rivers defined in section 1.74(b1).

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
remember a hand full caught back in the mid 90’s....

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Watched a guy catch one off of Blacks years ago. Fishing fly line sardines in 40 fathoms. We were like WTF are you fishing for???? in our heads. Saw the guy hook something, then nets a Salmon! He then posted it on here "check out this white seabass we caught" He didn't know the difference.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Pretty sure you can't fillet them at sea, hard to identify it's a king from a fillet. Maybe if you keep the head?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Pretty sure you can't fillet them at sea, hard to identify it's a king from a fillet. Maybe if you keep the head?
Or the tail... spots on top and bottom = king salmon. Leave one fillet attached to the tail?

Upvote 0

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Probably broke a DFG law or two, so rare down south wonder if the local wardens would even no all the rules and regs on Salmon.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Used to get em in and around Newport Canyon in cooler water years. Hmmm

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Mike in Murrieta

Looking for a female boat owner into fat men
  • Apr 16, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Nope
    I hooked up to one years ago out of Dana Point, the crew let it go, said I couldn't keep it. Nice to see the regs change.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Caught my first salmon years ago off Ensenada/Todas Santos. I was throwing a blue & chrome Tady and catching a few barracuda. Then one of those "barracudas" jumped.

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Very cool. Yes a legal fish is socal, but you need to know the regs. I don't think you can gaff, but barbed hooks are legal. You need barbless north of Pt Conception and you dump a lot of fish. Thanks for the report, I may go look for some. Also, kings have black gums and slivers have whitish gums. I think there is a picture in the DFG rules book that the use to distribute showing this.

Upvote 0

jmoonfish

Moonfish Maniac
    Nov 23, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeff Moon
    Boat
    N/A
    85542DDE-D2E1-4DB4-BFA3-1077DE955D76.jpeg

Here’s a 21 lb king I caught on my tin boat about a mile off of Newport pier back in the 70’s, so many salmon in the Newport Canyon that the ocean was full of commercial jig boats from Oregon and Washington... salmon around for many years afterward, but mostly in the Ventura area, thousands were caught during that time... water hovered at about 52 deg with tons of anchovies around, once the water hit 55 deg they were gone! 🎣

Upvote 0