super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Throwing this out there due to a recent thread on these.

THIS SPECIAL OFFER HAS NOW EXPIRED! TO THOSE WHO CLIMBED ABOARD, THANKS AND SAFE BOATING!

**********ATTENTION**********
This Group buy has now begun! We have been given the green light and FELL Marine has given us a solid discount deal on the MOB+ Basepack and accessories. This is a ONE TIME deal and will end on July 1st. You can get more info on this deal by going to PAGE 4 and reply #62 of this thread for further instructions on how to be included in this deal.

Everyone interested MUST get their info to me on or before July 1st, with 10am on July 1st being the cutoff. This info is needed so that a special PROMO CODE can be given to each person interested. Once the Promo Codes are given to each person, they will then have up until July 15th to make your order.

Info can be found on page 4 reply #62.

Back to the original thread.....

We attempted this on BD years ago and had lots of interest, but things didn't work out with the manufacturer ( A Different Manufacturer) as they were still refining and correcting some issues with their product. Fast forward to right now, and there is a New company called FELL MARINE making this cool product and what has been said to be very very good from all I have read!!

That said, I got to thinking and would like to see how much interest we could possibly generate here among us BD members, as well as friends of BD members.

This new wireless kill switch by Fell Marine looks like the real deal now, and I believe (from what I've been reading) that this is a solid and well built unit from a reputable company. I'm thinking if we can get enough of us together to make a large group purchase, I will then try to see if we can get a group discount for making a large mass order.

This isn't just for those who fish solo, (which is something I do like to do often when I'm somehow able to get out), but it is also a great safety device to have for kids, other passengers or even a pet dog that is on board.

Just in the last few months, some guy up the coast left midday on his Boston Whaler for a short trip. He had told his wife, headed out and never made it home, although his boat came running ashore still running without him in it. This has happened a few times in somewhat recent past years, as well as a couple who's dog went missing while they were on a large sailboat.

Anyways, the season is upon us, so check the link (below) about the unit, and see if it's something you like and might be interested in, and then let me know by saying you're in and we will keep a tally until we hopefully get a good amount of people interested, and then we will go from there. If it fizzles out, then so be it, but it's worth a shot........ so who's in?? :)

I will keep an ongoing list (below) of those who are interested.

*** Current list of those interested (updated 6/20/18) ***

*NOTE* I stopped updating the below list once Fell Marine gave us the special offer, as I now need anyone interested to PM (private message) me with their email which I will then pass on the group list to FELL Marine on July 1st. FELL Marine will then send out emails to all who gave me info, and in that email will be each persons special Promo Code, which must be used by July 15th.

1. ?? fisherman - Mike
2. Fishpye - John
3. MYNomad - Rick (maybe)
4. Tuna Sniffer - Mark
5. Chxh8me - Mike
6. Arima Bob - Bob
7. Paddylure - RG
8. Rod Rage - ?
9. Poncovilla - Ron
10. Sushi King - Bob
11. JGY - James
12. Cali_ Reef - Pierce
13. Done_Deal - Joe
14. Kareem Korn - Tim
15. NukeDawg - Adam
16. MoBetta - Frank
17. JohnGarrison - John
18. RT Morandi - Rob
19. Lynndeva - Debi
20. @EZ - Max
21. Workplacesafety - Jeff
22. Sueno - Doug
23. dweston - Duane
24. Whammy - Chris
25. Black is Back - Dan
26. Lougio - Lou
27. Ajon - Andy
28. Seahawk IV - Al
29. Tomvu - Tom

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Fell-M...lkid=DFdMXwZhaF0d&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqeniramsegdoh

FEL72-380-206-2T.jpg

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just to clarify, by saying you are "In" right now, doesn't mean you have to commit until we get to a closer date assuming we get enough interest. This just gives both myself and you guys an idea of how many may be interested should we be able to lock in a better purchase price with a group purchase.

Unless I am wrong, as it stands right now, these units sell for $199 for the unit you see pictured in the post above.

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I’d be interested. I have an account with Fisheries Supply in Seattle. My cost on these is $150. Could probably do better with a group buy. They now charge sales tax on Calif purchases, which blows.

I bought like 50 Mustang inflatable PFDs for people after a drowning.

Let me know if I can help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fishpye

Feb 22, 2004
Chula Vista Resident
Visit site
Name
John E. Pye
Boat
" The Menu" 24' CustomSkipjack Volvo Diesel
Mike, been giving thoughts myself since it was shown here on BD.
I’m in. With Baby #2 here it’s a perfect time to do it. Have some downtime.

Reactions: ?? fisherman
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
im the guy that tried to organize the "other" group buy, boy am i glad it didnt work out! the FELL MARINE product is a great unit. i'm completely happy with it. easy install, fit and finish is great, by all accounts a great product. i recommend it to everyone.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I’d be interested. I have an account with Fisheries Supply in Seattle. My cost on these is $150. Could probably do better with a group buy. They now charge sales tax on Calif purchases, which blows.

I bought like 50 Mustang inflatable PFDs for people after a drowning.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Kurt, that's good info for us to have! If we can gather enough interest I might be contacting you! Thanks for the info/heads up. ;)

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Mike, been giving thoughts myself since it was shown here on BD.
I’m in. With Baby #2 here it’s a perfect time to do it. Have some downtime.

#2 John!!? Wow, congrats to you & the family.... that's cool!!

Let's see how this group buy thing pans out over a little time!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
im the guy that tried to organize the "other" group buy, boy am i glad it didnt work out! the FELL MARINE product is a great unit. i'm completely happy with it. easy install, fit and finish is great, by all accounts a great product. i recommend it to everyone.

Thanks Scott, that's good to know. I don't personally have any hands on experience with this product, but I have heard good things about it, and it does look like very high quality.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
This may be an upgrade for me. I have the RayMarine Lifeline system (or whatever they call it). The idea is everyone has a thing on his wrist (at least at night), and if they go out of range (by falling aboard, for example), a nasty alarm is triggered. The boat doesn't stop and no GPS position is recorded, but the alarm is unmistakable and there should always be one or two at the helm (that is the deal on my boat). The problem is that the range of the unit doesn't cover my entire boat. If you go up to the tower, boom. If you go to a forward stateroom, boom. If you go do an ER check, maybe boom. So, people start taking them off.

Long story short, do you know what the range is, and can it be configured to trigger an alarm instead of a kill switch? Similarly, can you buy FOBs separately from the main receiver unit? If yes to both, I might be interested (in which case, I have a RayMarine setup, with 16 fobs, for sale at a really great price).

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
This may be an upgrade for me. I have the RayMarine Lifeline system (or whatever they call it). The idea is everyone has a thing on his wrist (at least at night), and if they go out of range (by falling aboard, for example), a nasty alarm is triggered. The boat doesn't stop and no GPS position is recorded, but the alarm is unmistakable and there should always be one or two at the helm (that is the deal on my boat). The problem is that the range of the unit doesn't cover my entire boat. If you go up to the tower, boom. If you go to a forward stateroom, boom. If you go do an ER check, maybe boom. So, people start taking them off.

Long story short, do you know what the range is, and can it be configured to trigger an alarm instead of a kill switch? Similarly, can you buy FOBs separately from the main receiver unit? If yes to both, I might be interested (in which case, I have a RayMarine setup, with 16 fobs, for sale at a really great price).

havent had it on the water yet, but i can go around the corner of my metal building and it doesnt go off or kill the engine til im about 50' away, even with a metal building in between.
i think it can be used to sound a alarm because it has the wiring option of a normally open, or normally closed. in other words if your kill switch is letting current pass while running, or if your kill switch is open, and doesnt let current through while running. so if you wired it using the n/o wires, when FOB sent signal, switch would close, allowing current to pass, and just wire it to a siren. actually to a relay, to activate siren. im not sure how many amps that the fell marine unit can handle. relay is the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: MYNomad
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC

Hey Rick, I just did a little more research on this, and what I've found so far is that the unit is good for 50'. It also stated that the unit will only shut the engine off with one FOB (which is to be used by the captain running the vessel at the time), and an additional 3 FOBs can be used, and that the remaining 3 will only sound an alarm when someone wearing it either falls overboard or gets out of range.

I would almost bet money that in the near future they will expand the total of 4 FOBs to be much more, but who knows?

Here is a promo video..... one of many floating around.

Upvote 0

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
FYI, right now there's one listed on eBay as new for $100 with free shipping and another with $13 shipping.

Upvote 0

cali_reef

Oct 16, 2015
Palos Verdes
Name
Pierce
Boat
Marlin 300
I am interested in the MOB+ base pack and three more fobs with bracelets.

Here is a simple description of the system from their website:

General information about the system

As you step aboard your boat, press the xFOB to connect to the xHUB. A green light and an audio signal will confirm the connection and the engine can be started. Should a fall over board occur the engine will be shut down, caused by the xFOB being under water or more than 50 feet from the xHUB. 6 seconds after shut down passengers can restart the engine to save the person in the water. When leaving the boat press the xFOB once to disconnect.

Up to 20 xFOBs can be stored per xHUB (if more than 20 are paired the first ones which were paired will be deleted).

Up to four xFOB’s can be connected to the xHUB at the same time, with one unit acting as the captain’s stop unit, and the additional three as alarm units for passengers.

Upvote 0