ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
2660WAC Sailfish
Im going to be in Australia at the end of August and beginning of September. Flying into and staying in Sydney. Anyone have any recommendations on some private charters that are knowledgeable at catching giant trevally. Thanks

Upvote 0

Kaptain Karl

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat Name
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
Im going to be in Australia at the end of August and beginning of September. Flying into and staying in Sydney. Anyone have any recommendations on some private charters that are knowledgeable at catching giant trevally. Thanks

There's none around Sydney, you need to fish the Great Barrier Reef for GT's.

You should take the 2 hour flight to Cairns if GT is on the menu!

Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
2660WAC Sailfish
There's none around Sydney, you need to fish the Great Barrier Reef for GT's.

You should take the 2 hour flight to Cairns if GT is on the menu!
After consideration I will most likely do a flight to Cairns. Know of any charters there that are good? Maybe a fishing/snorkeling combo trip?

Upvote 0

Kaptain Karl

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat Name
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
After consideration I will most likely do a flight to Cairns. Know of any charters there that are good? Maybe a fishing/snorkeling combo trip?
thats awesome!

I havent been down there...but that area is chalk full of bad ass guides and operations. 360tuna could be a good place to ask.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat Name
Golden Domer 21' Angler
Damn that's disappointing, thanks for the feedback though. You know of any good charters in Sydney?
I recently went out on a trip with Dan Selby of Sydney Sportfishing Adventures. Nothing huge, but catching yellows with different methods and lighter gear was a blast. Dan is an expert on Mulloway (similar looking and size to White Sea Bass, but fished more like speckled trout or redfish) but on my trip we targeted kingfish (yellowtail). No affiliation with him, but had a ball. Hard to complain about yellows on the popper!!!

I am heading up to Cairns in a few weeks to target GT and will update after the trip!
IMG_0393.jpeg

Reactions: aussiefisho
Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
2660WAC Sailfish
I recently went out on a trip with Dan Selby of Sydney Sportfishing Adventures. Nothing huge, but catching yellows with different methods and lighter gear was a blast. Dan is an expert on Mulloway (similar looking and size to White Sea Bass, but fished more like speckled trout or redfish) but on my trip we targeted kingfish (yellowtail). No affiliation with him, but had a ball. Hard to complain about yellows on the popper!!!

I am heading up to Cairns in a few weeks to target GT and will update after the trip! View attachment 1011637

Thanks Will! Nice king! I'll be sure to check out Sydneys Sportfishing Adventures. That's awesome, looking forward to hearing about your Cairns trip, good luck!

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat Name
Ranger Z20
Definitely look into Cairns instead of Sydney. We just got back from a three week trip traveling through Australia, and had an incredible trip. Cairns was by far my favorite place, and while I wasn’t able to fish on this trip we did take an excursion to the GBR and I saw a ton of trevaly just cruising around the snorkeling grounds.

Just remember that the seasons are opposite of ours, so your timeframe would place your trip during their Spring. I’d suggest checking their historical catch charts, for species availability, if you haven’t done so already, as it could be similar to someone trying to fly into our part of the world expecting to catch tuna and dorado in March or April.

Good luck with the trip - that is a most amazing part of this awesome planet!!!

Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
2660WAC Sailfish
Definitely look into Cairns instead of Sydney. We just got back from a three week trip traveling through Australia, and had an incredible trip. Cairns was by far my favorite place, and while I wasn’t able to fish on this trip we did take an excursion to the GBR and I saw a ton of trevaly just cruising around the snorkeling grounds.

Just remember that the seasons are opposite of ours, so your timeframe would place your trip during their Spring. I’d suggest checking their historical catch charts, for species availability, if you haven’t done so already, as it could be similar to someone trying to fly into our part of the world expecting to catch tuna and dorado in March or April.

Good luck with the trip - that is a most amazing part of this awesome planet!!!

Thanks for the info! Makes sense, hopefully the GT are around then since they are primarily an inshore fish but will definitely check. Thanks

Upvote 0