Guadalupe Island White Sharks

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
The think that pisses me off is smaller fish you can catch but hook a big one fight it and get it right to the boat and whitey is right there to eat your fish. I had one well over 100, long fight on 50 and gw are it with a gaff already in it. Was awesome to see but that was jackpot fish.

Reactions: cortezpirasea

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
I was there last DEC. At the tuna area, lots of seals making bait fishing a challenge - but no sharks. Inside the island fishing for yellows was a different story. The GW were patrolling the shoreline waiting for the seal pups to venture out and BAM. The yellowtail hooking was good - but we got very few to the boat. I thought all the GW's left the island - well, not all of them.
Well hopefully this December trip 12-4 to 12-11 will be better haha but the tax man loves his money!!! Greedy bastard😝

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
They are typically gone by late October or November. At least most of them are gone. There are still enough to make things interesting.
They might usually be gone, but we had lots of shark problems in mid to late October. I lost one nice YFT near color and I was winding hard. Other people lost fish too - see photos. Thank goodness on the third day the sharks visited two new boats to eat their fish. I got this guy while they were elsewhere. The photos show whitey was definitely there.

7279474D-0717-4699-8F47-F8A8CC7C6F0D.jpeg

2A937B45-12F4-4DD0-B0A4-27B3560295B0.jpeg

ACC8AFBD-F2AC-49DD-90A9-D44BC83CC0B7.jpeg

8302098C-9E55-4CC4-A414-CDA35193233E.jpeg

Reactions: woodfish330

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Seen so many GW's through out the years. ..and have many GW stories. Local.... Farallon Islands.... Guadalupe all of them show learned "area" behavior.
One thing I will say..... have baited many and caught a few. When they eat the bait and feel the hook..... they act quite differently. Whether you get them or not.... I believe the other "local" great whites become aware of the "battle". .... and bail.

What I mean by this..... is if there were 2 or 3 GW's working the boat.... they "disappeared" and usually for at least the rest of the day. Strange.... kinda.... but I did note it was consistant..... from my notebooks.... on 6 different trips to the "LUPE". FALL....SPRING, didn't matter. Hurt one.... and the others disappeared for the rest of the day.

Same thing at the FARALLONS and Ano Nuevo. In both these areas they are hunting different prey..... using different stalking styles..... yet react the same way. Will admit on one trip..... we would "purposely" hook one early every morning we were there. (no not a mackerel and a 9/0....but 25# chunk and "chain hook") The results.... we fished for 4 days.... and lost 2 or 3 fish total. Those were caught in the dark.

Can't do that now for sure. ...but interesting observations. One last thing.... When your own fish is being "targeted" by ANY shark.... you'll feel it become frantic in its tailbeat. I have saved numerous YFT and YT there by quickly backing the drag off..... allowing your fish to flee that threat. At that point in the fight. .... what do you have to lose, right? Just don't "saw off" other nearby anglers while doing this last ditch effort!!

Good luck brother.