Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
Over the weekend I had two charters, Saturday I was thresher shark fishing and Sunday I had a family of four that I took out fishing.

Saturday we stared out late, around 8 AM before we left the dock, I had to wait for my charter group. After pick up some sardines from Nacho we headed south only about two miles, it was a 1/2 day chater so we didn't have a lot of time. We trolled the area and saw two sharks jump right in front of us. We had five strikes, but only one of the sharks ate our bait. The fish we landed was a small one around 40 pounds.

photo13.jpg

Sunday again I was on my skiff, this time it was a family of 4, two young kids and 10, their dad and gand dad too. I looked it the sharks for an hour and even saw a few, but the kids wanted to pull on fish so i took them over the to breakwall, I usually never achor at the wall, I usually just drop my trolling motor and fish the whole wall, but with kids so young I couldn't do that. I used light tackle, 12 pounds spinning outfits with live anchoives, no bucktails for the kids. it was non-stop action for over two hours. we most of landed over 40 fish, a mix of sand bass, barracuda, calico's and a few macks mixed in. They were great about releasing all the cailcos and they only kept a handful of sand bass for dinner. The kids had a great time. I had fun working with the kids one on one and teaching them how- to fish, the 8 year old said he was a huge fan and watches my TV show all the time. It was a great charter.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/tvfishing/MartinezPrivateCharter030.jpg

MartinezPrivateCharter019.jpg

MartinezPrivateCharter018.jpg

MartinezPrivateCharter037.jpg

MartinezPrivateCharter030.jpg

Upvote 0

fisherman from

LONG BEACH
Mar 13, 2010
Longo Beach, Cali
Name
johnny
Boat
1975 monark and caddis navigator 2
wtg dan on the teaching of the youngins....was right next to you on the wall..but didnt do as well

Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi TVdan,

Glad to see you making more reports recently .... especially on your PB local trips.

I ain't a Shark person so I've no idea if a 40 pound Thresher is considered a pup or not..... knowing you .... I suspect not. Doesn't matter anyway, as if it's legal.... then it's anglers' discretion.

Nice goin' on gettin' the kids out too !!

Await your next trip,

tsurikichi

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Looks like a great day on the water with the kids! Seriously though, posting the 30 lb thresher pic with a gaff shot in the head (especially on this forum) might damage your legendary status!!!

Start the popcorn...

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Looks like a great day on the water with the kids! Seriously though, posting the 30 lb thresher pic with a gaff shot in the head (especially on this forum) might damage your legendary status!!!

Start the popcorn...

He did say it was a charter.

When you take people out, it's their call what to do with the fish and sometimes you don't have a choice.

I didn't like killing 200+ bass in a day when I was deckhanding but I couldn't just throw them all back despite the passengers' wishes.

Upvote 0

medunn16

Captain blue perch!!!
Apr 1, 2006
Lomita
Name
Chris
Boat
Blackman'46'Boat Ho!!!

Start the popcorn...

He was showing the kids the right thing to do.:shake:

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Thanks for the great fish report................Looks like all had fun....

That's what fishing is about having fun..... even better when you catch some fish...

Upvote 0

teal

Fisherman
Apr 30, 2006
MB
Name
TEAL
Boat
BLACK JACK, MISTRESS
my DHYF shirt just went in the garbage.
seriously.

Upvote 0

jaw1970

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Dan, I've never fished for threshers before but would like to give it a try/ Can you give me some advise? You said you were trolling, how fast do you go? Line? Bait? Hook? Sinker? Depth/Area?
Thanks, John

Upvote 0

Kelpbedhead

Hippie Hater
May 15, 2009
San diego
Name
James
Boat
20' Baja Bayrunner
Nice job Dan!!! Don't mind the hippies. They love to wine and cry. I love your show almost as much as hippie tears..

Upvote 0

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
Nice day of fishing Dan!

Some what is a good size that you pussies like to keep? Post a big one get roasted, post a small one get reamed. I know if I kept a 100lb or larger fish I would be wasting a lot of meat and so would most fishermen I know. I would rather let the juveniles go to reach breeding age and take a small one like this any day. 40lbs of meat will last a whole summer!

"Fish more, comment less"

Upvote 0

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
Nice day of fishing Dan!

Some what is a good size that you pussies like to keep? Post a big one get roasted, post a small one get reamed. I know if I kept a 100lb or larger fish I would be wasting a lot of meat and so would most fisherman I know. I would rather let the juveniles go to reach breeding age and take a small one like this any day. 40lbs of meat will last a whole summer!

"Fish more, comment less"

well said. He also spends more time on the water than 95% of these internet fishermen, and does practice C&R.

Dan also mentioned on his facebook page it was hooked bad and was going to die anyways. Would you haters throw back a dead shark to go hook a bigger one?

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
my DHYF shirt just went in the garbage.
seriously.

Really? if you got one of those shirts from me, you got at an event that I hosted and you and thousands of other kids learned how to fish, at those events all the kids are allowed to take their fish home with them. In my show every week we have a cooking segments so people don't waste their catch and that they eat them and enjoy them. I love to fish and that's why I started my youth foundation so that kids like you could get a chance to try a sport that I enjoy so much. I'm glad that you went to one of my events and I hope I had a little to do with getting you to go fishing, that is the goal of my youth foundation, also just so you know, I'm the only TV host in the country that his his own 501 C 3 non- profit foundation that gives back and teaches kids to fish. if you feel my shirt belongs in the garbage it's your call, but I've had thousands of kids and their parents thank me for hosting our events and for teaching them to fish. None of our lake events cost anything to attend, we make sure the lakes are stocked with fish, we make sure there is free bait, we supply hundreds of free rods and reels for kids to use, we feed everyone after the event and we raffle off at least 20 rods and reels at each event and when we have extra money we give away free t shirts. By the way I don't get paid from my foundation, I do it all for free.....

I wish when I was a kid growing up someone was doing events like this for me, there wasn't, I only got to go fishing because my parents introduced me to fishing, I was one of the lucky kids.

I don't want to sound like I do this all on my own because I don't, I have a great board and lots of people who give of their time so I can pull off these events and I get a lot of help from the CA Dept of Fish and Game Fishing in the City program. In host 5-6 free lake events a year and The Fishing in the City Program does many more that I do. If I had the money I'd do this work full time because I enjoy it so much. Sorry you don't like that free shirt any more.

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
Dan, I've never fished for threshers before but would like to give it a try/ Can you give me some advise? You said you were trolling, how fast do you go? Line? Bait? Hook? Sinker? Depth/Area?
Thanks, John

Here you go, I hope this helps you out

how fast do you go?
as slow as you can, I troll around 2 knots, sometimes even slower

Line?
Main line is either 50 or 80, with 200 pound wire,

Bait?
Live mackerel or sardines, both work fine.

Hook?
6/0-8/0

Sinker /Depth?
I usually troll two lines, one on the surface and another with about 3-4 oz, I like to use sliding sinkers.

Area?
anywhere I can find large schools of bait, sometime you can see the sharks jumping or crashing on the schools of bait.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno

Start the popcorn...

I agree it was a small fish, but it was hooked very deep and it was going to die and my client wanted to keep it, we saw it was going to die and he wanted to keep it to eat it, it's a legal fish. I release a lot of fish, but I don't release all of them.

Upvote 0

kailuaboy89

Uamaukeaukaainaikapono
Aug 2, 2009
Escondido,ca, USA
Name
Jason
Boat
17' CC "Disco Stik" 36' wood trawler "Punahele"
keep up the good work Dan! you run a great program, and show! aloha!

Upvote 0

Buddyb

Capt. Crabapple
Aug 25, 2005
Tustin
Name
Buddy
Boat
14' Evenrude "Polished Turd"
I'm a "Dan Fan". Myself and my two boys learned a ton of knowledge watching your shows every Saturday morning, unless we were out on the water. And we are still watching today. Keep up the good work sir. Class act!

Upvote 0