doncatfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Short version - Had my limit of quality yellows by 10:30, 58 yellows for 34 anglers in total. Nice quality reds, large Bonita and a few ling cod filled out the rest of the sacks for all on calm seas.

Longer version - we got to the high spot at Punta Colonet at 7:00 am in chilly, calm conditions. Several boats were already there. Gavin did his usual great job of looking around until he metered a nice school of yellowtail worthy of stopping the boat for. I dropped a blue/white heavy Salas 7X, let it drop to the bottom, cranked the handle 3 times and was on, as were half the folks on board. Love it when the first cast of the day is an instant hook up.

Somehow I managed to stay out of tangles and brought a fat 21 lb yellow to gaff. Not everyone was so fortunate as there were a number of casualties in the mayhem. By 10:30 I had my limit of yellows on board, as we’d repeat the search, stop, land a few and search some more routine. Color didn’t seem to matter - my second one was on a red Salas 6x, third and fourth was on a long green/gold/white knife jig, and the fifth was on a sardine hooked to a Carolina rig with 4 ounce sliding sinker. What worked was dropping to the bottom with a large heavy yo yo, cranking like the hammers of hell straight up 30 - 40 cranks, dropping back down if not hooked up, repeat.

Around 11 am the yellows were still around but off the chew, so we switched to targeting rockfish. There were some nice quality reds caught, I got my largest one on an indestructible octopus I had caught over a year ago at Salt Creek that I kept in my freezer. I caught 2 nice reds and a fat bank perch on that one pummeled bait.

We tried for yellows a couple more times in the afternoon, the boat only managed 2 more. Lots of big bonito around, crashing bait and jumping on jigs in the top 1/4 of the water column.

Was super cool catching yellows on such a flat calm sunny day, with the snow capped hills of the Mexican coastline off in the distance. After having my last two trips this year cancel due to weather, was nice to finally get the timing right.

Kudos to the crew of the Pac Queen once again - those guys are always on top of their game. Heather and Mike did a great job in the gallery, the deck crew was on top of tangles and nailed every gaff shot, and Gavin the captain is one fishy dude. Love fishing on that boat with that crew - another great trip!

cold.jpg red salas.jpg yellow on knife.jpg first yellow on knife .jpg red on octopus.jpg heather.jpg red on jig.jpg tribute and snow.jpg

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
EAT WELL MY FRIEND!

Great report.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Thanks for the post!

GOFAST88

WORKHARD-FISHHARD
Sep 8, 2012
Murrieta
Name
Tyler
Boat
18' Bayrunner
Thanks for the report!! Well done! Ive recently converted some colt snipers to jigging style, with the assist hooks from the top... Extremely good success on the deep structure bass. How were you working the knife jig? Speed jig N wind or straight retrieve?

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Thanks for the report!! Well done! Ive recently converted some colt snipers to jigging style, with the assist hooks from the top... Extremely good success on the deep structure bass. How were you working the knife jig? Speed jig N wind or straight retrieve?
I’ve never used a knife jig before so I went on you tube and learned. Who says an old dog can’t learn new tricks? I think the herky jerky nature of the jig n wind is what made the difference. I didn’t try a straight retrieve as the rocks claimed the jig after quickly landing 2 yellows and a red on it. Got to get some more of those.

PATYMELTER1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2014
PLEASANTON, CA.
Name
PATRICK
Boat
SECOND CHANCE
Great report Don..... NICE YT for this time of year! Miss fishing with you buddy. Let’s do a Phenix PV trip in 2020!

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Don,
Great report. I’m going on the 3/8 and geared for the heavy yo yo and rock fish. Is it worth the effort bringing the surface iron rod? I fish to the end and have fun with the bones.
Glenn and thanks!

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Don,
Great report. I’m going on the 3/8 and geared for the heavy yo yo and rock fish. Is it worth the effort bringing the surface iron rod? I fish to the end and have fun with the bones.
Glenn and thanks!
I would definitely bring the surface iron in March. I threw it a few times on this trip to have fun on the Bonita, but have had epic times in March on the surface iron at Colonet on yellows. They came up and boiled on the surface at one spot this trip, water temp was only 59, but in a couple of weeks they’ll be higher in the water column. Good luck!

Reactions: Ctony.clark

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Looks fun. Instead of hitting Colonet... I will humbly say I got a giant Spottie all of a pound and a half, maybe even two out of SD Bay yesterday on a warbaits jig/mc slug and I got to do it in front of snow capped mountains too!

305EA84F-03F2-4EEA-AD2B-942FD8E92D0B.jpeg

mrhoneydo

Dec 4, 2011
Tahoe City, Ca
Name
michael willson
Boat
Sea Ray 18" & Grady White 28 Marlin
I was wondering if anybody was out fishing !!!!!