Kipi Kai

Kipi Kai
May 12, 2009
Mililani, HI
Name
Brad
Boat
24' Yellowfin (Kipi Kai)
Started out of Haleiwa a little late, around 6:00. Headed up on the ledge toward Turtle Bay, Nada. Decided to go out and look for the birds. We went out past J to the 1500, and out and out. Found lots of current lines with plenty of rubbish, but no birds. Finally above X bouy, we found a small pile. First pass, outrigger comes down and we get an aku in the box. We downsize the spread and take a double shibi next pass. One more pass and another double shibi. We take a couple more and the pile breaks up. We set up and slid down toward Turtle bay again. After a long dry spell, and my partner asleep on the bridge, the short corner comes down, hanapa'a. My partner is still asleep, what the F**k. As I reach over to hit him in the arm, the other corner and the short center take off. Now he is up. We bring in the short corner. I see the ono and grab the leader. As I pull, both outriggers, and the stinger go off. HANAPA'A, a 6 Banger, (A first for me) About that same time a fellow razor gang member hit the leader and cut me off :shithappens:. We move on to the short center and bring in a 25lb ono. On to the long corner and one more ono in the box, about 20lb. We both start to crank on the outriggers. The port rigger comes in first. As I grab the leader, my partner screams "Holy Shit". I turn around and see two whales breach directly beside the boat. In the process of turning to look, with the leader in my left hand and gaff in the right, I mange to catch the gaff on the leader and send it flying overboard. Nice work genius :_diarrhea_:. I grab the other gaff and we put another ono around 25lb in the box. We move to the long outrigger, and stick another ono around 20lbs. We got cut off one more time on the stinger. We set up and landed one more Kawa Kawa that we let go. The ledge saved the day for sure. Weather was great, tons of whales still, and had plenty of fish to share.

Attachments

MikeO

Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
Way to go on the 6 pack....that is awesome.
If you had an extra deck hand you could have let your buddy sleep through it all....imagine the look on his face when he woke up to see a box full of onos...WTF happend bro? ha ha ha

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Wow a 6 banger thats awsome! what a rush. That breach sounds like it was a little too close for comfort. You think there was a rubbish in the area? I notice the whales are often right near the opelu piles

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Wow...an ono 6-banger...what a treat! That'll pin the excitement meter on its upper peg, for sure. Good job!

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Brad,
Nice catch with plenty of action. The boys and I could see you working the ledge while we were out Taco hunting. It was good meeting you and the family at the ramp on friday. Hope to be back from Nashville on Thursday and do a little fishing this weekend.

Blue Ice

Apr 2, 2010
Oahu/Hawaii
Name
Big B
Boat
2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
Brad,

I was so happy over my one Ono this weekend. I probably would have booked a trip to vegas if I had been you to try my luck there. Awesome catch!!!!!!:devil:

Big B

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Brad and crew,

Good goin' on an action packed day; multiples are always a blast... except maybe when they a Humpbacks breaching next to the boat. Nice looking fish...

Pat