WTB Greenough/Radon 17-21

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat
None
In the market for one of these fine sleds. Please share info if you are aware of any! Beer and BBQ for finders!

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat
None

Not mine but looks sick!

That is a really nice boat, but those Davis boats are just a little too big for my tow rig. A couple weeks ago Harold had a gorgeous 22' Cortez pilothouse with a diesel in the yard for 60k. Original owner, maintenance records back to its build in 2002, that thing was cherry. It was a fantastic boat, but I am not interested to buy a new tow vehicle just to get it to the marina.

He estimated the weight at 8800lbs with fuel. My tow vehicle is rated to 7700lbs but I would prefer to keep it under 7k in the interest of traveling the boat around. I discussed the weight of the Anderson/Greenough boats with the guys at the yard and they said (if my memory serves) a 17' is under 4k and the 21 is a hair over 5k lbs.

Keep the tips coming guys, I really appreciate it!

HarborSeal

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Santa Barbara County
Name
Justin
Boat
Anderson G21
I had better luck after posting my budget like Canyon said. Now isn’t the best time for the boat search because the market is on fire but miracles do happen. My boat find was a miracle. Good luck with the search.

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I had better luck after posting my budget like Canyon said. Now isn’t the best time for the boat search because the market is on fire but miracles do happen. My boat find was a miracle. Good luck with the search.
Thank you for the info. I'd like to spend under 75k.
If you have budget, buy that 16 Radoncraft, and lengthen the Hull 2.5 or 3.’

problem solved.
That is one option but I think there is a pretty notable difference in the beam, 6' vs 8' or so. In my experience, it's preferred to "buy once, cry once" and make sure you get the right boat. Once again I'm very appreciative of the patience and assistance the central coast community has demonstrated. Cheers.

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat
None
If you have budget, buy that 16 Radoncraft, and lengthen the Hull 2.5 or 3.’

problem solved.
That is one option but I think there is a pretty notable difference in the beam, 6' vs 8' or so. In my experience, it's preferred to "buy once, cry once" and make sure you get the right boat. Once again I'm very appreciative of the patience and assistance the central coast community has demonstrated. Cheers.

sbsurfer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff

Huge difference in the beam on those. The 16 Radon is 6'6'' I believe...you'll want an 8ft beam if your budget is up to 75k.

Seems to me your tow rig is the limiting factor. You won't buy once, cry once if you don't get a bigger truck. Probly a bunch of 0% financing deals out there being the end of the year and slow sales for autos this year. Every truck I bought in the last 15 years was bc of a Radon I bought :)

Might be worth a call to Jeff Hull in Ventura, he is building new 22's and if you increased your budget a little bit you'd be in a new boat designed the way you want...could even finance the motor if needed.

1598373640109.png

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Talked to that guy yesterday for a bit. Cool project but it'll need a new fuel tank, all rigging, etc etc....with his asking price you'd be $50k into that thing in a heartbeat without the addition of a pilothouse/cuddy cabin.

twinfinpig

On the water
Jul 27, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Nick
Boat
19' Guardian
Was it the actual pilot house model or the more commonly available half cab style?

That is a really nice boat, but those Davis boats are just a little too big for my tow rig. A couple weeks ago Harold had a gorgeous 22' Cortez pilothouse with a diesel in the yard for 60k. Original owner, maintenance records back to its build in 2002, that thing was cherry. It was a fantastic boat, but I am not interested to buy a new tow vehicle just to get it to the marina.

He estimated the weight at 8800lbs with fuel. My tow vehicle is rated to 7700lbs but I would prefer to keep it under 7k in the interest of traveling the boat around. I discussed the weight of the Anderson/Greenough boats with the guys at the yard and they said (if my memory serves) a 17' is under 4k and the 21 is a hair over 5k lbs.

Keep the tips coming guys, I really appreciate it!

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Talked to that guy yesterday for a bit. Cool project but it'll need a new fuel tank, all rigging, etc etc....with his asking price you'd be $50k into that thing in a heartbeat without the addition of a pilothouse/cuddy cabin.
It definitely seems like quite a project. Not sure if I have the bandwidth for something like a complete rebuild. I read an Ed Anderson quote on this forum about when it's practicable to take on a project, I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

Was it the actual pilot house model or the more commonly available half cab style?
It was an open back pilothouse with helm and passenger seats, as well as detachable jumpseats aft of the canvas back.

IMG951566 (1).jpg

montereymarlin

Apr 21, 2015
Name
N. M. S.
Boat
TrevorBrian
It definitely seems like quite a project. Not sure if I have the bandwidth for something like a complete rebuild. I read an Ed Anderson quote on this forum about when it's practicable to take on a project, I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

It was an open back pilothouse with helm and passenger seats, as well as detachable jumpseats aft of the canvas back.

View attachment 1190752
That’s a fucking deal for 60k!!!

Reactions: sbsurfer