Greensticking ahi on the Lepika

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by kingfisher1, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kingfisher1

kingfisher1 Member

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    n/a
  2. Lokelani Kai

Lokelani Kai Newbie

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    24 Yellowfin Allysa K
    Way to go Aaron,Great to see there are still Ahi running.Thanks for the photos and an interesting write up Aloha Al.

3. kerncat

kerncat Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    Nice day on the Ahi...As to the green stick, I used to fish frequently with Jack Ross (in the 70's on the Foxy Lady .... Uniflite at the harbor)...then on the Captain Jack...Jack's home built 43' that was at Kehoe Bay and then on the Eclipse in the Harbor...If memory serves me right Jack and his son Billy were among the first to run a green stick (the big, big, big center stick) and they ran it off a great big bird, ala commericial ahi fishing, right down the middle... looked like someone was dragging a dingy upside down with the ruckus of the huge bird...pictures of the Eclipse show the base of the green stick in the cockpit next to the bridge ladder...think it's about 8" in diameter at the lower end...also the commercial gear for retreival of the bird and line is seen on the bridge.... Seems that Jack or Billy told me that the green stick on the Eclipse might be of carbon fiber or some combination of carbon and glass or something like that...

There was a major article on the Captain Jack and his early days of fishing the green stick that came out in the very late 70's or the early 80's if memory serves me...think more toward the late 70's..Talked to Jack and find that they have sold the boat and are no longer in the charter business...he'd been there probably over 40 years...one of the real old timers....haven't been over since 2004....about time for another trip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Nice report and pictures. It's good to see that persistence in working the porpoise paid off. Thanks for sharing.

Jonny