Jul 27, 2018
People's Republik of Mexifornistan
Name
Bruce
Boat Name
PR49HD
First, kill a bison.

bowshotbison.jpgBOWBISONVICTORY.jpg

Second, allow it to age on the bone a good long time, for weeks. Cellophane prevents loss however, most of the carcass will be layered in fat so you won't lose much. I've aged big bulls for up to seven weeks with less than 5% loss.

Pull some prime cuts and brush with extra virgin olive oil & melted butter, sprinkle with Montréal seasoning and flash grill at high heat for four minutes, remove from heat and wrap in foil for 15 minutes, toss back on the grill at 300 degrees for 10 more minutes to finish (medium), or 3 more minutes for rare, then let sit for fifteen more minutes minimum (still wrapped in foil) so the juices can redistribute. Now cut into 2" thick ribeye steaks and enjoy.

IMGP1887.jpgIMGP1889.JPG005.JPG

There is room for all of God's magnificent creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
drool.gif

Where's Bruce?

Almost A Member
Jul 27, 2018
People's Republik of Mexifornistan
Name
Bruce
Boat Name
PR49HD
Where can I legally hunt a bison in the USA? That’s awesome how much does it cost to bag one of these beasts ?
Look into bison hunting in Utah & Colorado. These are the purest herds in the nation cuz back in the 1800s when the government commissioned for the destruction of bison herds in order to win the Indian wars, they were unable to get their wagons into the canyon country of these bordering states. Bison in other states have varying percentages of bovine DNA. You don't want to hunt grain fed bison with white fat, you want grass fed, free range bison with yellow fat. Taste a lot better, sweeter and better for you.

Bison-fat grass fed.jpg

If you intend to use a taxidermist for the robe or a mount, hunt in Nov & Dec when their new robes are fresh. Took my first one with a rifle, was anti-climatic for me, switched to a bow immediately after. Much more rewarding. The first round took out both lungs but I didn't want him to suffer so i put a second through his neck. Blew a 3" chunk of spine out of him, sent him cartwheeling like a rag doll (ya don't see that very often) and was DRT before he hit the ground. best viewed in full screen cuz this was shot on a flip phone many years ago. Costs vary between 3-7K on average not including meat aging/processing, taxidermy and travel/transportation costs. Costs vary based on draw vs canned hunt, bull vs cow, size and type of hunt. I didn't use a guide, had a friend join me. Ran roughly $5500 I think. Cost and availability is much more of an issue now. Search the interweb.

Last edited:
Reactions: jk3 and Jefffish
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Beautifully done!

Upvote 0

Cactus Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 30, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Looks amazing! The only bison I've ever had was just bison burgers. I'd love to try a more gourmet cut like that. Rib eye is my favorite cut of beef

Upvote 0