Great Whites showing at Catalina...

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Long Beach Bob, May 3, 2019.

1. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Video looks very fake...
    1. If real, it would have been all over the WORLD news and internet. All Catalina beaches would be closed, etc etc.
    2. The footage of the shark is way too good to be “coincidentally” captured and not seen.
    3. NO way the shark would of went unnoticed, as it literally would have to have brushed the girl and been on the surface.

OneBadCTM likes this.
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    I believe it Nick, although Jason pointed out it is an old video. I’m 55, and I remember as far back as Catalina summer camp when I was about 8 when these things were around. I recall one that was killed during our camp years, and they had it hanging in a refrigerated display at Sea World a couple weeks later. It was massive ( especially to an 8 year old).

We have plenty of whites in our waters, local and islands. Just depends if you’re lucky enough to encounter one.

Have a superfantastic weekend!

3. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Sorry to hear of the lupe diver. I never heard that before

I doubt its legit. Looks totally fake. Like all the other fakes. But yes there are gws for sure at Catalina island.

There are sharks in the ocean. Lots and lots of them

Gws are super burly sea monsters. And you won't see it coming if its going to attack you. You will see the gws underwater when its curious of you. A human underwater? What's that?

And that video is not a example of the above paragraph

4. talltale

talltale Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    With all due respect 5-20, I have been on too many dog bite calls involving the family dog who "never acted like this before" when it attacked the child. Animals are unpredictable at times. Use due caution.

Paddyman1 likes this.
  5. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
  6. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    The one out in the open might be a basking shark. The one with the dog on the beach is not. There is also video of that shark. Definite white.

7. dudeman

dudeman Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fish Taco
    Holy crap! That video is crazy. Ignorance is bliss, that could have ended a lot differently.

8. stormwater

stormwater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Red
    Boat:
    9' Inflatable
    I’m pretty sure you can’t not notice a shark that just inhaled your GoPro. I believe the op and I’m sure there are sharks everywhere you go but that video is suspect as that shark seems to have taken a sample bite of whatever was in the original footage

makairaa likes this.
  9. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Mrs. Great White? Nudity? Link, haha?

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

10. ZZZZZ

Name:
    Boat:
    Its fake. Hot chick trying to get attention or someone clearing out the water. If clearing out the water sorry to blow the whistle

Al was a bad ass. Thank you for the article. I wasn't even born yet. I think that was when lupe was packing bft and not current day yft

This is true.

When a gws attacks live prey they ignite and light the prey up at high speed swimming up. Hence their body color camouflage. Also so the prey doesn't hurt their eye or bite them or scratch them. Seals are rather gnarly to eat. A seal will defend itself with claws and teeth.That's why the gws hits the seal and then lets the seal bleed out to death. Then eat. You won't see a gws attack coming and if you do like a nano second and by then its way to late

When they feast on dead prey they feed lazy style. Like a floating dead whale they just chomp on it for days doing their ocean clean up job purpose in life

Sharks don't have hands. So they do feel with their mouth. Does anyone know of a reported gws attack that the person survived and they saw the gws stalking them well before it bit them?

When divers and swimmers and surfers are hit. I don't ever hear they saw the gws hunting them first.

Basically no one is going to swim and get away from a gws if its trying to bite them. They are a tad faster if they want to be. So if a diver sees one they did not escape from the gws from swimming away fast. They just didn't get attacked

If a gws feels you with its mouth out of curiosity. That would be a big bloody problem

Have spent thousands of hours looking at the black ocean surface at night from home. Wondering what lies below the surface

Btw: I would believe the creator of bd. He's pretty good at the internet dorky side of this. And the bad ass stuff

repo805 likes this.
  11. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    The two girls video could be a fake, but, it is entirely possible they did not see it in the murky water. The other photos and video are from reliable people; one who lives on the island....A small basking shark (to 45') can be mistaken for a big white (to 25')...However, the difference is the great white's fin is rigid and upright, while the basking shark's fin is floppy and usually is laying over...
    ...One photo is missing above...it is the Go Pro video of the white on Ship Rock several weeks back, with the big fin showing on the surface as the diver is racing for his boat...The diver has a camera mounted to his face mask to document spear catches as they occur...Search lower on the Spearforum site to see it....
    ...I tell the young turks that if they can survive the first rush, they will have a good chance of surviving the encounter....
    ...moral: " A man has to know his limits" (Dirty Harry)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    STANWOOD BOB likes this.
  12. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    That video looked like it was shot in the mooring fields. Has anyone ever seen one in that tight amongst all the lines? That was my first indication to think it was fake. I could maybe see that first pass but they would have certainly "felt" that shark pass the second time with it's mouth open. Reminded me of that australian video where they're cliff diving and pretty much land on a great white. Same editing style

13. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    I know of two encounters wherein the diver did not see the shark but, felt a pulse of water hitting them as the shark passed by up close checking out a possible meal...One said he just thought it was a wave going over until he actually saw the fish..
    ....When the 15'er was closing in on me, I had to force myself to swim at a steady pace, which is damn difficult when you are scared as hell...Instinctively, I knew that to swim fast or erratically would trigger the shark to instantly attack what he perceives as escaping prey...
    ...While their brain is the size of a walnut, they aren't stupid and will often look over the situation before closing in and risking injury...This works to a divers advantage..They have had thousands of years to perfect their hunting skills and I have only had 55 years.....:)

14. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    So you would get in the water with a GW swimming around ? it's just curious right ? i see no "misrepresentation"

15. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    So you would get in the water with a GW swimming around ? it's just curious right ? i see no "misrepresentation"[/QUOTE]
    If you want to swim with a bunch of em simply go in the water between manhattan and hermosa beach piers ...
    Thousands of swimmers,surfers and paddle boarders do every day....
    The paddleboarders get too see em up close ...
    We have spotted as many as 14 different whites between the piers in one day while doing the tagging program with LBSU...

16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I was trying to quote 5-20.Don't know whats going on here.And no i'm not dumb enough to purposely be in the water with smiley swimming around.

17. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    I will be the first to fully support each person's 1st Amendment right to an opinion (including 5-20's troll baiting), but......I also believe that the only cure for ignorance is education and the only cure for stupidity is a 2x4 over the head...….Then, there is my wife's question of which category I fit in?......:)

18. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
  19. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    887F9616-1190-48D7-987A-5FF1F44EFD85.jpeg No disrespect to the OP.

Amazing how a tiburon post wakes people up, though. Probably a good thing. Respect.

20. ZZZZZ

Name:
    Boat:
    Btw: I was not referring to paddymans videos.

Boo scared of the dark
    FB_IMG_1551390270202.jpg