Grunion Run 3/1/18

350zr

Jan 31, 2018
San Diego
Name
350zr
Boat
NONE
Anyone know if grunion makes good lobster bait for hooping. I want to go to MB tonight to catch them and use aas bait.

docupat

Just one of the crew!
Sep 4, 2010
OC, CA USA
Name
PL
Boat
A Classic
Anyone know if grunion makes good lobster bait for hooping. I want to go to MB tonight to catch them and use aas bait.
My experience is that grunion make great bass, halibut and seabass bait but they make poor lobster bait.

Try it out, who knows, you may have a different experience. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Not saying it won't work but there are much better options.A mackerel or Bonito that's been frozen for 10 years would be better.

Reactions: slydawg

350zr

Jan 31, 2018
San Diego
Name
350zr
Boat
NONE
Practically free bait since I don't eat Grunion, my friend will also bring his nephew so it should be fun either way

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
My experience is that grunion make great bass, halibut and seabass bait but they make poor lobster bait.

Try it out, who knows, you may have a different experience. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
not good on bass either..Mackerel that hard to get?

DPevin

Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
not good on bass either..Mackerel that hard to get?
I think people are thinking he has a boat. If it turns out they don't have a boat and will be hooping from shore/jettys or whatever...then mackerel might be tougher to get. Although some catfood and a kastmaster should do the trick just about anywhere in any harbor.

Or im wrong and they have a boat...in that case just get some mackerel.

KCiuchta

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kenny
Boat
I Wish
How'd you do last night? Were the grunion out yet? I want to go tonight-the weekend but not sure how the rain might affect it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

slayinem805

Captain
Sep 4, 2010
Ventura,Ca,US
Name
Chase Johnson
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman
I went in ventura and didn't find any. Does anyone know a good beach in ventura for them? Think its to early in season.

KCiuchta

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kenny
Boat
I Wish
Apparently they were running in San Diego Sunday night. Probably not many people out, must've been fun. I'll have to wait until St. Patty's.

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
You can buy frozen mackeral for pretty cheap and I think it would do waaaay better than grunion. Hell, even catfood in your hoops will work......did that once when we forgot our bait cages and caught some.