GREAT Trips vs. Mediocre vs. Skunk Trips- what's the average?

PENN

JimmH

Captain
Jun 23, 2003
Rancho Bernardo-San Diego
instrumentengineers.com
Name
Jimm
Boat
98 Grady White 228; Cobra Maurader kayak
It is my observation that we all sign up for overnight/multi-day trips with the expectation that the trip will have GREAT fishing (limits, big fish, epic catch, freezer filling blood fests), but that most trips are, of course, less than that. There is a certain amount of "going to Vegas" in fishing... rolling the dice for a big winner. They seem to fall into mostly mediocre fishing (catch a couple of fish) to downright bad (the Skunk).

In my last trip (mediocre for me and most, the skunk for a few and a great trip for the one guiy that caught a 65 lb blue fin with 28 guys on a 2.5 day) we had time to discuss all manner of life issues, politics, world events, sports and, of course, fishing. Some guys were rookies, most take a ride 2-4 times a year, and one goes 10-12 times a year.

So, as we trolled along with few stops on day two I posed the question to guys on the boat that go more than once a year: "How often are your trips GREAT vs. Mediocre vs. Bad (the skunk or maybe a skipjack).

The answers seemed to support this :
-1 in 5 trips (20%) were GREAT
-3 in 5 trips (60%) were mediocre
-1 in 5 trips (20%) were Pepe le Pew

What are your experienced averages?

(This is not a survey of boat crew, food, bunks, boat names, etc. ...just the Fishing. Not trying to knock the fleet, just trying to get a feel for the averages)

note: In discussing with the other anglers I found that "average" trips didn't really describe the majority, but the "mediocre" hit more to the general feeling of those trips.

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
That sounds about right except for cbass fishing.
Cbass fishing is at least 50% skunko. Lmao

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
I think that average does have a place. I fished offshore 4 times last year. I had one great trip, no skunks but nothing I would call mediocre by any means. So 3 were average (and of one of those, my son was with me and caught a very nice bft so in some respects it was great).
The year before sucked and the year before that sucked and the year before that sucked. If I was to throw out those 3 years (that I also didnt fish much) and average over the last 10 or even 15 years, it would be average to great having caught limits more often than not.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
For me, just being out on the water is the home run. Catching is a bonus. Sometimes on 3/4 - 1 1/2 day trips I don't even get a line wet. I prefer to just relax, sit on the bait tank or some other higher position to just drink some beer, let someone else skippper, clean, etc. and just enjoy watching other anglers.

Upvote 0

stucktip

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 3, 2011
OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
Last year got near limits of YT and and YFT on a couple trips but the best was when I caught my first couple dorado, that trip was GREAT. This year I went on a 3/4day to the islands back in January and only caught one fish....but it was a 33lb yellowtail so that trip was GREAT for me. On Memorial Weekend I got skunked on my first day of a 2.5 and caught 4 fish on the second day. One of those was a 58lb BFT my new personal best. But what really made that trip was the group of anglers and the captain and crew. Probably one of the best groups I've ever fished with! What makes a trip great may not always be your fish count but the total experience.

Upvote 0

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
I'd say 1 out of 3 for me are great but...

As far as offshore trips I've been lucky enough to not have any trips where I've been skunked, but I don't get to go that much. There is a correlation though between the success rate and the length of trip. I've done overnighters and up to a 2.5 day trips, and obviously your chances to score an epic trip go up drastically the more time you have to fish. Even the difference between a 2 day and a 2.5 day is huge in my opinion. That being said, there is also a difference between an epic trip from your standpoint compared to that of the boat. I've never been on one of those trips where it goes WFO offshore where every bait that hits the water gets picked up, but I have been on trips where I've done very well for myself compared to others. I would love to have a trip one day where the boat gets plugged, but since you can't ever count on that I'm content to pay attention to whats going on and do everything I can to get an edge.

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

john e.

Aug 26, 2012
alta loma
Name
john
Boat
any
I went twice last year,rockfish opener to San Nic and a 3day in sept. Both trips were great,lots of fish and loads of fun. The year prior I went 3 times 1 pretty good, 1 excellent and one just damn weird (the cook killed himself 2nd night of a 3.5 day) although I did catch a lot of fish.

Upvote 0

MOBass

Dec 2, 2004
Ozark
Name
Thomas
Boat
18'2", Nitro, 882DC
I would need a broader range to rate trips and I would rate them on a sliding scale with fishing, weather, company, and food factored in. I have been on some long troll fest with nil fish and had a great time. I have been on some solid bites, but the trip was only so so because a drunk started a fight.

Truly epic trips where the meter is pegged on all factors are counted on one hand as are the truly awful trips. The vast majority fall in the grey range of so so to pretty good.

The extremes would be a WFO albacore trip with my dad and a great group of guys that knew how to slay fish and have fun doing it. We are talking eat bare hook. Food before and during the trip was stellar. Met up with old friends and made new ones.

At the other end. Coming down with the flu and spending 3 days in my bunk. Victory at sea conditions. I got off the boat and was happy to be alive.

Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
Went once a month last year(1.5) with 50% Great JP on one, from 7 to 11 on the others
25% Good lost 2 out of 7
25% OK first trip of the year for a couple

Now the year before, mostly heartbreaks with zips. Kind of depends on the year and what you're looking for ?!?

Upvote 0

HBTRANSPLANT

fISH fINDER
Jul 12, 2012
huntington beach
Name
craig
Boat
Many, but are none are mine
I've never been LR. It's always been 1 day to 3 days max. I have only been flat skunked on 1 trip ( was the same day as Northridge earthquake) way back when. We have no idea if it had effect or not, but it was a late July trip and Long fins had been plentiful at that time. We never marked a fish.
I have had my now 80 year old dad on for fathers day before. He's a good ole boy from Southern Illinois and caught nothing but shark all day as we all caught tuna.
I spent a season and a half being my good buddies fishing caddy as he fought cancer like a warrior, as he pushed through pain for a full 10 days of fishing and became an inspiration for life.

I'm now taking my 14 year old next weekend on a 1.5 offshore for his first run at a fish over 5 pounds. ( I COULD NOT BE MORE STOKED FOR HIM, AND SECRETLY ME).

No cell phone or e-mails for days at a time PRICELESS !!

Is there really a bad day fishing ? even steaming up line for 8-12 hours through a shit box of bad weather and water is better than most days on land.

100 % - stoked

Reactions: spize909
Upvote 0

lasvegas

May 31, 2014
Name
lasvegas
Boat
lasvegas
from a catching fish standpoint, 60% mediocre, 20% great... i'll take those odds. san diego must have good fishing. hope it fires off in this next week. fish on...

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
your friend will be smiling and watching now your the mentor for your son they will all be good trips fish are icing on the cake
I've never been LR. It's always been 1 day to 3 days max. I have only been flat skunked on 1 trip ( was the same day as Northridge earthquake) way back when. We have no idea if it had effect or not, but it was a late July trip and Long fins had been plentiful at that time. We never marked a fish.
I have had my now 80 year old dad on for fathers day before. He's a good ole boy from Southern Illinois and caught nothing but shark all day as we all caught tuna.
I spent a season and a half being my good buddies fishing caddy as he fought cancer like a warrior, as he pushed through pain for a full 10 days of fishing and became an inspiration for life.

I'm now taking my 14 year old next weekend on a 1.5 offshore for his first run at a fish over 5 pounds. ( I COULD NOT BE MORE STOKED FOR HIM, AND SECRETLY ME).

No cell phone or e-mails for days at a time PRICELESS !!

Is there really a bad day fishing ? even steaming up line for 8-12 hours through a shit box of bad weather and water is better than most days on land.

100 % - stoked

Reactions: HBTRANSPLANT
Upvote 0