COSDoug

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Never caught one. I'm going on an 8 day in about a month. I'm guessing we'll go to the Ridge where I've recently seen pictures of Grouper. Anybody have a specific way to target them? One more question... I've read the big ones are not as tasty as 'smaller' ones, what's the cut off point where you might think about releasing the fish?
Thanks in advance.
Doug

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Have your biggest outfit ready with a big j hook, like 10/0 7691, or larger. Catch a skipjack or small tuna, and flyline it on your large outfit. A small yellow will work as bait in a pinch, and a scad is a pretty good bait.
The key is flyline. Dropper loop, you have zero chance of landing those denizens of the deep.
Personally I'd release anything over 60 lbs. I had 130 pounder, and it was grainy and tough.
They will release fine, we release blacks often at the local islands, push them down with a deck brush, eventually they swim down.

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
Fish off the bottom at least 10 feet. Make the grouper come up to take the bait so it isn't able to get back to a hole. Full drag and wind like you would for wahoo. Keep its head going towards you.

Under 50lbs or so should be good quality meat.

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Have your biggest outfit ready with a big j hook, like 10/0 7691, or larger. Catch a skipjack or small tuna, and flyline it on your large outfit. A small yellow will work as bait in a pinch, and a scad is a pretty good bait.
The key is flyline. Dropper loop, you have zero chance of landing those denizens of the deep.
Personally I'd release anything over 60 lbs. I had 130 pounder, and it was grainy and tough.
They will release fine, we release blacks often at the local islands, push them down with a deck brush, eventually they swim down.
I was on the excel many moons ago, somewhere down by the ridge on a spot of yft and as you said some leopard grouper were feeding on skippies. Three of us caught them on macs a 80,90 a 100lber. Mine was the 90 and it was tasty.

matrixx611

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
I thought they are bottom dwellers. So why flyline?

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
I thought they are bottom dwellers. So why flyline?
I would assume you want a good amount of weight to get it down there. The thought of using a yellowtail or tuna as bait is just insane.

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
I would assume you want a good amount of weight to get it down there. The thought of using a yellowtail or tuna as bait is just insane.
On the ridge at night the boat will often have lots of small (<10lb) yft hanging around. I've had ~5lb yft skinned by grouper simply because I couldn't get the hook in the buggers mouth. Good fight while it lasted and I was coming back from cowtown so I know it was a big fish.

Take scissors or pliers to the tail to slow him down.

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore
This comes as a surprise. So David those brown rockfish grouper looking type fish down at Clarion are just that "rockfish" and not officially grouper. Guys on the boat were calling them groupers and high 5s were going around?. Maybe they are just a brown type of rockfish because they didn't resemble groupers yet I swore that's what guys were calling them?

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
My only Grouper was about 58 lbs, a Broomtail. Dropper Loop, 80 Ln mono, Sardine. After the first few seconds when it tried to get back to the bottom, not much of a fight. In fact, halfway up it just floated to the top. Good eats!

Reactions: Olddog8

dgeller5

Dec 14, 2011
San Jose/CA
Name
David geller
Boat
Independence
Just off of Shermans six day on the Indy. We had around twenty grouper. Most came on sardines with a small (1 oz or so) weight to get below the birds. I got a 42 and a 19. Biggest was 44. Mine were on 40 lb

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
At Clarion out in deeper water there are Tan Grouper. Shallow water you catch leatherback grouper.

Reactions: Tim Turis

Loudmusic

Nov 15, 2011
Phoenix, Az USA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Fish From Shore
I was on the excel many moons ago, somewhere down by the ridge on a spot of yft and as you said some leopard grouper were feeding on skippies. Three of us caught them on macs a 80,90 a 100lber. Mine was the 90 and it was tasty.
Would have to be either Broomtail or Gulf Groupers. I big leopard is in the 40# range with average loser to 10#.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
This comes as a surprise. So David those brown rockfish grouper looking type fish down at Clarion are just that "rockfish" and not officially grouper. Guys on the boat were calling them groupers and high 5s were going around?. Maybe they are just a brown type of rockfish because they didn't resemble groupers yet I swore that's what guys were calling them?
This brings up another seldom acted upon fishing law:
If the angler can not specifically ID the fish that he/she caught with its scientifically designated name, it has to be released.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
This brings up another seldom acted upon fishing law:
If the angler can not specifically ID the fish that he/she caught with its scientifically designated name, it has to be released.
Really Wils? i would like to see that fishing law...

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)

Latest posts