Great way to end 2020

Jay1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Boat hoe
Wow guys what a trip. Good thing he wasn’t over 150 lbs could of got dangerous. Awesome catch.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I’m still so pumped I couldn’t even sleep last night.
I would be until the New Year! You guys are animals!!!
Great fish!
Small boat bonus (right there!)

Reactions: Halfatruck

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
BADASS T. Pretty much the EndAll, you can relax the rest of your fishing career. Congrats to you guys. Send some steaks over for Sparkdogg and Jed.:devil:

Last edited:
  • Love

Halfatruck

Jul 10, 2012
Chino, Cali, USA
Name
Tom
Boat
The Salty Farmer
BADASS T. Pretty much the EndAll, you can relax the rest of your fishing career. Congrats to you guys. Send some steaks over for Sparkdogg and Jed.:devil:
You got it! I’m going to be dropping some off in Long Beach already so I’ll swing by Sparky’s and drop off a couple 🤘🏽

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
Great fishing trip, thanks for sharing. Incredible!!!!

SUPSquatchFish

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 23, 2019
San Clemente
Name
Jon
Boat
Robalo R180
Left Costa Mesa early Saturday morning after we loaded the 18’ aluminum boat we headed for Shelter Island to do some deep drop swordfishing, after several attempts this year with no success. Watched the seminar Wednesday on deep dropping and got some new ideas and put them to use.
After a smooth launch and ride to the spot we rigged up our rods and had both them set by 8:30. We had a plan to consider a move around noon for a reset if we didn’t get a bite. When a commercial deep dropper set up 100 yards off our bow, we then knew we were in a good spot and decided against a reset. Hours and hours went by with good conversations, beers and snacks and no bite. Around 14:00 my partner said We’ve got one hour before we head out. We had one rod at 1200’ below the DSL and the other was on the buoy at 900’ just above the DSL. The wind picked up around 14:20 and gave us some ruff water as the swell picked up the buoy would fold and kiss the water but wouldn’t stay down, my buddy and I were joking about just stay down. Well around 14:55 my buddy told me to stretch because we’ve got 5 more min before we leave and I was the one who was hand cracking the mak20. Right at that moment the buoy went flat and stayed there. I jumped up and started cranking!

Not having caught one of these swordfish before, I had only what I learned in the seminar and YouTube videos and I knew once the weight came off that it was Game On! Before the weight had came up the fish breached the surface and gave us a show! That’s when the adrenaline kicked in and I knew it was on and we caught a glimpse of the hook set and it was buried in his gut he woofed the squid! It went back and fourth for about an hour he’d come up and then shoot back down. Maneuvering around the boat was interesting but managed to move and reset rod in the holder, he breached once more and shot down, when I was able to recover what he took my buddy was ready with the flying gaff and when he was presented with the right spot he took it, we wrapped the tail and celebrated the accomplishment!
What a great time and experience and a great way to end 2020, can’t wait to see what 2021 has in store View attachment 1235893View attachment 1235894View attachment 1235895
SIIICCKKKKK! Nice work boys!

muskyman

Tina come get some ham
Feb 10, 2005
Loudon TN
Name
David
Boat
Crestliner 1750 Sportfish 150 E-Tec
Dude, I am not worthy. That is awesome. As a fellow tin owner, rock on man

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Left Costa Mesa early Saturday morning after we loaded the 18’ aluminum boat we headed for Shelter Island to do some deep drop swordfishing, after several attempts this year with no success. Watched the seminar Wednesday on deep dropping and got some new ideas and put them to use.
After a smooth launch and ride to the spot we rigged up our rods and had both them set by 8:30. We had a plan to consider a move around noon for a reset if we didn’t get a bite. When a commercial deep dropper set up 100 yards off our bow, we then knew we were in a good spot and decided against a reset. Hours and hours went by with good conversations, beers and snacks and no bite. Around 14:00 my partner said We’ve got one hour before we head out. We had one rod at 1200’ below the DSL and the other was on the buoy at 900’ just above the DSL. The wind picked up around 14:20 and gave us some ruff water as the swell picked up the buoy would fold and kiss the water but wouldn’t stay down, my buddy and I were joking about just stay down. Well around 14:55 my buddy told me to stretch because we’ve got 5 more min before we leave and I was the one who was hand cracking the mak20. Right at that moment the buoy went flat and stayed there. I jumped up and started cranking!

Not having caught one of these swordfish before, I had only what I learned in the seminar and YouTube videos and I knew once the weight came off that it was Game On! Before the weight had came up the fish breached the surface and gave us a show! That’s when the adrenaline kicked in and I knew it was on and we caught a glimpse of the hook set and it was buried in his gut he woofed the squid! It went back and fourth for about an hour he’d come up and then shoot back down. Maneuvering around the boat was interesting but managed to move and reset rod in the holder, he breached once more and shot down, when I was able to recover what he took my buddy was ready with the flying gaff and when he was presented with the right spot he took it, we wrapped the tail and celebrated the accomplishment!
What a great time and experience and a great way to end 2020, can’t wait to see what 2021 has in store View attachment 1235893View attachment 1235894View attachment 1235895
Great job!