MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
I need a good gun safe for my northern Wisconsin place, but it is surprisingly difficult to find the variety available in southern Cal (and very expensive to move).
I haven't bought a gun safe in years, but the one I have in Cal has an S&G combo lock, which can be user re-set. Now, most safes seem to have e-locks. Since have received conflicting advice from various dealers, my question for the brain trust here is whether I can easily replace an e lock with a mechanical lock of my choice (which would likely be user programable S&G mechanical). Any other advice about where to buy a safe (for use up here) or who to hire to deliver (circuitous stairway with a total of 30 steps, with landings and turns after after every 4 or 5 steps). Thanks, Rick

Upvote 0

popx5

Jun 27, 2008
7000'
Name
Tom
Boat Name
Montauk
I bought a amsec long gun safe years ago And am happy with it. I went to their manufacturing place in Fontana and bout a scratch n dent one. Barely had a mark on one side. Huge discount. They loaded it in my truck and I drove away. It had the elock and I have had zero issues with it. Needed a skid steer to unload. Might be worth a try..

Reactions: tbev and MYNomad
Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat Name
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
I love my Sturdy Safe. The door is so tight you can't fit a credit card between the door. It survived a garage fire with no smoke damage to the items inside. Very heavy, all steel no concrete. I upgraded the thickness and stainless-steel plating. https://www.sturdysafe.com/

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Has Moderator Powers
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Franks ho
When I bought my Canon safe . I got the combination/e lock. It was an extra $300.
But if the e lock ever fails. You can always get in the safe.
I couldn't imagine moving this thing.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
When I bought my Canon safe . I got the combination/e lock. It was an extra $300.
But if the e lock ever fails. You can always get in the safe.
I couldn't imagine moving this thing.
My concern is that if the e-lock fails I won't be able to get in. How can you get in if it fails,, or was that a typo?

Reactions: sealskinner
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
My liberty is close to 2000lbs empty,i have no idea how you get that up flights of stairs,maybe crane it in?When they installed mine it took 4 guys and some specialized equipment that used air so they could even move it and they still cracked a few tiles in my laundry room as they passed through.
I had a cannon before and it weighed 1/4 of the liberty,so maybe a lighter model for upstairs?

Upvote 0

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
Chula Vista
Name
Leonard Gibson
Boat Name
SS Minnow
You should probably ask yourself what you expect from your safe. Do you need quick access to your guns. If so, then an e-lock is probably a better choice. What is your budget? Do you want longer fire protection? All safe's can be defeated. Some easier than other's. Determine how much you should budget on the safe. Don't cheap out on a $800 safe if you have $10k+ worth of guns. You should also consider the placement of your safe. Don't place it in garage in open if it can be seen from the street. Ensure that your safe is also bolted down and potentially limited access to sides to reduce the effectiveness of using crowbars or other tools. If someone really wants your stuff, they can get it with effort. This is why you should have a layered defense to include cameras and alarm system. Lastly, just like concealed carry, minimize the people you let know you have a safe.

Reactions: openclass
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
You should probably ask yourself what you expect from your safe. Do you need quick access to your guns. If so, then an e-lock is probably a better choice. What is your budget? Do you want longer fire protection? All safe's can be defeated. Some easier than other's. Determine how much you should budget on the safe. Don't cheap out on a $800 safe if you have $10k+ worth of guns. You should also consider the placement of your safe. Don't place it in garage in open if it can be seen from the street. Ensure that your safe is also bolted down and potentially limited access to sides to reduce the effectiveness of using crowbars or other tools. If someone really wants your stuff, they can get it with effort. This is why you should have a layered defense to include cameras and alarm system. Lastly, just like concealed carry, minimize the people you let know you have a safe.
Good advice. Thank you.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
I ended up with a e-lock Rhino and am pretty satisfied that 1) no one is cracking the lock, and 2) the lock will be trouble free, even if I lose battery power etc. The lock is EMP "resistant" (not proof), so in that respect a mechanical lock would be better, but if it comes down to that, I have bigger problems. Like nothing is going to work.

Upvote 0