Offshore Great start cut short!!!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Well let's go with good news first!!!! After our Big Fish Drama Sunday!!! We thought let's gun it straight to the scene of the crime!! Got bait mix of dines and chovy!! No Mack's. We made a stop at our mackerel hole. Not too lucky four nice pieces. But was very early. So at 4:15 we leave point Loma. We arrived on the 43 no stops. Metered some deep but that was fine we slide in amonxed others. No takers on dines. I but a Mack on. It soaked for ten min I started pulling in about twenty cranks it gets picked up lightly put in free spool it drops it I let it sit. Then gets inhaled !!! Five count...... Put in gear!!!! WHAM!!!!! It's on .... But can tell it's not Moby Dick!!! Few minutes color Rick sinks gaff in a 30# BFT. Bleed but on ice back fishing!! Rick buts on Mack #2 lays it in fifteen minutes go by. I say reel some. No luck. Then out of nowhere a boil then ten feet off stern... A mass rush of the biggest local fish I have ever seen in forty years!!! I thought I was on Hurricane Bank!!! Cows blow up out of water. Throwing dines they eat them on the water surface even on inches out of water!!!! But none on our baits!!!!! Damn!!! Ricks phone rings!! Daughter in car accident with head injury!!! So at 8:30 we are full speed back to ramp!! On way in saw birds n boils fish are everywhere. Sad day!! His daughter is stable. But not out of the woods. I'm sitting at CHOC with him writing this. I made a couple guys at ramp happy when while I was waiting to put boat on trailer... I gave the BFT to them. They where nice helped us tie boat down real fast!!! Pray for Amy!!! TL

Upvote 0

Calscot

Aug 28, 2012
Dana Point
Name
Peter
Boat
38' Mediterranean
Well let's go with good news first!!!! After our Big Fish Drama Sunday!!! We thought let's gun it straight to the scene of the crime!! Got bait mix of dines and chovy!! No Mack's. We made a stop at our mackerel hole. Not too lucky four nice pieces. But was very early. So at 4:15 we leave point Loma. We arrived on the 43 no stops. Metered some deep but that was fine we slide in amonxed others. No takers on dines. I but a Mack on. It soaked for ten min I started pulling in about twenty cranks it gets picked up lightly put in free spool it drops it I let it sit. Then gets inhaled !!! Five count...... Put in gear!!!! WHAM!!!!! It's on .... But can tell it's not Moby Dick!!! Few minutes color Rick sinks gaff in a 30# BFT. Bleed but on ice back fishing!! Rick buts on Mack #2 lays it in fifteen minutes go by. I say reel some. No luck. Then out of nowhere a boil then ten feet off stern... A mass rush of the biggest local fish I have ever seen in forty years!!! I thought I was on Hurricane Bank!!! Cows blow up out of water. Throwing dines they eat them on the water surface even on inches out of water!!!! But none on our baits!!!!! Damn!!! Ricks phone rings!! Daughter in car accident with head injury!!! So at 8:30 we are full speed back to ramp!! On way in saw birds n boils fish are everywhere. Sad day!! His daughter is stable. But not out of the woods. I'm sitting at CHOC with him writing this. I made a couple guys at ramp happy when while I was waiting to put boat on trailer... I gave the BFT to them. They where nice helped us tie boat down real fast!!! Pray for Amy!!! TL
It's only fish...I sincerely hope your pals kid makes a perfect recovery. Prayers and best wishes!

Upvote 0

rubble

May 10, 2007
SoCal.
Name
Robert
Boat
Trophy 1802WA
Best of luck to your daughter Rick & family & thanks for gettin' the report up anyway under such conditions Jeff.......
Keep us posted....:(

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Great story.... Until the end.

Way to stoke out some people with a BFT.

Upvote 0

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Lovin the whole story till you got to Amy! Anyhow, I know you're forgettin fishin for now as you support your buddy.

Prayin for Amy. She may not know it, but she just became part of the BD family! Stay strong Amy!!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    prayers sent, hope the yong lady is OK!

Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
  • Apr 25, 2003
    Escondido
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    AAA+++ Ho
    Very sorry to hear about Amy's injury.
    I'm praying for healing and a complete recovery - and strength and courage for Rick and his family.
    Thanks for the report. But sorry for the sobering news.
    Godspeed to all.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    *********Update************ Thank you BD Family!!! Rick and family and I are all very thankful for well wishes!!! It's almost Midnite. Good news the swelling of her brain came down and she is awake and responsive. Medicated but appears to be coming out of the woods!!! So after being beat up bad flying in in seas that beat us up terribly!! Bounced around to the MAX!!! I'm heading home to kiss my family and count my blessings!! God Bless!!! And thanks again on behalf of Ricks Family and mine!! Jeff

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    *********Update************ Thank you BD Family!!! Rick and family and I are all very thankful for well wishes!!! It's almost Midnite. Good news the swelling of her brain came down and she is awake and responsive. Medicated but appears to be coming out of the woods!!! So after being beat up bad flying in in seas that beat us up terribly!! Bounced around to the MAX!!! I'm heading home to kiss my family and count my blessings!! God Bless!!! And thanks again on behalf of Ricks Family and mine!! Jeff

That is good news. The fish will be around.

Upvote 0

bajaspearo

May 25, 2006
    Corona
    Name
    Tanner Cortes
    Boat
    18' Stringari
    We're all praying for Amy to make a 100% recovery. Please send our best to the family!
    BD Family

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    I have had that call before, there is nothing worse. Best to his daughter and wishes for s speedy recovery.

Upvote 0

brian fulton

Can’t help it
    Aug 13, 2008
    lake forest.ca
    Name
    brianfulton
    Boat
    Happy Hour.
    There are no words to say to you,you are a true man in all senses.My hat goes off to the both of you but much respect to the father.I'm sure everybody that is part of the BD is praying for her and that's it.I would like to meet you two to shake your hands.

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
    May 21, 2006
    Frazier Park
    Name
    Mikee
    Boat
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    Great lil report, Prayers sent for Amy on a continued speedy recovery so Daddy and Jeff can go Kill BFT!!

Reactions: fishfish
    Upvote 0

muledeer07

Almost A Member
    Jun 30, 2008
    USA
    Name
    Wade
    Boat
    None
    Encouraging news, still sending prayers for Amy. It can happen so fast tell them you love them every day and mean it.

Upvote 0

namotuman

Afflicted with Boat Envy
    Jun 11, 2007
    south orange county
    Name
    ned
    Boat
    9'8" cooperfish mello yello modelo
    Wheewww! Good to hear/read of her recovery! Nothing worse than worrying about your kid.....

Upvote 0