Guide recommendation for Rainshadow trout rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by YT Addict, Apr 4, 2011.

1. YT Addict

YT Addict YT Addict

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    Anybody have any good suggestions for guides for a 6-foot Forecast RX6 2-piece trout rod rated 2-6 lbs? The guy will use it on backpack hikes so we wanna keep it light. Thinking of doing a split-grip as well.

2. clamkin

clamkin RodWerX

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    ThunderJet
    Alps LXN series. Pick your color.

3. YT Addict

YT Addict YT Addict

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    Oh, I forgot to mention it's for a spinning reel. Thanks in advance :)

4. YT Addict

YT Addict YT Addict

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    Those American Tackle A-Frames look pretty cool. Anybody use these and have anything good to say about em?

5. Taz575

Taz575 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    none
    I've used the Am Tack A frames before, nice guides. For a trout rod like that, I use the XY guides from Batson with the H ring. The guides themselves are fairly light weight and work well with the UL rods.

6. babachu

babachu Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    None
    I've built several of the sp721 rods and my favorite guides are the fuji byag concept guides- you can get standard height frames or the short guides-

7. bowhunter29

bowhunter29 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy Wagner
    Boat:
    none
    I've built a few of those rods too, trout are one of my favorite fish to chase. I would go with Pac Bay Minimas. Something like 20, 12, 6, 3's to the tip. You can easily start with a 16 with line that light but I prefer to start with a larger guide on my personal rods.

jeremy

8. Bill Batson

Bill Batson Bill Batson Advertiser

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    I would recommend the ALPS XYTLG20, 12, 10 guides and the XPFLG 08, 07, 06 guides with the matching XPPLT06R tip top>>this would make a sweet spinning rod. We also have all the split grips and everything else to build this rod.. Acid Rod / C&M are a great source for the Whole Batson line up in CA>>
    can we get some support? I do not see Fuji, American Tackle, PacBay on this board helping/supporting>< even though Fuji makes a nice product and has been around for a long time>
    >sorry for the rant but just making a point>>support those that support our craft/lifestyle and actually care about the well being and future of this great Craft/Lifestyle.

Batson TEAM
    877-875-2381
    Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
    www.batsonenterprises.com
    [email protected]

9. venturarodlure

venturarodlure ventura rod and lure co

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    DD-637,DMS-30
    I have 2 RFS spinners we are building and a couple trout rods for one of my buddies. They all have Alps single foot guides. Batson supplied us with the guides and handles for the RFS rods. I was already using them for my light spinning rods. They are sweet and they are inexpensive. As far as suport, there is only one manufacturer who consistently steps up to support whatever people need for charity or projects for kids or whatever is for the good of rodbuilding in general and that is Batson Enterprises. There are other companies such as Amtak and Fuji that have reps that cruise the board, but they don't go out of there way to say if you need anything contact me and we'll make it happen. Bill Batson does that kind of stuff. So, without a second thought I use their products on as many customer and charity rods as possible. Never had a blank break, never had a guide ring pop out, and most importantly to me, dealing with their company has always left me feeling positive. Bill deserves more credit than we can give him.

10. Mosquito Lagoon

Mosquito Lagoon rodguild.com

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "I smell a Rat"
    X2!!! Good call Bill. Those that support our craft should be supported by us as well. These are the bonds that make our craft stand out above and beyond all others.

11. YT Addict

YT Addict YT Addict

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    Absolutely, Bill. Sorry I only mentioned Amtak...I just happened to have their catalog in my binder that I use to browse components when I'm getting ready to start a new project. My customer has no preference so I'm open to just about any brand so long as it's not gonna break and make me look bad. I've heard lots of good things about Batson but for some reason I just wasn't thinking of it when I started this thread. I will add your website to my favorites toolbar right next to Acidrod. I deal with them quite a bit. Thanks alot for all you and your company do for the rod building society and thanks for your suggestion.

12. Mark@AcidRod

[email protected] .com

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Yours, lets go!
    Brent,

If he's doing the Sierra's, micro's can be a PIA because of icing, even in the Summer months. A #5 running guide/tip combo is the smallest you can get away with over 7000', and even those may need to be dipped in the water every 5-6 casts to get the ice out of the tip. 6's are safe year round.

Assuming he's using something along the lines of a 750 Shimano I'll usually use a high frame (ALPS "YT" or Fuji BYAG) 20 (or 16), 12, 8, followed by low ring running guides (ALPS Lite XP or Fuji BLAG) in #6 all the way to the tip. One thing that gives the XP's the edge IMO is that the ring sits a little higher (more of a "stem" in the frame) which makes it easier to get a lock wrap on them w/o ending up with finish on the ring/side of the frame.

A lot of guys building rods for local or the Sierra's go mega small/light guides with titanium frames trying to eeek every bit of sensitivity out of the rod that they can. It makes them feel better, but in reality, I doubt it catches them any more fish... They do "win" at the campfire for what their rod cost though. lol Keep a close eye on the weight of the running guides & wraps, but on an RX6 blank, you don't have to go over board.

Also, if your customer is a serious backpacker (packing more than a few miles) he might prefer a four piece because it won't be sticking up out of the pack and above his head. Bill makes a 4pc RX6 2-3wt 6'6" blank (F662-4 @ $28) that's popular for packing as it breaks down to about 21" (VS 38" on a 6' 2pc). That's a whole lot less gettin' it caught in the trees on the trail.

If you can get his reel and get with me at the shop, I can show you how to seriously dial the guides in. I can show you the "Forhan locking wrap" too if you don't already know it. Just make sure to set it up with me ahead of time.

13. Mark@AcidRod

[email protected] .com

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Yours, lets go!
    Dude, you've been throwing "lifestyle" around a lot lately... You guys swingin' while wrapping up there or something?

14. bonescustoms

bonescustoms Captain....Actually, ya

Name:
    steven
    Boat:
    stolen
    ?????????

15. YT Addict

YT Addict YT Addict

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    WOW, Awesome!!! I will contact him and get back with you. He's supposed to put down a deposit on Thur or Fri so I can buy the blank and guides.

16. Calico Killer

Calico Killer Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Boat
    For this kind of UL rod, I'd highly recommend Fuji TKTAG transition to micro guides. This will cut down on weight. Also, the high framed guides look cool and function io keep the line path from the reel straighter.

Also, the lightest, most comfortable grip in trout rods IMO are Cork Tennessee grips with slip rings.

17. Taz575

Taz575 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    none
    I tried micro guides on a UL 5' rod and it sucked casting with very light lures (1/64oz jighead and small plastic trout magnet) because there wasn't enough weight being cast to really pull the line straight thru the micro guides. I went back to the setup recommended by Batson and I was casting a TON farther than with the micro setup. If you are casting metal spoons and spinners, the micro's may work, but if you are casting very light lures, it may not. Something to be aware of!

I have used the Batson XY guides on several trout rods and will not hesitate to keep using them! I have some sets of rollers incoming, as well as their Turbo style guides and XN and MXN guides. I've been very impressed with the Batson products and I haven't had any issues with any of them to date. I have had issues with other brands of guides and items (Fuji, Am Tackle, Perfection, etc) but no problems with anything from Batson yet!

18. bowhunter29

bowhunter29 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy Wagner
    Boat:
    none
    I cast extremely light lures with size 3.5 micros on my trout and small bass rods without any issues, they all cast further with micro setups because of the weight reduction. What guide setup were you using and what was your spacing?

jeremy

19. Taz575

Taz575 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    none
    I don't remember off the top of my head. It was a Phenix Mirage blank (5'). I tried several combinations of guides: 20, 12, 6, 4mm micros, 20, 10, 5mm, 4mm micros, 16, 10, 6, 4mm micros. I moved the guides around closer and farther apart when I test casted to try to get it to work. I noticed the line really bunching at the micros a lot and really slowing down. I tried a micro 4mm tip and a normal size 6 tip. Maybe the 1000 size reel was too big? I asked on other boards and was told that under 1/4oz lure was too light to pull the line thru the micros fast enough to get the line to straighten out fully. When I get more time, I will get a 500 size reel and try it again.