tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Since this is the PENN forum, I will gently steer lengthy discussions of other brands to their respective pages, or the "general" pages..
Now, regarding finicky Guadalupe tuna, [or finicky 50-90 pounders anywhere], the reel you need to have is either the PENN Torque TRQ15LD2 or Torque TRQ15XNLD2.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
At Guadalupe this December on the Torque TRQ15LD2.

Steve Owner cropped.jpg

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
So now we are talking about a super narrow 3/0?

Wasn't it a trip on the searcher where one of the other pro staff memebers was using a TRQXN15 with 40lb braid to 40 flouro?

There are two different versions designated "15" in the Torque lineup.
The TRQ15LD2 is the one I used for the fish pictured above.
It is the same size as a classic PENN145/Newell 229.
That was me on the Searcher, using the "other" Torque 15, which is indeed an "super-narrow" 3/0 sideplate; essentially an even narrower version of the popular TRQ25NLD2.
The first one gives lighter overall reel weight and also lighter spool weight. The second gives larger gear train and drag surface, with higher max drag capabilities.
Your call regarding which is most important to you.

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    So I booked my first Guadalupe trip and I've got a daiwa Lexa 400 for casting surface irons- #40
    Avet mxl raptor- #50
    Penn spinfisher 10500 for fun- #50
    Avet LX raptor- #60
    Avet hx- #60
    And Avet hxw raptor- #100
    You guys think I'm set for the trip?

I think you'll need a 30# set up too. Fished guadalupe last year on the Indy and the fish were kinda line shy. I landed the jack pot fish on 30# which was an 80# YFT. Since this is a Penn forum I would add that I bought a Penn fathom 25N 2 speed reel spooled with 60# braid and a short 30# flouro leader and my first fish caught on it was a 60# YFT at guadalupe. The fathom reel handled the fish really well and would have to say I was really impressed with the little guy. I would definitely add one to your arsenal. I ended up fishing mostly 30# at guadalupe surprisingly because everyone I talked to before that trip said that you wont need anything less than 40-50# at the island. Needless to say I was really glad I brought a couple of 30# set ups because I land the jackpot fish and another quality fish.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpg
      IMG_1696.jpg
      333.9 KB · Views: 175
    • IMG_1671.jpg
      IMG_1671.jpg
      452.5 KB · Views: 184
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Since this is the PENN forum, I will gently steer lengthy discussions of other brands to their respective pages, or the "general" pages..
    Now, regarding finicky Guadalupe tuna, [or finicky 50-90 pounders anywhere], the reel you need to have is either the PENN Torque TRQ15LD2 or Torque TRQ15XNLD2.
    Tunanorth; I am looking at a possible shot at Guadalupe Island in Mid October 2020 on the Red Rooster. I just purchased a Penn Fathom FTH40NLDS that I will put on 85# braid backing, with a top shot of 50#-60# mono or flouro. After reading your post, should I be looking a 40# as the top shot, or leave it at 50#-60# and use a FTH 30 star drag as the 30#-40# set up?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Tunanorth; I am looking at a possible shot at Guadalupe Island in Mid October 2020 on the Red Rooster. I just purchased a Penn Fathom FTH40NLDS that I will put on 85# braid backing, with a top shot of 50#-60# mono or flouro. After reading your post, should I be looking a 40# as the top shot, or leave it at 50#-60# and use a FTH 30 star drag as the 30#-40# set up?

First, just want to make sure of the reel model you have:
    Is it the 40NLD2 or the 40NLDHS ?
    The "HS" is not a good Guadalupe reel at all, so assuming you have the "LD2", generally 80 pound backing is favored, though occasionally anglers who want/need maximum yardage may choose to go with 65.
    This is a workhorse reel for Guadalupe, and can fish 50-60-80 pound topshots, depending on what the fish will bite.
    The "sweet spot" is 60 pound.
    Also, there are times where it is difficult to get a bite on the heavier line, but you do it anyway due to the sharks.
    During the 2019 season, there were a number of occasions where you had to use 40 pound to get a bite, and even a few times when you had to use 30 pound.
    A 25N or 30-size Fathom is perfect for that, though IMO you really do need it to be a 2-speed.
    Even in "no shark" conditions, a 2-speed allows you to keep the fish moving steadily toward you, and cuts the total fighting time down considerably. The longer the fight time, the more chances there are for "something" to go wrong.

Reactions: Eric Ancog
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    The "HS" is not a good Guadalupe reel at all, so assuming you have the "LD2", generally 80 pound backing is favored, though occasionally anglers who want/need maximum yardage may choose to go with 65.
    This is a workhorse reel for Guadalupe, and can fish 50-60-80 pound topshots, depending on what the fish will bite.
    Also, there are times where it is difficult to get a bite on the heavier line, but you do it anyway due to the sharks.
    During the 2019 season, there were a number of occasions where you had to use 40 pound to get a bite, and even a few times when you had to use 30 pound.
    A 25N or 30-size Fathom is perfect for that, though IMO you really do need it to be a 2-speed.
    Even in "no shark" conditions, a 2-speed allows you to keep the fish moving steadily toward you, and cuts the total fighting time down considerably. The longer the fight time, the more chances there are for "something" to go wrong.
    Tunanurth; Thank you for your reply. It is the FTH40NLD2 reel. If the situation should arise that 30# is needed, I could change out the topshot on the 40NLD2, if necessary, to 30#.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Steve, this thread is funny, started in 2015 after some of those Shogun trips. I was on one.

I think it would be instructive to talk about rod type / length. You mentioned in one of our discussions you have been using longer rods for casting distance due to seals or other nuisances.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Tunanurth; Thank you for your reply. It is the FTH40NLD2 reel. If the situation should arise that 30# is needed, I could change out the topshot on the 40NLD2, if necessary, to 30#.

Certainly the reel can handle it, just be aware that in "ultra finesse" situations it still has a heavier spool than the smaller reels, and the generally heavier rods that match it best may lead to an increase in pulled hooks.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Steve, this thread is funny, started in 2015 after some of those Shogun trips. I was on one.

I think it would be instructive to talk about rod type / length. You mentioned in one of our discussions you have been using longer rods for casting distance due to seals or other nuisances.

Ha-Ha, one question at a time.
    It is true that the typical rod has evolved over the past couple of years from 7 feet to 7.5 or even 8 feet.

Upvote 0

Cody B

Almost A Member
    Feb 21, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Cody
    Boat
    NA
    @tunanorth
    Which Carnage rod would you recommend for the Penn Fathom 40NLD2 with 80lb braid to 60 pound mono top shot. The 7' medium heavy rated 50-130lb or the heavy rated 80-200lb?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    @tunanorth
    Which Carnage rod would you recommend for the Penn Fathom 40NLD2 with 80lb braid to 60 pound mono top shot. The 7' medium heavy rated 50-130lb or the heavy rated 80-200lb?

Unfortunately, neither of those rods is a good match for the FTH40NLD2, or with a 60 pound topshot.
    The braid ratings can indeed be confusing.
    The 50-130 model matches the FTH25NLD2 reel well, and fishes 30-40 pound topshots best.
    The 80-200 model matches best with a FTH30LD2 reel, and 40-50 pound topshots.

Upvote 0

Cody B

Almost A Member
    Feb 21, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Cody
    Boat
    NA
    Unfortunately, neither of those rods is a good match for the FTH40NLD2, or with a 60 pound topshot.
    The braid ratings can indeed be confusing.
    The 50-130 model matches the FTH25NLD2 reel well, and fishes 30-40 pound topshots best.
    The 80-200 model matches best with a FTH30LD2 reel, and 40-50 pound topshots.
    What rod would you recommend for a 60lb top shot?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    What rod would you recommend for a 60lb top shot?

Lots of good choices, depending on what length you like.
    As noted, a lot of people are going with 8 footers for the casting advantages; something like an 800XH would match that reel well.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    It's probably already been said but the 15xnld2 is a badass little 40lb reel for the Lupe. Fill it with 40lb or 50lb spectra and a longer flouro top shot and it's more then up to the challenge of the 60lb-100lb fish there

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    It's probably already been said but the 15xnld2 is a badass little 40lb reel for the Lupe. Fill it with 40lb or 50lb spectra and a longer flouro top shot and it's more then up to the challenge of the 60lb-100lb fish there

I agree, I love that reel for up to 100 pound fish. The line capacity gets a little skinny if they are bigger than that, but the gears/drag have no issues at all.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Junior-Assistant-Deputy CharterMaster in Training
    Feb 25, 2007
    South Bay, L.A., CA
    Name
    JC
    Boat
    INTREPID
    For any situation where you may have long soaks, (Alijos Rocks, back in the day, Guadalupe) Penn 25-II for 400-500 yards Of 40-50# braid, 40-II for 400-500 yards of 60-80# braid.
    15 has Enough power but maybe not Enough capacity if a long run happens after a long soak

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    For any situation where you may have long soaks, (Alijos Rocks, back in the day, Guadalupe) Penn 25-II for 400-500 yards Of 40-50# braid, 40-II for 400-500 yards of 60-80# braid.
    15 has Enough power but maybe not Enough capacity if a long run happens after a long soak

You’re absolutely right and it’s the chance you take there. Especially when you go with the smaller reels. If it’s a picky bite it’s worth taking that chance

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Since Guadalupe was closed for the past year due to Covid, I am going to let this thread slide down the page, and will begin a new one after a few trips have re-visited the island in the "Post-Covid" era.

Upvote 0