PENN

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    I don't know if this should be a fish report but there was water and fish involved.

This maybe a follow up/partial explanation on Hotrail20's post on what is an epic halibut run.
    WFO HALIBUT THURSDAY 6/10-/21 LOCAL

Kept my son up and we went to our first grunion run. Calendar said 10:05PM. Weather was good, no wind, mild chill, fair amount of people, fairer amount of people that were enraging me because they kept flashing their lights in my face or in the water. If you're going to ask me if we have any fish, don't shine your headlamp in my face!

It was cool till the crowd came, there was a line of people looking at the waves and egret type birds doing the same.

Grunion came out approximately 11:00PM. Caught three, had a good discussion with my son and we let them go after keeping them in a bucket for about 15 seconds. There were only a sparse amount of grunion we saw this run. Not the carpets of fish I saw on the dfg grunion handout. Still very cool and very fun. Next time, I'm bringing a beach chair.

Note to self, go halibut fishing in shallow water during a grunion run based on Hotrail20's post.

I tried to post a small video. Hopefully you guys can see something.

Attachments

• Grunion06112021.mp4
      833.6 KB · Views: 0

robaire

Angler
    Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    n/a
    Very cool you took your son out for a tradition of me and mine!

FYI,
    Arrive an hour after posted run times and an hour before it ends.
    The second and third days tend to be the most productive.
    If fishing for flatties start early and leave before crowds arrive.

As far as the lights go, it's part of the sport....yes it is a sport.

Thanks,
    Robert

Reactions: JK155 and Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Watch out. The water might melt him. Ha.

I remember back in the day going grunion running and there wasn’t a sole in site.

Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    Great HANDS ON report. Bet your son had fun the whole time?
    He was super jazzed since I didn't know wth I was doing so we got there too early. robaire has very very wise words which I will be doing next time. 10:05 came, nothing so lost interest. I kept "seeing" a bunch of fish jumping in the water to keep him interested for an hour more. Those three fish he caught I wanted to kiss cause I was so thankful.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    He was super jazzed since I didn't know wth I was doing so we got there too early. robaire has very very wise words which I will be doing next time. 10:05 came, nothing so lost interest. I kept "seeing" a bunch of fish jumping in the water to keep him interested for an hour more. Those three fish he caught I wanted to kiss cause I was so thankful.
    We have miles of beach in Newport and Huntington Beach when the grunion run....more room for grabbers to spread out LOL

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2018
    Capo Beach
    Name
    ⚓
    Boat
    Row boat
    Did you go to DoHo? I've had good luck at capo beach with nobody to be a bother and plenty of fish. I have gone to DoHo and it's hit n miss. The crowds tend to freak out the fish with their lights. Poche can be good as well. Good man taking the lad out for a cool experience he will never forget.

Reactions: JK155
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I don't know if this should be a fish report but there was water and fish involved.

This maybe a follow up/partial explanation on Hotrail20's post on what is an epic halibut run.
    WFO HALIBUT THURSDAY 6/10-/21 LOCAL

Kept my son up and we went to our first grunion run. Calendar said 10:05PM. Weather was good, no wind, mild chill, fair amount of people, fairer amount of people that were enraging me because they kept flashing their lights in my face or in the water. If you're going to ask me if we have any fish, don't shine your headlamp in my face!

It was cool till the crowd came, there was a line of people looking at the waves and egret type birds doing the same.

Grunion came out approximately 11:00PM. Caught three, had a good discussion with my son and we let them go after keeping them in a bucket for about 15 seconds. There were only a sparse amount of grunion we saw this run. Not the carpets of fish I saw on the dfg grunion handout. Still very cool and very fun. Next time, I'm bringing a beach chair.

Note to self, go halibut fishing in shallow water during a grunion run based on Hotrail20's post.

I tried to post a small video. Hopefully you guys can see something.
    Cool seeing your son having fun, outdoors!

Upvote 0

dougbenc

• Jun 15, 2020
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    N/A
    Growing up along the central coast, I remember filling buckets with them very easily. It was like a carpet of fish swimming up on the beach! Took my boys out to Santa Monica when they were 3 and 6, to see the run. It was fairly muted, but nicely timed as we did see hundreds at times wash up!

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Growing up along the central coast, I remember filling buckets with them very easily. It was like a carpet of fish swimming up on the beach!
    My dad's moto was, if you can get buckets full of food, he was in on it, and always brought us kid's along to get our buckets full too!, He had a freind that had a vacation place on Huntigton Beach, buckets full!

• Haha
    Reactions: JK155 and dougbenc
    Upvote 0