Haleiwa 30 September

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
My fishing time has been very limited of late and when I have been able to go, the fish have not been cooperative.

Hoped to change that with yesterday's trip and was rewarded.

Left Haleiwa about 0545. Lots of boats were headed out, probably due to the forecast of light winds... Picked up opelu at the shark cage buoys - while we saw sharks we picked up about 2 dozen baits without getting sharked. Made a speed run up to X and set out baits. Within minutes of getting the first bait in the water we were hooked up. Over the next three hours we had 6 strikes, 6 hookups and 5 fish in the boat - we lost one at the gaff. All good sized shibis 40 to 60 pounds. Good fun action and great sashimi.

PS Glen are you still making gaffs? I need a new one.

Attachments

Oct 18, 2011
Ewa Beach HI
Name
Eric
Boat
The Dude
Awesome report. Can anyone tell me where the shark buoy is? Headin out this friday, looking to make bait for the first time with my new tank. Maybe go Kaneohe, but haven't tried to make bait out there. Wouldn't really know where to start unless I got lucky outside the harbor. Any help would be appreciated, and I'll share my results.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Chuck and crew,

Glad you were able to make it out, I was starting to think work and projects were keeping you completely off the water. That right there was certainly a nice day, good goin on the shibis. Good thing the sharks weren't hungry, easy the opelu.

Hey congrats!!! I just noticed the RET after USN, that's great!!!

Aloha
Pat

Last edited:

Jus10

Nov 27, 2010
Wahiawa
Name
Jus10
Boat
Kimi-Some
glad to hear the opelu bite was good...wish i could get out there with these light winds...gotta work...good going..

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Chuck,
Congrats on a great catch of good size shibis. If you don't mind sharing, how deep do you fish the live opelu? Do you just free spool the bait or do you send it down with a weight? Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
Russ,

We used circle hooks tied directly to the main line - no leader. We bridled the opelu, set them back 50 to 75 yards and troll them at idle around the buoy (a little more engine RPM going uphill). Once the bait is set back we set the reels at strike drag and put the lines up on the outriggers. I have a down rigger as well. I did not use it this trip, but I have used it with success at depths down to 200 feet. I hope this helps.

Chuck

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Chuck,
Congrats on the retirement and the fish. Great day on the water from start to finish for sure. Heard the weather has been pretty decent up on the NS and the shibi look like they are still around. Looking forward to getting back home and enjoying the family and the boat again.

v/r Joe

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
[ame]http://youtu.be/lTSTtD38JXc[/ame]

took me awhile, but here is a video of some of the action.

force21

Oldie
Mar 3, 2009
Kailua Hi USA
Name
Glenn
Boat
21 Force JAYMIELYN
My fishing time has been very limited of late and when I have been able to go, the fish have not been cooperative.

Hoped to change that with yesterday's trip and was rewarded.

Left Haleiwa about 0545. Lots of boats were headed out, probably due to the forecast of light winds... Picked up opelu at the shark cage buoys - while we saw sharks we picked up about 2 dozen baits without getting sharked. Made a speed run up to X and set out baits. Within minutes of getting the first bait in the water we were hooked up. Over the next three hours we had 6 strikes, 6 hookups and 5 fish in the boat - we lost one at the gaff. All good sized shibis 40 to 60 pounds. Good fun action and great sashimi.

PS Glen are you still making gaffs? I need a new one.
Howzit Chuck, Still making & I have several on hand..call me (808)349 9798. Sorry for responding so late...been kind of busy. Glenn.

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
Glenn, Just got back on island. I will give you a call soon.

Chuck

kajikihunta

Jun 6, 2012
hawaii
Name
john
Boat
bigtrips.com
you can tell weekend warriors by the way they gaff. don't get excited take your time. get a good shot no belly gaffs.

rsokolowski

Jun 26, 2009
Wahiawa/Hawaii/USA
Name
Roy Sokolowski
Boat
currently boatless
you can tell weekend warriors by the way they gaff. don't get excited take your time. get a good shot no belly gaffs.
Yes, I fish weekends and the first gaff sucked. The other four were all head shots. Stuff happens, the fish ended up in the boat, so it could have been worse.:) Good advice though and I will try to employ it next time.