fishstomp

Picaroon
Aug 11, 2008
ɐsn ɐɔ 'pןǝıɟsɹǝʞɐq
Name
Doug
Boat
18' Seaswirl
I just noticed H & M has started charging a processing fee of 3.5% on all new reservations. I called and they confirmed that the new fee started June 10th. Add this in when deciding which boat/landing to book with.

Screenshot_2019-06-22-13-54-44-1.png

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
WTF ? is this for credit card purchases ? I hate the word "fee" Just raise the price and leave a word like that out of it.

Reactions: marlyn and Brad I

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I believe the Royal Star does the same thing. It's cheaper if you call their office, Instead of doing it on the internet.

Reactions: esgeo

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
the great thing is if they have a decent merchant account (they do if they have anyone who cares) they dont pay 3.5% in fees.

maybe 2% in fees...

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
It's a credit card fee. Fishermans Landing is doing the same thing. No fee if you pay cash. I just booked at 50% with the card and will pay the rest in cash at the dock.

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
Any difference in fee between AMEX and MC/Visa? I believe AMEX charges vendors a higher fee.

I guess the alternative way of looking at it would be to charge, say, $200, but if you pay cash it’s only $193.

3.5% isn’t much, really. $3.50 on every hundred dollars. But it is another nickel and dime thing that gets old.

Reactions: Olddog8

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
3.5% isn’t much, really. $3.50 on every hundred dollars.
No offense, but I just don't understand this kind of thinking. Part of the reason our sales and gas taxes are so darn high. But then I work hard for every penny I make. Maybe if I had a trust fund, or was an entertainer or something.

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
No offense, but I just don't understand this kind of thinking. But then I work hard for every penny I make. Maybe if I had a trust fund, or was an entertainer or something.
Well, look at it this way. If you use a credit card, they pay a fee. If you pay cash, they don’t pay a fee.

You have the choice of form of payment. Why should they pay the fee if you choose to use a credit card?

I work hard for my money, also. Pretty much all of us do.

No trust fund in my future, though I’ve certainly opined on that to my mom and dad. :D

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Well, look at it this way. If you use a credit card, they pay a fee. If you pay cash, they don’t pay a fee.

You have the choice of form of payment. Why should they pay the fee if you choose to use a credit card?

I work hard for my money, also. Pretty much all of us do.

No trust fund in my future, though I’ve certainly opined on that to my mom and dad. :D
Did you miss the part where he said it doesn't matter how you pay? The 3.5% still applies

scott v

Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
Point Loma is not charging 3.5% at this time. When I fished earlier this week they said hopefully they never will.

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Any difference in fee between AMEX and MC/Visa? I believe AMEX charges vendors a higher fee.

I guess the alternative way of looking at it would be to charge, say, $200, but if you pay cash it’s only $193.

3.5% isn’t much, really. $3.50 on every hundred dollars. But it is another nickel and dime thing that gets old.
what gets old is being nickel and dimed

whats next all businesses charge us a 3.5% fee so they can accept credit cards for free and make some extra money on top of the sale since we used a card.

Reactions: Olddog8

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat

whats next all businesses charge us a 3.5% fee so they can accept credit cards for free and make some extra money on top of the sale since we used a card.
@DennisV said it was credit card only. Wasn’t sure which was correct, so I dug a bit:

Fisherman's Landing: "Please Note: There is a service charge of 3.50% required for all reservations."

H&M: "Please note, a 3.5% processing fee applies to all orders."

Point Loma, all I can find is: “Due to the possibility of a federal excise tax being imposed on trips of 24 hours or more, we may be required to pass along a $3.00 tax to each passenger.”

Seaforth: Couldn’t find anything about extra fees.

So yeah, it’s a dick move.

The question is, what are people gonna do about it? Bitching about it here does fuck all. Bitching about it to the landing and then paying the fee does fuck all. Unless you call them and write letters to the owners saying, “I was going to go fish with you, but your ‘processing fee’ is bullshit, so I went elsewhere,” nothing will change.

All businesses respond to lost business. But unless people vote with their feet and dollars and let the business they didn’t go with know what they did and why they did it, nothing will change.

Question: If they didn’t add the fee and just raised prices 3.5% across the board, would anyone really care? Is it the additional cost that has folks up in arms or is it the terminology?

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
I cannot believe that the premier landing in Don Lopreste’s holdings is charging a fee and his others won’t follow suit.

rsees

Sep 15, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
Ron
Boat
Boatless in Santee
I hope ALL Landings do not follow this route! Fish with the landings that DO NOT charge a fee should send a message

bloody salt n00b

Sep 14, 2014
The Greater Los Angeles
Name
J
Boat
Triumph 195 CC

Everyone already is charged the fee in everything we buy...gas, supermarkets, all stores... It's been this way for a long time; a credit card phenomena and the fee is priced into everything we buy.

If you have any rewards credit cards - 1%-5% "cash back" or points for something based on what you buy - the credit companies can afford this because of the fees or surcharges placed on vendors accepting credit card as payment. This is why you should use a credit card to buy everything you can, unless a business gives you a cash discount.

In addition to the credit card surcharges the landings absorb or pass on, the web booking and payment company used to make their online reservations will have its own surcharge added. Maybe the web company has increased its rates recently.
If the landings are raising their prices and providing a cash discount, take advantage of it while you can. I am sure they will, over time, build the increase into the baseline pricing, especially if most users are using the web booking service.

On average, the price of everything goes up as time passes.

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
Yes I do. But if it is a increase in "Federal" Excise Tax that is not their choice.
Which only one mentioned and it’s only on trips over 24 hours.

But now the credit card fees don’t get you wound up anymore.

The thing that is really ironic is that if your profile is correct, you’re a federal employee who is paid by the taxpayers complaining about taxes. That’s pretty damned funny. Especially as you get better benefits than I and most taxpayers do by far, a vastly superior retirement program, deadhead travel after you put in your 20 or 30 or whatever, free medical, etc. etc. etc. I wish I hadn’t stuffed a motorcycle into a pickup when I was 18, waiting for the Navy to take me in on the Delayed Entry Program. I’d be retired with 30 years under my belt now.

If you want to get wound up about taxes, focus on this:

Big companies have long relied on strategies to reduce their tax bills. But the new tax law is making it even easier, with a new analysis finding that 60 profitable Fortune 500 companies paid no taxes on a total of $79 billion of profits earned in 2018.
Link.

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
If you complain about taxes, don’t live in ca. If you live in CA, don’t complain. Your taxes only go up not down. My property tax go up each and every year

Reactions: ColdEye