Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Looking at getting a couple set ups for longe range fishing live bait and jigging. So far thinking shimano 1/speedmaster 25ii, 1/speedmaster 20ii, makeria 30 2 speed, rods options are UC rail rods rcx 76 viper,gladiator or centaur. Okuma pch kustom 741xxxh.... best suited for the reel and tuna class. Like to 5 setups 1 for cow tuna 250lb and up.
As soon as my trip is a go for December will be buying everything from rod and reel ,line, hooks etc thank you for ur time and input...😎

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Well if it’s like the last several years you will need a 30, 40, and if there going off 50lb setups. You will need to set strike at 30 percent, and max at about 50 percent to stop them going over the ridge if you can depending on what spot your fishing. Bring a 60, 80, 100 but they won’t see much use. As far as hooks, circles are a must with light line. Mustard 1.0 and 3.0. The 2.0 is the same wire size as 1.0 so no 2.0. The floro I have the best luck with is yo-zuri disappearing pink. Bring lots of it. And all the best equipment is of no matter to the sharks, they eat everything. Learn how to properly hook your baits. Nose, collar, butt and back depending on conditions of current and wind. Bring balloons, I use red ones as tuna seem curious of that color. There is a lot more to it, you will learn over time. Good luck.

Reactions: Rocket Dog

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Well if it’s like the last several years you will need a 30, 40, and if there going off 50lb setups. You will need to set strike at 30 percent, and max at about 50 percent to stop them going over the ridge if you can depending on what spot your fishing. Bring a 60, 80, 100 but they won’t see much use. As far as hooks, circles are a must with light line. Mustard 1.0 and 3.0. The 2.0 is the same wire size as 1.0 so no 2.0. The floro I have the best luck with is yo-zuri disappearing pink. Bring lots of it. And all the best equipment is of no matter to the sharks, they eat everything. Learn how to properly hook your baits. Nose, collar, butt and back depending on conditions of current and wind. Bring balloons, I use red ones as tuna seem curious of that color. There is a lot more to it, you will learn over time. Good luck.
Trying to start my inventory all I have is bass and catfish setups. I plan on buying a couple setups for my self then rent the rest to see what I like better... best place to buy bulk hooks for the money?

Reactions: H20buffalo112

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Good hooks are not sold in bulk. Mustard 1.0 3X strong circle demon. They know you will buy them and there are no deals. Best is buy 2 get one pack free at tackle days and day at the docks. Get there early as they always sell out.

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Charkbait is a good place to shop, especially if you have to do it long distance. Your trip in December unless it’s longer then 10 days won’t take you to cow town so you might want to focus on the set ups you’ll need at the Lupe or at Alijos Rocks. Most of your fishing will be done between 30lb and 60lb set ups.

there are a lot of good options out there to choose from. Do some reading in the Long Range forum and each of the sponsored reel forums. You can get trip reports from last year on what worked. What didn’t and form your own game plan

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Charkbait is a good place to shop, especially if you have to do it long distance. Your trip in December unless it’s longer then 10 days won’t take you to cow town so you might want to focus on the set ups you’ll need at the Lupe or at Alijos Rocks. Most of your fishing will be done between 30lb and 60lb set ups.

there are a lot of good options out there to choose from. Do some reading in the Long Range forum and each of the sponsored reel forums. You can get trip reports from last year on what worked. What didn’t and form your own game plan
Ya just that is what I’m doing I prefer getting something that will last for awhile instead of buying something cheap and have it breaking.. and for cows set up I need one for there and here for giant bft obx and PEI is north of me all giants!! Can’t decide on reels makerias, Talicas, speedmasters or cheap option penn fathoms.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
If you want a big reel I’d suggest the Mak 20 over the Mak 30. Add a Viper to go with it. Can use it for big tuna, dropper looping, trolling for wahoo. It’s easier to handle than the 30. I don’t have any experience with the Speedmasters so I can’t comment. The reels I’ve used at Guadalupe over the past several years are the Mak 10, Mak 15T, Penn Torque 40 NLD, and Mak 16. There are some very experienced Guadalupe fishermen that mainly use Talicas. I’ve had trips where we fished almost exclusively 60, another year I used only 40, and one year only 80, so you need to be prepared to fish 30-80 pound lines when tuna fishing. Bring fluoro in all those line classes. Hooks I’d lean towards Owner super mutus. The Shogun likes Eagle Claw Trokars- I’ve used them with good results.
If your trip is in December you should have less problems with the sharks. Earlier is usually worse. I was on an October trip where they were ravenous and took about 90% of what we hooked. We only fished there a couple of days because of how bad they were that year.

Reactions: Warlord

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Can’t decide on reels makerias, Talicas, speedmasters or cheap option penn fathoms.

A key fundamental choice [depending on line class] will be between "medium frame" and "heavy frame" reels.
Both frame styles have their advantages and disadvantages.
"Medium Frame" reels can be "mid-price" [like Speedmasters and Fathoms] or "premium price" [like Talicas, and PENN Torques].
Most "heavy frame" reels are premium-priced [MAK, PENN International, etc.].
Most anglers prefer medium frame for line classes up to 50 pound test, and some medium frame models like Fathom FTH40NLD2 or Torque TRQ40NLD2 are versatile enough to handle 50-60-80 pound duties.
Being broadly general, if you are thinking of a 60-80 reel, medium frame is fine, and of course they are lighter.
However, if you are thinking of a pure 80-pound reel, or even and 80-100 reel, then heavy frame is probably the better way to go.

Last edited:

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
From experience, if you are looking for long term use I recommend Accurate or Shimano Talica series for both medium and heavy frame reels. Check the Accurate Dauntless series for line class up to 80lbs and ATD for anything above that. Take into consideration the line class and the application you are using the reel (i.e. live bait or surface jugs you need a light frame reel, heavy jigs or dropper set ups medium frame and kite, chunck or troll heavy frame). Only disadvantage with Accurate is they do require more maintenance but they are solid as can by. I've landed BFT up to 100 lbs on a Dauntless 500N and up to 225lbs on an ATD 6. You can't go wrong with UC rods. Length is a preference and again take into consideration application. For bait GP or CE rods come in lengths from 7 to 10 feet up to 100 lbs class. For heavier I like the Viper 76 or gladiator have not needed anything heavier. Good luck !

Reactions: chisel675

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Trying to start my inventory all I have is bass and catfish setups. I plan on buying a couple setups for my self then rent the rest to see what I like better... best place to buy bulk hooks for the money?
What trip are you on?? If you are on a penn sponsored trip with @tunanorth, he supplies a lot of gear on the boat and he takes care of his stuff. By far my favorite sponsor for trips

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Ya just that is what I’m doing I prefer getting something that will last for awhile instead of buying something cheap and have it breaking.. and for cows set up I need one for there and here for giant bft obx and PEI is north of me all giants!! Can’t decide on reels makerias, Talicas, speedmasters or cheap option penn fathoms.
Personally I would go with the Penn Torque 2-speeds for the lighter frame reels. They're money out of the box and Penn supports them with parts and service even if they D/C a model. Some of those others can't say that. For the heavier frame reels Maks and the Penn VISX line up are the industry standards

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Personally I would go with the Penn Torque 2-speeds for the lighter frame reels. They're money out of the box and Penn supports them with parts and service even if they D/C a model. Some of those others can't say that. For the heavier frame reels Maks and the Penn VISX line up are the industry standards
I agree with Dan. If I were to recommend one reel to take to Guadalupe it would be the Torque 40 NLD2. You could fish 50-80# bait with it, and also use it for yo yoing

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Yes the penn one 12-4 to 12-11 and I plan on renting or borrowing to see what I like also..

Ha-Ha, if you are going on the PENN trip, you definitely need to check out more PENN reels!
Going by what this trip experienced the last two years at Guadalupe Island, the very heavy gear is not that necessary [though you may want it for future 10-14 day trips anyway].
Much more important will be high-quality "mid-weight" gear, that will allow you to get bites from finicky tuna, but still have a good chance to land them.
Luckily, sharks have been a minimal problem compared to trips in November and October.
Here's what was key on the 2019 and 2018 versions of this trip.

1. 30-pound rig [I'm not kidding**]:
PENN Torque or Fathom 15LD2 or 15XNLD2 [MUST be a 2-speed]
Fill with 350 yards 40-pound braid, and 25 yard topshot of 30 pound mono.
**Obviously this won't be used on 100-pounders, but when the 50-90 pounders are super-finicky, this will get the job done amazingly well when sharks are not present.
2. 40-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 25NLD2 or 30LD2 [MUST be a 2-speed]
Fill with 65 pound braid, 40 pound topshot [length of your choice]
3. 50-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 30LD2 [2-speed]
Fill with 65/80 pound braid, 50 pound topshot [length of your choice]

All of the above on 8-foot rods, live bait casting is key.

4. 60-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 40NLD2 [2-speed]
Fill with 80-pound braid, topshot as conditions dictate, can do 50 or 80-pound topshots if necessary.
This rig can do double duty with yo-yo jigs for yellowtail [or wahoo bombs on longer trips]. Accordingly, I always have two of these, one rigged for bait, and one with a jig.
5. 80-pound rig:
PENN International 16VISX [2-speed]
Fill with 100-pound braid, 80-pound topshot [length of your choice]. Only occasionally have the Guadalupe tuna been biting live bait on 80-pound the last couple of years, but this is an excellent rig for chunks.
6. 100-pound rig [optional]:
PENN International 20VISX or 30VISX [2-speed]
Fill with 130-pound braid, 100-pound topshot [length of your choice].
The fabled night bite on huge yellowtail has been very slow the past two years, but this big gun is perfect for dropper-looping and possibly as a backup chunking rig.
This would be your cow rig for those longer 10-14 day trips.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Yes the penn one 12-4 to 12-11 and I plan on renting or borrowing to see what I like also..

This nice one was caught on the December 2019 trip, on a day when the fish were around, but extremely finicky. A tiny PENN Torque TRQ15LD2 with a 30-pound topshot. The fight took an hour, but no virtually no sharks were around that trip.

1590106835016.png

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
Ha-Ha, if you are going on the PENN trip, you definitely need to check out more PENN reels!
Going by what this trip experienced the last two years at Guadalupe Island, the very heavy gear is not that necessary [though you may want it for future 10-14 day trips anyway].
Much more important will be high-quality "mid-weight" gear, that will allow you to get bites from finicky tuna, but still have a good chance to land them.
Luckily, sharks have been a minimal problem compared to trips in November and October.
Here's what was key on the 2019 and 2018 versions of this trip.

1. 30-pound rig [I'm not kidding**]:
PENN Torque or Fathom 15LD2 or 15XNLD2 [MUST be a 2-speed]
Fill with 350 yards 40-pound braid, and 25 yard topshot of 30 pound mono.
**Obviously this won't be used on 100-pounders, but when the 50-90 pounders are super-finicky, this will get the job done amazingly well when sharks are not present.
2. 40-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 25NLD2 or 30LD2 [MUST be a 2-speed]
Fill with 65 pound braid, 40 pound topshot [length of your choice]
3. 50-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 30LD2 [2-speed]
Fill with 65/80 pound braid, 50 pound topshot [length of your choice]

All of the above on 8-foot rods, live bait casting is key.

4. 60-pound rig:
PENN Torque or Fathom 40NLD2 [2-speed]
Fill with 80-pound braid, topshot as conditions dictate, can do 50 or 80-pound topshots if necessary.
This rig can do double duty with yo-yo jigs for yellowtail [or wahoo bombs on longer trips]. Accordingly, I always have two of these, one rigged for bait, and one with a jig.
5. 80-pound rig:
PENN International 16VISX [2-speed]
Fill with 100-pound braid, 80-pound topshot [length of your choice]. Only occasionally have the Guadalupe tuna been biting live bait on 80-pound the last couple of years, but this is an excellent rig for chunks.
6. 100-pound rig [optional]:
PENN International 20VISX or 30VISX [2-speed]
Fill with 130-pound braid, 100-pound topshot [length of your choice].
The fabled night bite on huge yellowtail has been very slow the past two years, but this big gun is perfect for dropper-looping and possibly as a backup chunking rig.
This would be your cow rig for those longer 10-14 day trips.
You are right on the selection of reels . I love the Cheap Penn Fathon

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
I do not “want“ or intend to offend you with this question, but are you experienced in casting conventional reels? because if your not , your going to be in a world of hurting thinking you can cast a Sardine out 20/30 feet and you can’t . Please answer true fully.
Theres a bunch of folks out there that will take the time and help you. If you want. I’ve been fishing over 50 years and I’m still learning.

D6FF7B5D-A96B-4A2B-A3CA-63BA72901056.jpeg

C52295B0-37C3-4E0D-88E9-A67E2F41AF64.jpeg

675D607A-42CD-4661-9160-45111D363095.jpeg

0422690C-7E2A-4AB5-A4C8-FE36EBE289FA.jpeg

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
I do not “want“ or intend to offend you with this question, but are you experienced in casting conventional reels? because if your not , your going to be in a world of hurting thinking you can cast a Sardine out 20/30 feet and you can’t . Please answer true fully.
Theres a bunch of folks out there that will take the time and help you. If you want. I’ve been fishing over 50 years and I’m still learning.

View attachment 1147613

View attachment 1147614

View attachment 1147615

View attachment 1147616
Yes I know how to cast but not a pro at conventional reels... but I do do it decently I do cast my bass bait caster alot . Also cast my penn squall 60 on the beach for sharks... but I will take all the help I can get...ps I can always improve nowhere near perfect nor am I saying that I cast perfectly

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
The key to casting a convention reel with braid, short topshot of FC and a sardine is very simply........practice, practice and more practice. Just simulate the situation for 30 minutes a day. Do it any where just have a spray bottle of water and then spray the practice line before you start and then after each cast. Use a small dowel that weights the same as a sardine. For those that have spent our lives flylining baits it is second nature, for others the ONLY way to become competent is to practice starting months before your trip. You will be amazed how much improvement you see after a few session. Sorry, there are not short cuts!

Last edited:

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Yes I know how to cast but not a pro at conventional reels... but I do do it decently I do cast my bass bait caster alot . Also cast my penn squall 60 on the beach for sharks... but I will take all the help I can get...ps I can always improve nowhere near perfect nor am I saying that I cast perfectly

Ditto all of the recommendations to practice casting a lot. As also mentioned, having a little spray bottle of water helps a lot with casting practice.
Getting back to the medium frame vs. heavy frame conundrum, medium frame reels do indeed cast better than heavy frame models.

Photo shows the contrast on models with the same line capacity.
Top right= Torque TRQ40NLD2
Bottom right= International 12VISX

Top left= Torque TRQ60LD2
Bottom left= International 16VISX

Once you get to "that" line capacity, and 80-pound topshots [or heavier] becomes the primary tool, a heavy frame 16VISX has more advantages.

1590123316651.png

Last edited:

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening Ted,

A hearty welcome to West Coast Long Range fishing... Congratulations, you made a life changing decision though some may call it a disease or addiction... It is.. You have received lots of great info here so far but there is way more to consider than just line ratings of rods and reels sizes when making your choices.

It sounds like you have a head start on those who may not have much in the way of fishing experience... In truth, fishing is fishing.. If you have a nose and sense for it you will have an easier time understanding the basics.. However, West Coast Long Range is different than most anywhere else in the world.. Not better, Not worse, just different..

Since you have until December I would consider purchasing one great rig in the 40 - 50 pound range to practice with sooner than later.. I would also purchase a 50 pound spring scale to practice knots, fish fighting techniques and getting used to the drag pressures used on our long range boats...

Without putting you in the category, many folks, who have not fished from a Long Range Platform, tend to under utilize their drag settings in conjunction with their line test and rod capabilities. So many come onto the boats believing their drags, knots and techniques used on smaller boats, from other coasts, are going to translate into West Coast Long Range from a 100 ton boat.. I will not say it never translates into useable techniques but it rarely happens..

If you really want to commit to this thing, which it sounds like you do, the basics start with understanding and knowing how good your connections and clean line is.. When I work with folks, which I do every day either by phone or at the shop, I start with connection testing.. If your connections are not pristine, including how the knots affect the sliding portions of the lines as the angler slides and cinches down the connection.. Be it Plastic line to plastic line such as mono to flouro or Spectra to plastic line, every action the angler takes to make that connection will affect the knot and line strength.. If the connections are not great then the gear purchased will be greatly under utilized.. If the angler does not have full confidence in their connection you will use less than optimum drag, not get the most out of your new gear and worry too much about knot breakage.

Since you probably are not in an area that has West Coast Style rods, You are going to want to work with a West Coast Long Range Knowledgeable shop when purchasing gear.. You will want someone that will give you the time you need to give some insight into what you are getting into, give you some heads up for things to be aware of, help you with techniques others may not be aware of and generally help you prepare in advance of the trip to shorten the learning curve... Nothing compares to the experience you will get on your first or 100th long range trip, as every trip is somewhat different, but I assure you that you can feel more comfortable knowing, in advance some things to look out for, some things to be aware of and most importantly have practices the techniques the shop salesperson gives you at home..

I work with New Comers and Experienced folks regarding long and short range fishing every day either at the shop or mostly by phone as the majority of folks are located all over the world and do not have a local shop to get information from.. It is always my pleasure to spend as much time as the angler wishes, by phone or at the shop when we are not too busy.. It is my pleasure to help every and any angler in any way I can..

If you are interested, You are welcome to PM me on this site and I will PM you back with my cell number.. I will be happy to go over with you my suggestions on getting started and informed on things You probably have not considered before purchasing anything..Part of my job is to limit the purchases of Newbies to our version of this amazing sport who try to figure out what is what from just the internet.. All too often the Newcomer to West Coast Long or short range fishing, without benefit of a long range specific and knowledgeable source find some or all of their initial purchases relegated to the garage after the first or second trip that may not really be appropriate for the types of trips you are considering...

Very best of luck with your decisions.. Have a great season and a wonderful year. Again, Welcome to West Coast Long Range... And best of luck with your new Addiction..

Jamie

Last edited:

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Ditto all of the recommendations to practice casting a lot. As also mentioned, having a little spray bottle of water helps a lot with casting practice.
Getting back to the medium frame vs. heavy frame conundrum, medium frame reels do indeed cast better than heavy frame models.

Photo shows the contrast on models with the same line capacity.
Top right= Torque TRQ40NLD2
Bottom right= International 12VISX

Top left= Torque TRQ60LD2
Bottom left= International 16VISX
Are The 60 torque and international 12 the same size (spool wise)

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Are The 60 torque and international 12 the same size (spool wise)

The TRQ60LD2 holds about the same amount of line as the 16VISX.
The TRQ40NLD2 is very close to the 12VISX [the 12 holding just a bit more line].

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
To the original poster:

I’d like to make a suggestion. As the trip that you’re going on is a Penn sponsored trip, may I suggest that you use the Penn loaner tackle on the trip. Steve provides great quality tackle that is well maintained. Using loaner tackle will allow you to make better/more informed choices when you purchase tackle AFTER your first trip.

As far as what tackle to eventually purchase, there are many good manufacturers (Penn, Okuma, Shimano, Avet, etc) from which to choose. At one time, I had a full compliment of Shimano Talicas; I eventually sold all of them. The Talicas are very good reels with smooth drags and great free spool. The one area where they're lacking is torque in low gear; from the factory the low gear is simply not low enough. There are after market options to address this issue, but it shouldn’t be needed at that price point.

I then looked at Penn Torques and Fathoms. The Fathoms are great reels at their price point; but I purchased the Torques. The Torques have smooth drags and cast well like the Talicas. But the low gear in the Torques gives the reels MUCH better grinding power in low gear.

Though they are at a higher price point than the Penn Fathoms and some other small two speeded reels, in my opinion the Penn Torques are the finest small two speed reels on the market.

I hope this helps and good luck on your trip!

Last edited: