Hail Mary For The BFT

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Fish Market, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    It's November in So Cal. By all rights BFT tuna fishing let alone all tuna fishing should have been over for quite awhile. Not in 2016. For the 2nd year in a row we have had unprecidented fishing. Last year BFT and then the Wahoo came near the end of the season and this year Trophy sized BFT.

We have been chasing these BFT all summer and have found them every time went out. We have logged several trips over 175 miles. We have used the down rigger. We have used the Kite with Yummy Fliers and we have seen the BFT on every trip without landing one. We have bounced poppers off of the foamers heads. We have hooked up twice with the Snipers getting chewed off AND HAVE NOT Landed One BFT.

This time it would be different.

BFT are finicky fish to say the least. Some say that they are smarter than the other tuna. Some say that they are better survivalists and fighters than the other tuna. The bottom line is they are not easy to catch and in order to get a large BFT you have to do most of the things if not all of things right or they will not wind up on your dinner table. You need to be at the right place with the right gear prepared with the right knots and have the right bait and then present it to them in the right way. With that being said if you land one it is by far the best quality tuna for Sashimi and Sushi. And if it is cared for in the proper way and eaten within a day or two it WILL most likely be of a higher quality then you are used to getting in restaurants. DELISH.

My oldest son and I left Point Loma SD on Friday evening at about 7:30 pm on the New Lo-An which we booked late Thursday eventing taking two of the last spots on the boat. The reason for selecting a sport boat verses firing up the diesel in the Striper was that the bait of choice was all the way in Long Beach and then after running to Long Beach we would have had to run home and then take the 85 mile run from Newport Beach to the Tanner Bank where the BFT were now living. That process would have taken too much time and effort for our schedules. Unfortunately my other sons could not join us.

We arrived at the Tanner at about 6 am which was almost two hours after the bite had started the previous day. Upon the diesels shifting into neutral I quickly pinned on a market sized squid on my 60# rig which was a 6 1/2 ft. rod that had a Talica spooled with 65# max cuartro braid with a 60# flouro leader, a glow in the dark 1 oz sinker and a 3/0 Gamakatsu ringed circle hook. I dropped down to about 180 ft and got picked up, I put the real in gear and watched my line scream off. I had the first fish on the boat and landed it in the fastest amount of time on the boat. It took me about 15 minutes. That was the last time I got picked up by a BFT for the day. I hooked into a blue shark and a bonito. My son got picked up and hooked 4 BFT and landed one in about 45 minutes on #80. He had one on #40 rig for about 1 1/2 hrs and due to the orders of the captain had to button the drag all the way down and the #65 braid snapped. Heartbreak.He felt like that one was a beast. We had drifted off of the edge and the captain wanted to get everyones line back in the water to beef up the count. So the order was button it down all the way.

It was a stellar trip for us. We both got our BFT. The boat got 18 fish for 32 anglers.

We thank all of the crew and Keith the skipper of The New Lo-An. It was a great boat with a great crew.

It ain't over until the Fat Lady Sings!

BFT Cory.JPG BFT Frank.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. cbadcrew

cbadcrew Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joeb1
    Boat:
    2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
    Frank, you sang a familiar song I've been singing ALL season.
    You may have tipped the scale for me as I was thinkin of jumpin on a boat that has 10X more bait than my sled.
    Good job
    Eat soon
    Peace
    & you're right she ain't sung yet

Waiohinu Lawaia likes this.
  3. Mick Dodge

Mick Dodge iFish

Name:
    Mickey D
    Boat:
    Great write up!

4. Capt. Scott Goodwin

Capt. Scott Goodwin Capt. Scott Goodwin

Name:
    Capt. Scott Goodwin
    Boat:
    Glasser 16'8
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing. You just made the Front Page of BD!

5. sdbrewer

sdbrewer Newbie

Name:
    Whit
    Boat:
    One Day
    It was great to meet you and your son. Is that guy behind you in your photo using a spinner on those fish? What a fool! Never again... Still sore today.
    IMAG0494.jpg

BGTfishing, fly liner and Second Row like this.
  6. zanegler

zanegler Bomboy Lures Are Money!

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    New Lo-An does it again. Hard to believe in November. Glad Markus is still running trips.

7. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Congrats! Persistence pays off I am told.

8. BGTfishing

BGTfishing Tanner Bank BFT

Name:
    Byron Tobey
    Boat:
    Hobie
    BFT November 12 2016.jpg
    Frank it was a great rip, nice write up of our adventure, Byron Here is picture of my frist BFT from our trip.

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Congrats! Never say die and until the Fat Lady Sings!

10. Revival

Revival Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Boat:
    20' skipjack flybridge
    Yeah frank and corey!

11. IronMikeAC

IronMikeAC Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Frank:

Great report. I really don't have much to add. New LoAnn was great and I really like Capt Kieth and Crew. Great meeting you and fishing with you and your son. Hes one fishy dude. Still, fathers don't let sons fish 40 on big BFT. Just sayin.

I see "Spinnner Boy" Whit admitted his guilt on using the WRONG gear but still landed one. Good going. I used the right gear all day with no bites.

Same for Byron who horsed one in in 15 minutes on the 2x4 I lent him. Tasted great last night. Good going Byron.

To those still going to try for these big BFT, lots of guys hooked up on "almost " the rigth gear like Penn 4/0, Baja specials, older Dawias and yellowtail rods opr heavy line on small reels. Bad idea. Bites are precious. They were each on for almost a painful hour each and all broke off. Also, several of us tried flat falls and tadys 4/0s that worked so well in August but no bites. They are locked in on the squid.

IM

Reuben and BGTfishing like this.
  12. So Cal Adventure

So Cal Adventure Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    42 ft Bertram
    Awesome read. Capt made the right call forcing the person with 40 lb to "do or die." in that situation you cant have 30 guys out of the zone and not fishing for 2 hours because 1 person decided to use line too light for the quarry. (And the super flexible rods are just as bad for these big fish.)

fly liner and BGTfishing like this.
  13. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    Good on ya!

Does the New Lo An have an RSW system?

Were you allowed to bleed/gut them before stashing them away?

14. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Solid work and NICE FISH guys! LOL

15. IronMikeAC

IronMikeAC Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    They do a great job handling the fish by bleeding, then gill/gutting, washing, then drop in RSW. Great quality on that boat.

16. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    Whit. As of today you will now be known as "Spinner Boy" per "Iron Mike"
    Hahaha , it was great fishing with you. Glad your son got home safe

17. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    Sorrry this was a duplicate..

18. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    Byron, Nice fishing with you. Hope you can get more hall passes from wifey!

19. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    Mike Nice fishing with you. I must say you have some nice equipment. Now you have to figure out how to get picked up with that stuff. LOL just givin you a hard time.

IronMikeAC likes this.
  20. Fish Market

Fish Market Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Radovcich
    Yes they do have a RSW system. Worked like a charm. The crew immediately Bled and gutted them before throwing them in the RSW. Can't say enough good things about the crew.