DrBob89

Almost A Member
Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Wow, what a beautiful day on the water off Long Beach. And the bass were finally biting!

I grabbed a cancellation at Freedom Boat Club and left Huntington Harbor solo at 8am. The ocean was calm, no wind and tiny swell. Not a cloud, you could see from Mt. Baldy to Catalina. Not many other private boats but there sure are a lot of ships at anchor.

Tried Izors first for nothing. Headed to the 105 area (about 4 miles SSE of Angel's Gate). Temp was 57 degrees and current small & downhill. Fish were in 100 feet of water on the bottom. Caught a quick 8, 2 at a time on the double trouble rig using Kman plastics. They were very aggressive. Switched to a 10-lb single-leadhead rig with squashed barb for a bit more sport.

At about 10am I found myself in the middle of a large, active pod of dolphin & school of birds. I stopped fishing for a long while, shut off the motor, smoked a cigar, and just watched the show. Fantastic!

The wind came up at 1pm so I headed in. Ended the morning with 23 bass, half calico half sandies. 20 were on Kman red flake plastic, 3 on a blue/chrome 80g Coltsniper. Nothing huge, maybe 2lb max, but fun on the lighter tackle. Would have been more if I stuck with the double rig.

We are so lucky to have this resource in our backyard, and such beautiful weather on a February day when most of the country is freezing.

20210219_110614.jpg

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Nice! Another bud had similar action today as well. We are hoping to go Sunday.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I have news for you, there was yellowtail under the dolphin and bird school. :-) 8-)

Upvote 0

DrBob89

Almost A Member
Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
It is a Concept 13 Origin TZ. About 4 years old, bought it at Fred Hall when it was introduced. It is my go-to light saltwater reel, now with 10lb mono. No problems so far.

Upvote 0

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Wow, what a beautiful day on the water off Long Beach. And the bass were finally biting!

I grabbed a cancellation at Freedom Boat Club and left Huntington Harbor solo at 8am. The ocean was calm, no wind and tiny swell. Not a cloud, you could see from Mt. Baldy to Catalina. Not many other private boats but there sure are a lot of ships at anchor.

Tried Izors first for nothing. Headed to the 105 area (about 4 miles SSE of Angel's Gate). Temp was 57 degrees and current small & downhill. Fish were in 100 feet of water on the bottom. Caught a quick 8, 2 at a time on the double trouble rig using Kman plastics. They were very aggressive. Switched to a 10-lb single-leadhead rig with squashed barb for a bit more sport.

At about 10am I found myself in the middle of a large, active pod of dolphin & school of birds. I stopped fishing for a long while, shut off the motor, smoked a cigar, and just watched the show. Fantastic!

The wind came up at 1pm so I headed in. Ended the morning with 23 bass, half calico half sandies. 20 were on Kman red flake plastic, 3 on a blue/chrome 80g Coltsniper. Nothing huge, maybe 2lb max, but fun on the lighter tackle. Would have been more if I stuck with the double rig.

We are so lucky to have this resource in our backyard, and such beautiful weather on a February day when most of the country is freezing.

View attachment 1255662.

How was the kelp area looking on your radar/finder? Been hearing this reef is depleting rapidly. Back in the day the horseshoe produced jumbo yellows every summer. Not sure if it does anymore. Thanks!

Upvote 0