Baby J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
He’s good sized for a non halibut flat fish. That’s a big ziplock like 2.5 or 3 gallon I believe. He’s going in the freezer for later use....

image.jpg

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
That's no sand-dab.....that I know, at least the sand-dabs I catch...some type of sole???

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I’m not sure. I haven’t caught a sanddab in a long time. You’re probably right.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I was going to eat it but then I saw all the health warnings for bottom fish around Port Angeles. I have enough health issues and don’t need any more.

Reactions: Calis

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Hmmm the top side with the pointed snout looks like an English sole to me but with the flip side I can see some striping in the fins which would make me say a Starry Flounder. Can't see the outside fins in the top pictures. Is the skin really course almost like a sandpaper? If so it's probably a Starry.

Last edited:

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
100% starry flounder. The diamond shape and striped fins are a dead giveaway.

Pretty strange you caught that trolling way up in the water column.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
Yeah it was definitely a shock to see for sure but then I thought maybe it just happens sometimes. I’d have to say Gooch came the closest.

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Not sure what you have there but, caught a 8". Sanddab with 45' of wire out in 380'fow the other day in ma 11. Drug the rod down like seaweed does.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
Not sure what you have there but, caught a 8". Sanddab with 45' of wire out in 380'fow the other day in ma 11. Drug the rod down like seaweed does.
That’s exactly what it did with me. Popped out of the clip and didn’t make the rod bounce at all just pulled like seaweed. I only knew for sure I had something when it was pulling out to the side of the flasher. Ended up catching two wild coho out in that rough water but nothing made it to the ice chest other than this starry lol. Looked like the two other boats out there were catching a few coho as well.

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
I've heard that the oxygen levels are so depleted near the bottom those flatfish of all kinds come to the surface to breathe and feed ? Not sure if it's 100% true or not !

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Starry for sure. Sand dabs have more of a smooth top side, as well as, they have the rounded and fluked fins, where the starry has the triangular shape. They are aggressive little bastards.

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Yep. Starry Flounder for sure. Has anybody ever filleted one right out of the water and thrown it back overboard and watched it swim away?

Salmonmoocher

"Holding My Own Rod"
Sep 9, 2009
Puyallup, WA - USA
Name
Billy Bob
Boat
27' Grady White "Main Break Too", 17' Seaswirl CC "Salmonmoocher"
Looks like you hooked Dumbass that responded to this nonsense
It’s gonna be. Long off season :finger::finger:

Reactions: Calis

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Flatfish come up in the water column all the time. Go to any of the local fishing piers and you have a good chance to see them near the surface. They are attracted to the lights just like anything else that swims. A few years back I was a salmon mooching trip on the Hula Girl out of Westport and then then deck hand, now co-captain Jason Westrick told me the sole were up in the water column feeding on the small blue jellyfish. I didn't want to believe that even a stupid sole was dumb enough to eat those, but sure enough!! At one point Jason hollers for me and a lady customer had a sole with a hugely swollen belly. Looked like it swallowed a tennis ball. Jason unhooked , turned it upside down and squeezed. Partially digested gelatinous jelly goo oozed outta that fish for a long time. Ick, gross and double barf bags! Haven't wanted to eat a sole since then either.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
Damn you guys are harsh. Must be jelly that you can’t catch flounder on the troll. :rolleyes: