Guadalupe still being fished this year?

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I sure hope it opens up, having that option on my 10 day at the end of November is huge,. It literally saved our trip last year on the AA because the water at the rocks and ridge had turned over and it was dead
Some boats that hit the lower banks last year late Nov/early Dec did very well. I opted to do my first 10-day at the beginning of Nov this year hoping to get into lots of wahoo. And for the options those extra three days allow. While I've been trying to get back to Lupe the past two years without success, I'm still optimistic and happy with the options this year without Lupe in the picture. Bluefin, YF and quality YT in day range off SD, the lower banks, the ridge and rocks. We had a great bite on 18-20 lb YT at one of the island areas on the way back to SD last year in early Dec. And a good chance at lower head counts on lots of trips this year. If my trip is going, I'm going.

Reactions: Peg North

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
So since my trip is supposed to be Guadalupe for December 4-11 shud I cancel or still go and get lucky hoping theirs giants around locally at that time?
The destinations listed are considered "possible." Even with permits they might not go there. You take long range trips so the captain has options on where he takes you for the best chances at quality fish. Like Tom said, just go fishing. Leave the destination up to the guy who knows best.

Reactions: Tedward2020

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Some boats that hit the lower banks last year late Nov/early Dec did very well. I opted to do my first 10-day at the beginning of Nov this year hoping to get into lots of wahoo. And for the options those extra three days allow. While I've been trying to get back to Lupe the past two years without success, I'm still optimistic and happy with the options this year without Lupe in the picture. Bluefin, YF and quality YT in day range off SD, the lower banks, the ridge and rocks. We had a great bite on 18-20 lb YT at one of the island areas on the way back to SD last year in early Dec. And a good chance at lower head counts on lots of trips this year. If my trip is going, I'm going.
I’ve fished the time slot after Thanksgiving on the AA the last two years. The first year it was an 8 day trip and we went to the rocks and ridge (no Lupe permits) and killed it on wahoo and school size yft. I came home with 14 wahoo, was just as good an 8-day as you could ask for. Got beat on the ride home but you expect that for that time frame.

Last year the water at the rocks rolled and the boats just drove past them. We spent most of 10 days fishing the Lupe and had good fishing on 80lb to 140lb yft. Almost plugged the boat.

Its a crap shoot time frame so the more options the better

Reactions: nicodemus

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
I’ve fished the time slot after Thanksgiving on the AA the last two years. The first year it was an 8 day trip and we went to the rocks and ridge (no Lupe permits) and killed it on wahoo and school size yft. I came home with 14 wahoo, was just as good an 8-day as you could ask for. Got beat on the ride home but you expect that for that time frame.

Last year the water at the rocks rolled and the boats just drove past them. We spent most of 10 days fishing the Lupe and had good fishing on 80lb to 140lb yft. Almost plugged the boat.

Its a crap shoot time frame so the more options the better
I will be there with you again this year, we will find fish one way or another. I'd be sad if the Lupe wasn't an option I love big fish fishing, but some guys would rather hit hoo and schoolies anyway.

That was a pretty epiq trip to the island last year cant always be that lucky.

I will be on the water, my dad will be with me this year, my freinds will be there i will have a great time as always.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
So since my trip is supposed to be Guadalupe for December 4-11 shud I cancel or still go and get lucky hoping theirs giants around locally at that time?
Keep your trip - great advice and reasons already from some very experienced long range anglers. You really never know what a trip will be like until you get on the trip. The one thing you can count on is the skipper and crew to do everything within their power to ensure everyone onboard has a great trip. Eight days gives them plenty of time to adjust to changes this far out as well as changes that might occur when you're out on the water.

You have spent a good bit of time and effort to get ready - don't let this Guadalupe news discourage you.

Reactions: SCHeadhunter

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Keep your trip - great advice and reasons already from some very experienced long range anglers. You really never know what a trip will be like until you get on the trip. The one thing you can count on is the skipper and crew to do everything within their power to ensure everyone onboard has a great trip. Eight days gives them plenty of time to adjust to changes this far out as well as changes that might occur when you're out on the water.

You have spent a good bit of time and effort to get ready - don't let this Guadalupe news discourage you.
I plan on going just like others wanted to fish Guadalupe but it is called fishing not catching!!!! Just want to spend time on the water fishing I trust the boat and they know where to go not me....still a week fishing I’ll take it!!!

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I will be there with you again this year, we will find fish one way or another. I'd be sad if the Lupe wasn't an option I love big fish fishing, but some guys would rather hit hoo and schoolies anyway.

That was a pretty epiq trip to the island last year cant always be that lucky.

I will be on the water, my dad will be with me this year, my freinds will be there i will have a great time as always.
Right on, see you on the dock. All the Santa Cruz guys are back on the trip Along with Gary. Good group to spend 10 days with and catch a few fish