GWS at Catalina

Sep 3, 2014
Name
Anil
Boat
26' CC - Endorfin
Fished the island yesterday. Around 4pm we were trolling empire landing and spotted a GWS. By the time we got close and I pulled the gopro out it had sunk out. Spotted it again about 10 minutes later and sunk out quickly.

We had been swimming at one of the beaches about two hours prior just a few miles south of the area

It'll be a warm weekend. Keep an eye out if you decide to swim

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
Thanks for the heads up. After a friend told me he saw one destroy a sea lion by the quarry,I think twice before taking a dip!

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Yes always around. Have been for some time.

Reactions: jgf and Hooops
Upvote 0

Catalina CD

Cockdie Win's!!!
May 14, 2011
Avalon, CA
Name
Jamie Hmielak
Boat
Steiger Craft 21 Miami
Yes...they are wise to hangout around Catalina. They have an unlimited sea lion buffet spread out for 'em. Nice seeing them around.

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

There are more resident white sharks at Catalina and in SoCal than people are willing to believe. 13 6-10' juvies spotted in HB about a week ago all at the same time, right along the coast.
Sea Lion maintenance...

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I was surfing El Porto last Winter and had a juvenile 9 footer swim right in front of me.....close enough to pat his head. On another day in the same location, we saw one breach right behind another surfer. Scared the shit out of him!! :D

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
I hope by the end of the season they are as fat as Al Sharpton was 10 years ago...

Upvote 0

fishingsurfing

Tuna Twin
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
Name
Andy
Boat
Tiderunner 195 "Tuna Twins"
I do and have for 50 plus years. What is your point? Did you read my previous post?
My point is most of theses people on here view it from a fisherman's perspective, they hope the seal population should be downsized by the gw sharks (which I believe too). But from a surfers perspective this large increase of shark sightings make you worry deep down

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    You must not have very much fun surfing if your worried about that all the time,what are the odds?Better to worry about getting run over or in a wreck than getting sharkbit.

Upvote 0

fishingsurfing

Tuna Twin
    May 30, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Tiderunner 195 "Tuna Twins"
    You must not have very much fun surfing if your worried about that all the time,what are the odds?Better to worry about getting run over or in a wreck than getting sharkbit.
    Obviously I don't enjoy surfing
    end8.jpg

Reactions: dweston and ghierro
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My son and I went swimming at Empire yesterday after loading up on yellows. Damn shark might have mistaken me for an elephant seal. Lucky me. I hope my son does not read this thread! I will post some pics from our trip tomorrow.
    :Beat_Them

Upvote 0