><((((º>
Sep 15, 2016
La Habra
Name
Mike L
Boat
Yamaha FX HO
Great job to the Ocean Odyssey's Captain and Crew! :appl:

This guy definitely has someone watching over him!

:cheers:

Ocean Odyssey.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    That guy was a goner. Good on the OO for saving that man's life.

Saw this photo on IG and thought... Is this guy wearing jeans and shoes? If yes, struck me as an odd outfit to wear skin diving.

I'm probably wrong and he is wearing fins and a blue camo wetsuit bottom but then again... why would anyone remove the top of their wetsuit in that situation.

Either way... The DH that spotted him and crew of the OO that helped him aboard are heroes.

Screenshot_20210801-063224_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Socali818
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I saw a little more on the news yesterday, he "jumped overboard without his gear" when he saw boilers, I guess. He neglected to tell Dad that he was exiting the boat. So Dad looks back, and does not see his son, and has no idea when he got out of the boat! Dad calls out, (presumably Ch. 16) to report this, and the O. O. hears it, and turns the boat to the numbers. I would guess that the diver recognized his camo suit would not help being spotted, and removes the top half to aid spotting, which worked. The O.O. guy notices the white arms flailing, and the rescue is on. The diver requests a beer once on board. A pathetic example of offshore freediving done the wrong way. INS? (Interfering with natural selection?) A bit harsh, I guess...

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    ... I would guess that the diver recognized his camo suit would not help being spotted, and removes the top half to aid spotting, which worked. The O.O. guy notices the white arms flailing, and the rescue is on....

Aaaaaaah, I see... makes more sense now, except for the whole "stepped our to see bluefin without telling anyone" part. 🤪

My first thought was he should have kept the top half on to buy time to get found alive, but now I see the logic to remove it...and it obviously was the right move.

Surreal how small choices like can be the difference between living or not. He's gonna be telling that story for the rest of his life.

Upvote 0