Great Whites showing at Catalina...

PENN
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Just a heads up, fellows....More than one great white sighting recently...Several weeks ago. a free diver was spearing at Ship Rock when a big one appeared next to him...It went by several times before he was able to reboard his boat. They waited a half hour, then, thinking it had probably moved on, reentered to continue diving...Big mistake...it was immediately on top of them again..This time, they bailed on to a "better" spot. A pic of the dorsal is online and estimates place it at between 12 and 15' in length.
...A few days ago, it or a brother reappeared just off the Isthmus and a photo of another big dorsal indicates a jumbo size eater.
...Yesterday, two girls were snorkeling in limited vis water off a sailboat at the Isthmus. One had a GoPro attached to her mask. She didn't see the gw, but, the video shows one passing by her about 5 to 10' away and shortly, reappearing in the video with it's mouth open swimming right at her....They never saw the shark according to accounts posted online.
...In the last day or two, a guy and his dog were on the beach by the water line at Howland's Landing, when a great white appeared almost on the beach. The shark showed visible interest in the dog, according to it's owner...It was thrashing around in about 6' of water. A clear photo of the incident is posted online today...
...So, if you like to take a cool dip after a days' fishing at the Isthmus, perhaps a shower onshore might be indicated....
...Had a 15'er almost get me at Church Rock years back while free diving...Fortunately, I saw it coming after me and was able to make it inside a kelp bed just before it got to me. It followed me up to the surface from 40' and actually broke the surface, lying next to the kelp bed for a few seconds...I call that my "Most Religeous Experience"....of course, my boat had drifted out into open water away from the kelp bed. Made the boat in record time and when my tossed speargun hit the deck, my feet were right beside it....
...One of my two divng buddies was killed by a great white at Guadalupe island back before we were aware that they congregate there...With the recent green water at Catalina, some caution is indicated before jumping into limited vis situations...At 72, I still go spearfishing, but, I look back behind me more often, these days....:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

skiddd25

Jul 2, 2009
hb, ca, usa
Name
SKIDDD
Boat
Lil bugger
Just a heads up, fellows....More than one great white sighting recently...Several weeks ago. a free diver was spearing at Ship Rock when a big one appeared next to him...It went by several times before he was able to reboard his boat. They waited a half hour, then, thinking it had probably moved on, reentered to continue diving...Big mistake...it was immediately on top of them again..This time, they bailed on to a "better" spot. A pic of the dorsal is online and estimates place it at between 12 and 15' in length.
...A few days ago, it or a brother reappeared just off the Isthmus and a photo of another big dorsal indicates a jumbo size eater.
...Yesterday, two girls were snorkeling in limited vis water off a sailboat at the Isthmus. One had a GoPro attached to her mask. She didn't see the gw, but, the video shows one passing by her about 5 to 10' away and shortly, reappearing in the video with it's mouth open swimming right at her....They never saw the shark according to accounts posted online.
...In the last day or two, a guy and his dog were on the beach by the water line at Howland's Landing, when a great white appeared almost on the beach. The shark showed visible interest in the dog, according to it's owner...It was thrashing around in about 6' of water. A clear photo of the incident is posted online today...
...So, if you like to take a cool dip after a days' fishing at the Isthmus, perhaps a shower onshore might be indicated....
...Had a 15'er almost get me at Church Rock years back while free diving...Fortunately, I saw it coming after me and was able to make it inside a kelp bed just before it got to me. It followed me up to the surface from 40' and actually broke the surface, lying next to the kelp bed for a few seconds...I call that my "Most Religeous Experience"....of course, my boat had drifted out into open water away from the kelp bed. Made the boat in record time and when my tossed speargun hit the deck, my feet were right beside it....
...One of my two divng buddies was killed by a great white at Guadalupe island back before we were aware that they congregate there...With the recent green water at Catalina, some caution is indicated before jumping into limited vis situations...At 72, I still go spearfishing, but, I look back behind me more often, these days....:)
Where can we see the photos.

Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
It went by several times before he was able to reboard his boat. They waited a half hour, then, thinking it had probably moved on, reentered to continue diving...Big mistake...[/QUOTE]

Why was it a big mistake. The shark didn’t eat any of those people, did it? That shark was just curious about those people.

Gotta stop misrepresenting those awesome creatures.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
A couple of photos are posted on spearingforum.com and the others are on facebook for the non-believers....Heck, some people are cut out to just empty the dishwasher and feed the cat...but, free divers are a different breed of cat....:)

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Heres the post http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7783 with a few of the pics
Screen%20Shot%202019-05-01%20at%2011.40.33%20AM-2.png
58778940_10161697965480503_8224443780032364544_n.jpg

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
It went by several times before he was able to reboard his boat. They waited a half hour, then, thinking it had probably moved on, reentered to continue diving...Big mistake...

Why was it a big mistake. The shark didn’t eat any of those people, did it? That shark was just curious about those people.

Gotta stop misrepresenting those awesome creatures.[/QUOTE]

I quote my self as I read your post....
"WHAT A FUCKING DUMB ASS"

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Is it just me or does that video feel like your watching...
    JAWS 8 Clear the water! Rated R for adult language nudity and shark violence. Coming to a theatre near you.

Wait, I didn’t see nudity.

Old video BTW

Other pic is a basking shark

Spearingforum is full of bullshit. Elitists trying to keep people out of the water... Catalina must be wide open right now...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Wait, I didn’t see nudity.

Old video BTW

Other pic is a basking shark

Spearingforum is full of bullshit. Elitists trying to keep people out of the water... Catalina must be wide open right now...
    Maybe I just was imagining the nudity?

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
    Hollywood, CA, USA
    Name
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    That’s crazy. Here’s the GoPro video from the forum.

Video looks very fake...
    1. If real, it would have been all over the WORLD news and internet. All Catalina beaches would be closed, etc etc.
    2. The footage of the shark is way too good to be “coincidentally” captured and not seen.
    3. NO way the shark would of went unnoticed, as it literally would have to have brushed the girl and been on the surface.

Reactions: OneBadCTM
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Video looks very fake...
    1. If real, it would have been all over the WORLD news and internet. All Catalina beaches would be closed, etc etc.
    2. The footage of the shark is way too good to be “coincidentally” captured and not seen.
    3. NO way the shark would of went unnoticed, as it literally would have to have brushed the girl and been on the surface.
    I believe it Nick, although Jason pointed out it is an old video. I’m 55, and I remember as far back as Catalina summer camp when I was about 8 when these things were around. I recall one that was killed during our camp years, and they had it hanging in a refrigerated display at Sea World a couple weeks later. It was massive ( especially to an 8 year old).

We have plenty of whites in our waters, local and islands. Just depends if you’re lucky enough to encounter one.

Have a superfantastic weekend!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Sorry to hear of the lupe diver. I never heard that before

I doubt its legit. Looks totally fake. Like all the other fakes. But yes there are gws for sure at Catalina island.

There are sharks in the ocean. Lots and lots of them

Gws are super burly sea monsters. And you won't see it coming if its going to attack you. You will see the gws underwater when its curious of you. A human underwater? What's that?

And that video is not a example of the above paragraph

Upvote 0

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
    yucaipa
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    With all due respect 5-20, I have been on too many dog bite calls involving the family dog who "never acted like this before" when it attacked the child. Animals are unpredictable at times. Use due caution.

Reactions: Paddyman1
    Upvote 0