ibdfishkiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2009
McFarland California
Name
Andy
Boat
Buying a new one
Hey guys just starting this new addiction and got a question (sure I will have more as time goes on) but how do you decide guide size for a blank? I am going to build a Seeker Hercules GTS70L in conventional and not sure what size guides. Not sure if there is a place to look up proper guide sizes for builds or if it is just personal preference. Thanks for any Info and help.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I don't know what that blank is but a 24 or 20 would most likely be the first guide.Taper it down from there to probably an 8 or 9 ?

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Guide size : always take into consideration the reel that you are going use on it.. if its taller start out with a bigger guide size... another thing I do is I generally put a tiptop on thats one size larger than the first guide . if I am using short top shots and floro leaders I like the knots to follow easy with out hanging up .
just my opinion....

Reactions: esgeo

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Does Seeker give out that info? You could find a factory one and copy it.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
For conventional, consider what kind of reel (low and wide, or tall and narrow?) and what the grip is going to be (long and likely going to rub on the line if the first guide is too low?).

If you aren't sure I'd just get a variety of guides and play around with them on the blank with the reel you have. The first guide is going to be something like a 25, 20 or 16. Then choose what the smallest guide would be. I'm guessing for that build it will be either a 10 or an 8 if you want it to be like a normal live bait rod.

Reactions: ibdfishkiller