Green water dampens action

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Rancho Leonero, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Rancho Leonero

Rancho Leonero Member

Name:
    John Ireland
    Boat:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Rancho Leonero Resort
    East Cape BCS, Mexico

A report right from the source
    [​IMG]
    The week of June 17-24

The Environment:

Water – 77-82 degrees. Green, colder water worked its way both inside and south early this week. The water outside has remained clear and warm.

Air – No matter what the calendar reads, it’s still spring weather; very pleasant with highs in the 80s, cool mornings and evenings.

The Bottom Line:

Rancho Leonero anglers have enjoyed a remarkable wide open bite for three straight weeks. Early in the week, with the influx of colder green water, fishing for tuna and wahoo slowed. However, striped marlin and dorado are still biting and the gallos have been huge and plentiful. When this cooler water from the south flushes out, the fishing will definitely get back on track … you got our word on it!

Billfish All anglers targeting striped marlin are releasing at least one. Very light pressure as most anglers are fishing close inshore. Most of the marlin hookups are within a mile of the beach. There are lots of them off the La Ribera ledge south to the lighthouse. Live caballito and tube mackerel are working best; some taken on chunk squid.

Yellowfin TunaThinning, but still some around; good-size fish in the 30-pound class. Most were taken in the same areas mixed with the dorado. Success comes in many forms, but mostly on chunk squid and small Rapalas.

Dorado – More and larger fish this week … south to Vinorama, with the majority taken off the lighthouse. Average fish weighed around 12 pounds, however some larger bulls showed up as well. Use hoochies, cedar plugs, live bait and chunk squid. They are all working.
    06.25.17.jpg
    RoosterfishBig, BIG, roosterfish are leading the parade. Fifty-pounders are common and 70- to 80-pounders are not unusual. An 80-pound rooster is a monster! All anglers fishing roosterfish are releasing multiple fish over 40 pounds. One boat released 12. (That’s 12 in one day.) The area just off the lighthouse has been best. Tube mackerel and caballito have both been deadly bait.

Fly-fishers: Plan on using a minimum 10-weight rod … 11- or 12-weight even better.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch

Quite a few big pargo and amberjack were taken in the same areas as roosterfish.

June is THE MONTH for fishing from the beach and it can be very productive; begin early morning before the boats launch and continue after dusk!

cortezpirasea likes this.
  2. Markshark94

Markshark94 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    JETSKIER
    I will be there the 29th for 5 nights. Will this cold water ruin the chances of catching rooster fish from the beach?

3. mslick

mslick Member

I just pulled this surface temp heat map for Cabo. If you take into account that the Hurricane/Tropical Storm pushing up from southern Mexico one would think that this would have some positive effect on pushing the green water West & North as we progress into the weekend. Any thoughts from knowledgeable Cabo folk?

IMG_6409.PNG IMG_6417.PNG IMG_6439.PNG

4. LarryHaynes

LarryHaynes Member

If the cold water hangs around, then yes. If not, you will be fine.

Do you have a terrafin account? It shows cold water inshore from the Pacific side all the way East to Punta Arena.

By the way, it's not Spring.

I had the same thought about that weather system. It can help or mess things up, depending how intense and how close it comes to the peninsula.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    [email protected] likes this.
  5. Markshark94

Markshark94 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    JETSKIER
    I do not but I'll check it out. Hoping for the best. Thanks for the reply.

6. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I am down here in Los Barriles right now. Earlier in the week the fishing was slow....green water and lots of wind. Things are looking a lot better today. Calmer and better color to the water. Fishing is ok. Not great, not horrible.

mulegemike likes this.
  7. mslick

mslick Member

Mark difference on the sea temp maps things look like moving in the right direction! First photo was couple of days ago second one is today.

IMG_6439.PNG IMG_6476.JPG

8. BajaFishBoy

BajaFishBoy Newbie

Name:
    Mike Blodgett
    Boat:
    Cobra Fishing Kayak
    I am at Rancho Leonero right now and the fishing here sucks! If you can cancel your trip I would advise coming down at some other time. The water is cold and it is not because of the storm. I fished all day for roosters yesterday 6/28/17 and never got a bite. I fished all day today and caught one pargo.

NO DORADO, NO TUNA, NO WAHOO, NO ROOSTERFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was good fishing for a very short period last week and the week before but I am here right now and no bull#### the fishing sucks!

I also fished several days in La Paz, with Tailhunter and the fishing up there sucks too. Cold water and caught 2 midget Dorados and one midget Yellowfin Tuna. People claiming better conditions and numbers are not telling the whole story!!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. Crzyboy180

Crzyboy180 Border Dad

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    18ft Klamath -sold
    I wonder how things will be for this weekend in San Jose... looks like things are shaping up

10. Moomba

Moomba Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    skiboat
    I'm in Los barriles, been here since sunday. Went out on monday with Bajas Awesome Sportfishing, got one 20# tuna. Rough day for all of the boats thanks to hurricane Dora.
    Went out on thursday instead of Wednesday which was our scheduled 2nd day. Theresa Comber, who owns the business rescheduled us to make sure we had a better day. We got 4 tuna to 25# and a 15# dorado. Saw a couple of pods of Bairds beaked whales which ive never seen before, and Ive been coming here since 1979. The tuna and dorado were caught at the end of the day, thanks to the hard working Louis and his deckhand Jeraldo.
    Yep fishing definitely dropped off from last week, but hey thats fishing. Should have been here last week or 2 weeks ago. I'm sure once the water gets its color back, fishin will go off!
    We will be coming back because this is a favorite of ours. I think we have made a new friend with Theresa and will use her boats again.
    Did I mention the resaurants??? Dammmmmm!!!

Richard

11. Bruce Niccum

Bruce Niccum Newbie

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    Bass boat
    Headed there the 4th, fishing Weds, Thurs an Friday. Hopefully it cleans up a little by then
    Thanks for the update
    Bruce

12. mulegemike

mulegemike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    Thanks to you guys down there for the updates much appreciated heading down next week. Hopefully the water clears up. Beer will always be cold at least!

Bruce Niccum likes this.
  13. Moomba

Moomba Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    skiboat
    We rented quads today, went to punta pescadero. Tried snorkeling from the beach but the visibility wasn't good. We just got back to the Villas and looking out, everyone who went out today got tuna and a few marlin released. The tuna aren't big, but they eat real nice! My bet is it will kick off in few days. Roosters are still around if that's your want....

Beer/tequila and food is the same, AWESOME!!

Richard

14. Bruce Niccum

Bruce Niccum Newbie

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    Bass boat
    Thanks for the update ,, looking forward to next week, Cold Beer,,,Tequila and great food is always a plus

Enjoy
    Bruce

15. troutfisher22

troutfisher22 Newbie

Name:
    mp
    Boat:
    23' CC
    Thanks for updates. Heading to Leonero on Wednesday. Hoping for clean warm water and cold beer. Cold beer is quaranteed.

16. MinnesotaPhats

MinnesotaPhats Lover

Name:
    J. David LeCompte
    Boat:
    20' Triton
    Yeah, for those of you saying there was good fishing last week?
    Or the week before?
    Fret not. You didn't miss much.
    The bite died in early June, right when I arrived.
    The good news is, I'm leaving tomorrow!

The last couple days have been more typical E. Cape weatherwise, and the fishing/temps seem to be following suit. More Tuna moving in, some stripeys and assorted bills, scattered (but big) Gallos. Hopefully this marks good things to come! Saludos y suerte!

17. mslick

mslick Member

Fished today. Caught a marlin on dead bait & (14) tuna nothing big but yeck a lot of fun!
    Certainly would tell anyone to stay home or cancel a trip & weather is looking even better this afternoon.

Note inshore today was windy and looked rough outside no issues.

MinnesotaPhats likes this.