Guide wrap - writers block

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by tgorman, Jan 7, 2018.

1. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    When it comes to guides.. I get frozen and cannot come up with ideas and I have been watching a lot of what some of the guys at Rod class do and here and RBO etc. JT always has some cool stuff too. But, I struggle with ideas.. to tie it all together messing with thread and colors and what looks good on the stripper guides.. doesnt look so hot on the small runners at the top as you dont have the same space for the design.. (or I dont give myself enough)
    This time I am using the outside band with base color gold to make it easier. I noticed Len does that and it looks so much cleaner then trying to do bands after the base wrap.

I am kind of excited about this build and doing a Dorado theme and it was sort of by mistake with the marbling ideas I messed with last week. So I started a RCLB80M and have a silver reel seat Chrome guides and a gold base wrap down and ready to marble. but before I do.. I wanted some feedback on the guide wraps

The Top photo on the left side I just roughed in and it is sloppy I did in 15 min but sort of leaning toward that one. Dont want it to be too busy to distract from the marbling. I think if I tossed in a JTOB's etc. it would be too much.
    Thoughts?

2nd idea.JPG First idea.JPG

2. Lundalakan

Lundalakan Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    Bottom pic left wrap is my choice.

3. jg125

jg125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    I think that color is a personal thing what ever floats your boat I am digging blue bottom left.

4. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    Bottom left X3. I agree color is a personal thing. I think inlay (JTOB) work can look good with marbling but also agree that with the colors being used it would get lost. An inlay (JTOB) would probably be more well suited with dark thread. Your marbling and threadwork will stand out even more on the darker blank.

5. JTrelikes

JTrelikes I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat:
    Bubba Jean 28
    Other than color selection..........thing that jumps out of the photos immediately to me is the shorter front wrap in comparison to the back wrap. Need to center up those guides to even them up.

Sometimes we look or measure from the point of the guide foot........rather the spot of the foot where the wrap will end. Not all guides have even length feet.

usraptr, Lundalakan, cmepen and 2 others like this.
  6. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180

This is scrap test blank I got from Don and has some marbling ideas on it. So I've been using it to mess with colors. It is not an actual build. And like I mentioned I liked this particular one so much I changed my build colors and went and got some thread combos and was practicing JTOB's and some different bands. And trying to do something new.. basically .. bored.

I often do a few test guides to see what I like and usually bring it to class on Tuesday to get critiqued.

And yeah.. that not being on center .. caused me some grief on my first build. And the back of the guide foot was longer and it was out of balance. I was using the EYE as the center and it was all fobar LOL. Einar and Len showed me how they do it and I sort of adapted my way from theres. I started to measure from the point of the guide foot from where I think it will end my wrap. I use 15M for 8s 18M for 10s etc Than center the guide. I usually just put the guide on the ruler and eyeball where I want the inlay or what every I am doing in the middle. Been much easier. Using a ruler and having a plan works.

Those feet get even shorter when you screw up on the grinder too..

JTrelikes likes this.
  7. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    Well after more variations and more use of razor blade then I care to admit.
    My daughter convinced me to put the green in and I think I nailed it.
    Pretty happy with this. Only thing not happy with is the gray I used on this must have been different than the test marbling. it is a lot darker and more gray then silver.. oh well.

Dorado Guide.JPG

8. FARRIER

FARRIER Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    None
    That guide looks awesome.

tgorman likes this.
  9. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Came out nice,like the gold! The only suggestion I would have is to use lighter and darker colors together so you get some contrast. The light blue and light green blend together a bit so it's hard to see. Might look good with cobalt blue so the green would stand out more. Nice looking wrap, looks dialed in.

10. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    Channeling my inner JTrelikes ....
    Attempt one at saw blade
    Undecided if I want to match that at the top or exactly like a guide wrap
    I did it like a guide wrap.. and tempted to put some blades at top too.

UGGG.. I just blew up the picture and realized I cannot count to 4.. %@$#%@#$%@#$

Saw Blade Trim Band v1.JPG Butt Wrap finish.JPG

stella marina likes this.