I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
another note:
I tried to pull up the Autotether Website and it's GONE........

yep! wow, not sure whats up. i'll look into other options.......I THOUGHT AUTOTETHER WAS THE ONLY ONE. why are these companies not more well known? i'll keep you posted.

http://www.powerboatsafety.com/partners.php

^^^looks real nice!!! and options for diesel, and multiple engines also!!!

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
hello everyone, so heres the deal.... i contacted another company and got a response, i'll cut and paste it here.
i know some of you are worried about the delays and some other stuff with the autotether, these guys have also made a generous offer to usand have diesel options, plus much more. and ready to ship. i have no interest in either of these companies just trying to finish what i've started. so use your own judgement on which to buy, after all its your asses these things will save, so get what you are most confident in. heres the email received today.

Scott, Good morning!

Please accept my apology for the delayed response, as we've been moving the business into a larger facility over the last several days. This has reminded me why I hate moving so much! Anyway, thanks for the inquiry and interest in our Virtual Lifeline product line. I won't bore you with a big sales pitch about our product over any other, but will provide just a few facts. As you may have reviewed on our web site, our product received the NMMA,s Innovation of the year award back in 2005 and Canada's Safety Product in 2006. Fact is, we pioneered the "wireless lanyard" market. Today, our primary customer has been Governmental and commercial agencies. The Virtual Lifeline has become standard equipment for entire fleets of law enforcement and other commercial agencies nationwide. These agencies understand the effectiveness and benefit our product brings toward employee health and safety.

The opportunity to offer your group a special price would be standard protocol for us. All we would require as confirmation that they're a member. We would talk about how that that would work. No minimum order would be required. Just make a call or email me with the order and we'll ship in a timely manner. As we do with all of our customers!

Our product line is diverse, as most boats and boaters are. Just direct you members to our website atwww.powerboatsafety.com and allow them to choose the model that best suits their needs. If they need clarification, all they have to do is call us. We will be glad to extend a 10% discount to your members. This is the same discount we extend to the customers mentioned above. Please be advised: The site will be updated soon to reflect more of an occupational health and safety image.

I think it might be interesting to your group that the Virtual Lifeline is the only wireless lanyard that meets ABYC and the marine industry's Standards for this type of technology ensuring none of the onboard electronics or systems are compromised and Its also FLW approved for those tournament anglers.

If you have any other questions, or if I can help in any other way, please contact me at our earliest convenience.

Thanks again for the opportunity to meet your safety needs and work directly with your members.

Have a great day!

i will continue contact with them for anyone thats interested.

Upvote 0

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
I'm all about safety but the price is 4 or 5 times the cost of the Autotether. Any idea what kind of group deal VL is offering?

BTW, Autotether's website is back up.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
I'm all about safety but the price is 4 or 5 times the cost of the Autotether. Any idea what kind of group deal VL is offering?

BTW, Autotether's website is back up.

in the email he said 10% to members here. yes it is more expensive, but they do offer unlimited FOB's, they're instock ready to ship, have applications for diesel. on the downside, more expensive, looks like it requires installation / wiring. , not easily transferable to another boat.
autotether pros...less expensive, easy instal and easily transferred to different boats,
cons... waiting for availability, uses existing kill switch (may not work with diesels or uncommon kill switches)

i don't have a stake in it either way, just trying to finish what i started. i would love to hear any members feedback on both units....anybody got these???

Upvote 0

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
Hey 'Fishy, I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful. I do appreciate you taking the time to follow up on both units trying to get a deal for us BD'ers!

Thanks bud!

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
Well, whatever the outcome is..........I need something like this. With this skiff I'm fishing on lately I've been wearing a life vest full trip for the 1st time in my life. Would like to wear the tether but I do too much to be pinned to the counsel. So, if this doesn't get kicked into gear I'll find a way to make my own.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Well, whatever the outcome is..........I need something like this. With this skiff I'm fishing on lately I've been wearing a life vest full trip for the 1st time in my life. Would like to wear the tether but I do too much to be pinned to the counsel. So, if this doesn't get kicked into gear I'll find a way to make my own.

the latest company to join in on this seems like they are ready to go. still waiting for autotether to get ready to recieve order

Hey 'Fishy, I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful. I do appreciate you taking the time to follow up on both units trying to get a deal for us BD'ers!

Thanks bud!

^^no sweat, i'm happy to do it.

Upvote 0

Recoil Rob

Nov 7, 2015
NY
Name
Recoil Rob
Boat
Sturdee Amesbury 16
New here, I had an Autotetherfor 2014, never needed to use it but it did work as claimed. Tried using it this spring and it wouldn't initialize, I sent it back and they told me the batteries had leaked and it needs a new board. Been waiting like you all for Ed to get the new boards, hopefully before spring.

Seems like a good unit though I was surprised that on land when testing I could get a 150 feet away before it would pop, would much rather it was more sensitive, maybe 50 feet. Mine's on a 16ft. Amesbury dory and if that motor doesn't kill and I'd have to swim 150 ft after reorienting myself after falling overboard, well might be a bit challenging.

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
Thank's Rob, thats good info to know. Would be cool to have it adjustable depending on the size of your boat.

Upvote 0

Recoil Rob

Nov 7, 2015
NY
Name
Recoil Rob
Boat
Sturdee Amesbury 16
Update! Just got notified by Ed that my unit is on it's way back, he got the boards in.

If you guys decide to get these make sure to remove batteries for the winter!

Well, if you have a winter...

Regards,
Rob

Thank's Rob, thats good info to know. Would be cool to have it adjustable depending on the size of your boat.

Upvote 0

Hurricane

My Best Catch Ever
Aug 26, 2006
Ramona, Ca
Name
Deano
Boat
2001 2600 Striper
Kindafishy,

Is it too late for me to get in on this? There is absolutely no way I could swim 150ft after going over board. I fish with my son who is 12 and can navigate and run my boat just fine on his own however he tends to sleep for a while after getting bait at 4:00am. I wear an auto PFD when fishing because of how weak I am from the chemo.

Please let me know if it is too late. If it's not too late I would be in.

Thanks for posting this.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Update! Just got notified by Ed that my unit is on it's way back, he got the boards in.

If you guys decide to get these make sure to remove batteries for the winter!

Well, if you have a winter...

Regards,
Rob
Is the autotheter website back up ?

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Kindafishy,

Is it too late for me to get in on this? There is absolutely no way I could swim 150ft after going over board. I fish with my son who is 12 and can navigate and run my boat just fine on his own however he tends to sleep for a while after getting bait at 4:00am. I wear an auto PFD when fishing because of how weak I am from the chemo.

Thanks for posting this.

yes you can, hasn't happened yet.

Is the autotheter website back up ?

yes its back and i've recieved some info.....here it is.

from autotether.....

Scott,

We are getting there. I have all but one of the parts needed. Waiting on a delivery date for that part. I expect to hear from our vendor in a day or so.

I will keep you posted

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

Recoil Rob

Nov 7, 2015
NY
Name
Recoil Rob
Boat
Sturdee Amesbury 16
Just an update about the Autotether distance to shutoff. I tested mine in the driveway and I got about 200 ft before it popped. I emailed Ed to see if it the distance could be closer and as it turns out...

"There is no way to adjust the distance that it will go into alarm.
Keep n mind that if the sensor goes into the water it will shut down the motor within 1.5 seconds.
The system goes into alarm 3 ways:
1. Goes into water.
2. Distance
3. Panic button
The most importantly if you fall overboard while wearing the operator sensor it will shut down the motor within 1.5 seconds."

As you see the distance doesn't affect the operator. If the operator falls overboard the kill switch pops within 1.5 Secs. Can't ask for better than that.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
ok, got the email we've been waiting for..... looks like he's ready! heres the email he sent me. i will cinfirm the terms and get this going. anyone thats still interested, let me know now so we can start a list.

Scott,

We have you on a list for call back when we received product to build Autotether units.

Please call at your earliest convenience if you would like to proceed.

Best Regards

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
i will cinfirm the terms and get this going.
Posted 26 minutes ago. Then you posted 10 minutes ago.

Might need to give Kindafishy more than 16 minutes to do what he said he'd do...:finger:

I'm still interested Scott.

Thx

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
So when will he be ready to ship, and whats the group price... ?

just confirmed with ed, he said pricing and terms will not change, everything stands as originally offered... he it is....

Scott,

Pricing as follows:

$195 plus shipping. Min order is 6. If there are more than 15 systems the price will be $185.
Clips available at no additional charge: Yamaha, Honda, OMC 1, OMC 2, and standard Mercury (silver toggle)

Clips available with additional charge of $10.00ea: Suzuki and Mercury side mount (red toggle)

We will drop ship to individual customers.

S&H is $15.00 to the lower 48 states and Hawaii. $25.00 to Alaska and Canada.

Yes the Autotether does work with the Mercruiser style switch shown below.

Ed Betancourt

Manufacturing Operations

ed said we each could call him and place orders individually. he will take order info, what you want, your shipping and payment info, and then wait until we had enough people to meet the "deal" quantity. then charge you and ship. i would like to start a list here so we all can keep track of who ordered and when. i think its best for us to wait til we get a group of 15 together.

reminder qoutes.....

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Ill post this here too, this guy DIED and possibly could have been saved by an autotether

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/698363-dads-boating-accident.html

Dad's boat was found on Lake Mead Monday (10 August) afternoon. He wasn't in it. Boat was found, idling, but throttle position near 80+%. Tells me he was running up on step, power head still working, but lower unit is apparently broken.

I met the National Park Service officer as the boat was towed back to the marina. I backed his trailer into the water and we hand loaded the boat. Pulled it out and went to connect the transom saver between the lower unit and trailer. Motor was laid over. Turned the wheel but the motor didn't move. Trimmed the motor down, turned the wheel. Still no movement. Took me a minute (it was about 0130 Tuesday). Walked to the motor and noticed the steering linkage was disconnected. Missing nuts on both sides. Baystar steering with Mercury 150L.

NPS Officers did their complete inspection of the vessel, photographing lots of stuff. We got to the chartplotter and dad had the auto track on. Found his last track. He ran a pretty continuous line through the middle of the lake, heading SE, then we saw a severe U turn. Boat travelled sw about a mile and made another severe U turn. Boat then travelled nne, to where it was found.

I figure dad was doing 50+ mph (2013 18' bass boat with a merc 150, installed in April 2015), steering arms came loose from motor, motor probably went full port or starboard. Obviously this would throw dad out of the boat. Trolling motor was locked on the bow still. There is no chance dad would have or could have driven the boat from the first U turn to the 2nd U turn. He would have gotten on the trolling motor. All 3 life jackets still in the boat, ignition tether looped around the throttle. We still don't have his body, but no doubt he was killed upon impact with the water.

Bodies sink in 20-24 hours. Average resurface time is 10-11 days. We have a long wait ahead still. Success rate for recovering bodies is "quite low".

SAR has been full-force. NPS, air national guard, AZ safety crews, and Nevada dept of Wildlife put forth boats, trucks, planes, helos, and boots on the ground. Searched the shore from air, boat, and land. Nada. Open water grid searches failed. Not hopeful of those, based on simple chemistry of bodies sinking 20-24 hours. Underwater UAV with 360° sonar ran Sunday and back tomorrow. .

Many of you may remember my cousin drowning last year at Flaming Gorge, not wearing his PFD. DAD OBVIOUSLY DIDNT LEARN FROM THAT. A PFD wouldn't have saved him, but we'd have his body. Ignition tether wouldn't have saved him, but the boat would have been close to him, and the folks who found the boat probably would have seen dad's body.

So if you talk about not wearing a PFD while running, I hope you don't have anyone who loves you, because your stubbornness may ruin their lives. Knowing dad's speed and seeing the sharp U turn, I'm confident there is no hope. But, I'd rather not have our family and friends suffer through the waiting and hope that we will recover his body.

- Wear your damn PFD.
- As the capt of an open boat (not a pilot house or cabin), connect the ign tether. If you get thrown, chances are your entire crew will too. Please respect everyone's family and make it likely that the boat will be near by, to speed up rescue or recovery of your crew.

If I keep my Cat, I'll be buying an auto tether. http://www.autotether.com

Do they have a version that would work with Volvo Penta Diesel I/O?

I want one! That's the best price I've found.Dale

Might be interested, what type of lanyard does a 2008 Etec use, OMC2 ?

Robert

How many sensors does this work with and how much for the extra sensors?

First, I'm NOT arguing, just talking this through. The reason I don't use a kill switch of any kind, is that first I NEVER go out alone. My worry is that if I were to somehow go out of the boat, and the engine were cut, the other guy, still in the boat, could not start the engine and drive over and pick me up. Is that a valid concern? Or would the person in the boat be able to enable the starter? Maybe just pull apart that small gap that closes when the pin is pulled (on the manual system)?

I'm in for 2, one for me and donate one to my PSA OCEANS club for a raffle.

The control has a master shutoff. If you go out as the only person wearing the transmitter, motors die. Crew can push the override and restart asap and come get you.

I'm in for one.

I'm in for one as well, Fernando
Let's us know what's next

I'm in...

But please remember that if the wind is up and you go over you probably won't be able to catch your now dead in the water drifting boat. You don't believe me? Try it...it almost happened to me while changing my prop damaged by a Mola offshore.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Off to work, but count me in!!

I fish Solo often so I need this!!

C'mon guys, lets go on this! I know a bunch of you fish Solo, and even if you don't, this is a very important piece of equipment.

There have been 2 very recent threads on BD (within the span of less than two weeks)...... that's right TWO of guys getting tossed from their boats..... both due to steering failure! And in both these cases, there are two people still missing and presumed have died.

Let's get this thing rolling and get up to at least 15 units sold here on BD. I'm a cheap poor bastard, but I can't bare the thought of my daughters going through anymore hardship than they have. I need to stick around for a while if possible.

Gotta go...... I'm in!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Yep, I'm in. However, I will need the "Mercury side mount (red toggle)" for my Verado motor. :D

Please find out what type aftermarket kill switches they are compatible with.

Thanks.

I'd be in.

If it is an aftermarket switch I am sure you can make it work with some mod. This basically pops the lanyard off if the transmitter exceeds a certain distance from the receiver/actuator.

id be in let me know

Count me in.

I'm in. I was getting so frustrated last week trying to set jigs and move around solo in sloppy weather with that red cord. This is pretty slick.

yep. I'd get one....

count me in. you can get more activator clips for each passenger I believe. If so I will take two extra for passengers.

Count me in

Thanks

You can count me in. What are the two different Mercury type switches? Pics would help. What's the next step???

Thanks!

Hey Scott
Count me in I will take one.

When do you plan to place the order?

Thanks for doing this KOF. I haven't looked into this at all, does anyone know if I need two as I have dual I/O's on the IMP?

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Exactly! Which is why I'm in on the group buy.

I added the drifting boat info because I don't think it's something anyone really thinks about unless it's brought up or they have been there and done that.

Add me to the list Kindafishy. THanks for putting this together.

Sweet. Thank you for keeping after this!

I'm interested as well. Thanks for doing this!

im interested too , how do i get the discount code

Please add me to your ordering list. Thanks

Im interested in one as well.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Please add me to the list of interested buyers.

I'm in for one also.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat

Kindafishy,

Thanks for posting this.

I am interested in this as well. I would like the 2 sensors and a Screamer.

So when will he be ready to ship, and whats the group price... ?

Upvote 0