Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Wait, I didn’t see nudity.

Old video BTW

Other pic is a basking shark

Spearingforum is full of bullshit. Elitists trying to keep people out of the water... Catalina must be wide open right now...
The one out in the open might be a basking shark. The one with the dog on the beach is not. There is also video of that shark. Definite white.

Upvote 0

stormwater

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2009
Malibu/CA/USA
Name
Red
Boat
9' Inflatable
I’m pretty sure you can’t not notice a shark that just inhaled your GoPro. I believe the op and I’m sure there are sharks everywhere you go but that video is suspect as that shark seems to have taken a sample bite of whatever was in the original footage

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Mrs. Great White? Nudity? Link, haha?

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Its fake. Hot chick trying to get attention or someone clearing out the water. If clearing out the water sorry to blow the whistle

Al was a bad ass. Thank you for the article. I wasn't even born yet. I think that was when lupe was packing bft and not current day yft

With all due respect 5-20, I have been on too many dog bite calls involving the family dog who "never acted like this before" when it attacked the child. Animals are unpredictable at times. Use due caution.

This is true.

When a gws attacks live prey they ignite and light the prey up at high speed swimming up. Hence their body color camouflage. Also so the prey doesn't hurt their eye or bite them or scratch them. Seals are rather gnarly to eat. A seal will defend itself with claws and teeth.That's why the gws hits the seal and then lets the seal bleed out to death. Then eat. You won't see a gws attack coming and if you do like a nano second and by then its way to late

When they feast on dead prey they feed lazy style. Like a floating dead whale they just chomp on it for days doing their ocean clean up job purpose in life

Sharks don't have hands. So they do feel with their mouth. Does anyone know of a reported gws attack that the person survived and they saw the gws stalking them well before it bit them?

When divers and swimmers and surfers are hit. I don't ever hear they saw the gws hunting them first.

Basically no one is going to swim and get away from a gws if its trying to bite them. They are a tad faster if they want to be. So if a diver sees one they did not escape from the gws from swimming away fast. They just didn't get attacked

If a gws feels you with its mouth out of curiosity. That would be a big bloody problem

Have spent thousands of hours looking at the black ocean surface at night from home. Wondering what lies below the surface

Btw: I would believe the creator of bd. He's pretty good at the internet dorky side of this. And the bad ass stuff

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
The two girls video could be a fake, but, it is entirely possible they did not see it in the murky water. The other photos and video are from reliable people; one who lives on the island....A small basking shark (to 45') can be mistaken for a big white (to 25')...However, the difference is the great white's fin is rigid and upright, while the basking shark's fin is floppy and usually is laying over...
...One photo is missing above...it is the Go Pro video of the white on Ship Rock several weeks back, with the big fin showing on the surface as the diver is racing for his boat...The diver has a camera mounted to his face mask to document spear catches as they occur...Search lower on the Spearforum site to see it....
...I tell the young turks that if they can survive the first rush, they will have a good chance of surviving the encounter....
...moral: " A man has to know his limits" (Dirty Harry)

Last edited:
Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
The two girls video could be a fake, but, it is entirely possible they did not see it in the murky water. The other photos and video are from reliable people; one who lives on the island....A small basking shark (to 45') can be mistaken for a big white (to 25')...However, the difference is the great white's fin is rigid and upright, while the basking shark's fin is floppy and usually is laying over...
...One photo is missing above...it is the Go Pro video of the white on Ship Rock several weeks back, with the big fin showing on the surface as the diver is racing for his boat...The diver has a camera mounted to his face mask to document spear catches as they occur...Search lower on the Spearforum site to see it....
...I tell the young turks that if they can survive the first rush, they will have a good chance of surviving the encounter....
...moral: " A man has to know his limits" (Dirty Harry)

That video looked like it was shot in the mooring fields. Has anyone ever seen one in that tight amongst all the lines? That was my first indication to think it was fake. I could maybe see that first pass but they would have certainly "felt" that shark pass the second time with it's mouth open. Reminded me of that australian video where they're cliff diving and pretty much land on a great white. Same editing style

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
I know of two encounters wherein the diver did not see the shark but, felt a pulse of water hitting them as the shark passed by up close checking out a possible meal...One said he just thought it was a wave going over until he actually saw the fish..
....When the 15'er was closing in on me, I had to force myself to swim at a steady pace, which is damn difficult when you are scared as hell...Instinctively, I knew that to swim fast or erratically would trigger the shark to instantly attack what he perceives as escaping prey...
...While their brain is the size of a walnut, they aren't stupid and will often look over the situation before closing in and risking injury...This works to a divers advantage..They have had thousands of years to perfect their hunting skills and I have only had 55 years.....:)

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
So you would get in the water with a GW swimming around ? it's just curious right ? i see no "misrepresentation"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Why was it a big mistake ? The shark didn’t eat any of those people, did it? That shark was just curious about those people.

Gotta stop misrepresenting those awesome creatures.
So you would get in the water with a GW swimming around ? it's just curious right ? i see no "misrepresentation"[/QUOTE]
If you want to swim with a bunch of em simply go in the water between manhattan and hermosa beach piers ...
Thousands of swimmers,surfers and paddle boarders do every day....
The paddleboarders get too see em up close ...
We have spotted as many as 14 different whites between the piers in one day while doing the tagging program with LBSU...

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I was trying to quote 5-20.Don't know whats going on here.And no i'm not dumb enough to purposely be in the water with smiley swimming around.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
I will be the first to fully support each person's 1st Amendment right to an opinion (including 5-20's troll baiting), but......I also believe that the only cure for ignorance is education and the only cure for stupidity is a 2x4 over the head...….Then, there is my wife's question of which category I fit in?......:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

887F9616-1190-48D7-987A-5FF1F44EFD85.jpeg
No disrespect to the OP.

Amazing how a tiburon post wakes people up, though. Probably a good thing. Respect.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Btw: I was not referring to paddymans videos.

Boo scared of the dark
FB_IMG_1551390270202.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I think deep blue has been in hawaii. So count her out. A way to more fame

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2018
Capo Beach
Name
⚓
Boat
Row boat
Just a heads up, fellows....More than one great white sighting recently...Several weeks ago. a free diver was spearing at Ship Rock when a big one appeared next to him...It went by several times before he was able to reboard his boat. They waited a half hour, then, thinking it had probably moved on, reentered to continue diving...Big mistake...it was immediately on top of them again..This time, they bailed on to a "better" spot. A pic of the dorsal is online and estimates place it at between 12 and 15' in length.
...A few days ago, it or a brother reappeared just off the Isthmus and a photo of another big dorsal indicates a jumbo size eater.
...Yesterday, two girls were snorkeling in limited vis water off a sailboat at the Isthmus. One had a GoPro attached to her mask. She didn't see the gw, but, the video shows one passing by her about 5 to 10' away and shortly, reappearing in the video with it's mouth open swimming right at her....They never saw the shark according to accounts posted online.
...In the last day or two, a guy and his dog were on the beach by the water line at Howland's Landing, when a great white appeared almost on the beach. The shark showed visible interest in the dog, according to it's owner...It was thrashing around in about 6' of water. A clear photo of the incident is posted online today...
...So, if you like to take a cool dip after a days' fishing at the Isthmus, perhaps a shower onshore might be indicated....
...Had a 15'er almost get me at Church Rock years back while free diving...Fortunately, I saw it coming after me and was able to make it inside a kelp bed just before it got to me. It followed me up to the surface from 40' and actually broke the surface, lying next to the kelp bed for a few seconds...I call that my "Most Religeous Experience"....of course, my boat had drifted out into open water away from the kelp bed. Made the boat in record time and when my tossed speargun hit the deck, my feet were right beside it....
...One of my two divng buddies was killed by a great white at Guadalupe island back before we were aware that they congregate there...With the recent green water at Catalina, some caution is indicated before jumping into limited vis situations...At 72, I still go spearfishing, but, I look back behind me more often, these days....:)
Thank you for the heads up . I am sorry to hear of the haunting/ chilling loss of your friend in the past. I have noticed the Whites are very curious fish and when something catches their attention they will stay right there and in some cases their nature plays out in full effect. To be in the presence of a White is amazing to be close to one in their world without protection of a cage etc is surreal, enlightening, and as you said religious.

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
I have yet to see a camera on her head through the entire video she even takes a picture of her head right before she goes underwater and I don’t see a camera ???? I’m not doubting that this could happen I just don’t see the camera

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
...The video of the two girls doesn't show a video camera with them and since both girls appear in the frames, it would indicate a 3rd person present filming, or, like some believe, it was fake and "photo shopped" to create attention for the cute chicks.
....Still, with all the incidents recently, extra caution is warranted ......
...In the ocean, prudence is the better part of valor...or, better, like me, "Walk soft and carry a big stick", er, speargun" (Teddy Roosevelt)

Upvote 0

brilliantdodo

Sep 3, 2003
Orange County
Name
Dan
Boat
Pro-Line
Had one slowly swim under the boat a few years ago along the backside of the island. It rolled on its side as it went under the boat and we noticed it had an orange tag. Honestly one of the coolest moments of my life that I will never forget.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Went 10 1/2 out of 11 at Lupe. Seriously :) interfered with a perfect score. Like pitching a no hitter or bowling.

Saw a gws boil on a hooked yellowtail that it chased to the surface

1226443_85332ca2d09359a1ece9ecb52e3b6824~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Great video!
If the guy was wearing his shirt . . . I'd watch it again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0