Great Christmas Weekend on the Water

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Nemo, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Newbie

Name:
    Eric m. Folsom
    Boat:
    Nemo
    Started the weekend off picking up the boat from the shop..had some fuel regulation issues for the last few months..thank god that's over with. At any rate me and my first mate Wesley (da fish slaya) took the boat out for a test drive on Saturday. Came out of the harbor with lines out..headed to R spun around the can a few times and headed straight to the 1000...found a few gas bird piles. Got 4 knock downs on the 5 inch nothing stuck. Headed back inside the 1000 and found another gas bird pile had a couple of aku birds mixed. Worked it for 20 min. Saw the corner go taunt then finally snap..line was creeping out slowly so I was thinking small aku so we kept going for about 30 seconds. Nothing else hit so we cleared the lines so Wes could reel in his AKU. I put the fish in the samsom fighting station and slowed to 2-3 knots so Wes could haul him in. Wes started cranking away and I was watching the bird pile trying to keep the boat in the vicinity of the pile. After about 5 minutes wes said..."Daddy I can't do it" I looked back and he was reeling away, and gaining no line. I went back and adjusted the drag and then it started screaming out...so I said "ummm, this is a good fish Wes"..I am still thinking big aku or nice shibi. I hand lined a little to get some traction for Wes but I did not want to take too much away from the fight so I fed line when the reel stopped..we caught back 100-150 yards in about 10 minutes..slow and steady. We got the fish about 30-40 ft from the boat and Wesley said he could not reel anymore so I told him I would help him get the fish..still had not seen the fish. I took over for a few minutes and finally saw a tail come up..I was thinking BIG mahi so I grabbed the long gaff and the line and started pulling it within range. I got the fish close to the boat and I was thinking "What is it" and that is when I saw a small bill. I stuck it with the gaff and put it on the deck... You should have seen the expression on Wesley’s face when he saw the fish hit the deck...He looked at me and yelled...Dad, I caught a Marlin whohoo!! Trolled around a little more but decided to head to the house and show mom Wesley’s Marlin <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 29.25pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\Eric.Folsom\AppData\Local\Temp\2\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Wesley.JPG <o:p></o:p>
    Sunday. Went out with 3 friends from work on Sunday. It was great weather. Headed out the same route as Saturday..Saw some spinner dolphins on R buoy so we worked the buoy for a while but nothing came up. Headed to place we hooked up Saturday and it was a desert. Looked like everyone was headed to the point, so we worked the 1000 toward the point. I started noticing birds coming from the point headed the opposite direction and they kept at it for a while, my intuition got the better of me so I spun around and started trolling directly into the sun. We trolled for a while and finally caught up to a gas bird pile...nothing but the remains of an "ono plate lunch" there... With S buoy gone I was down to running a few of my hot spots. I got to the first spot and as can be expected it was a desert...not looking good, so I headed over to my second stop and saw Boom Boom (Pretty sure...I could see two words that looked like Boom Boom) headed back in. And then the Center went off..RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..you get the point. The guys started clearing lines and I heard holy Beep, it is a huge marlin.. Just as the last reel came in I was sitting on 1/4 spool on my 80 (with full drag engaged..when I saw the drag position, I walked back and pulled the drag back and had to walk the fish to get back to 1/2. I turned slightly abeam and rear quarter of the seas. The fish was beginning to come closer to the boat. A few more minutes and the fish turned and started running parallel to the boat so I whipped around and ran away from the fish to get the line straight. They fought the fish for about 30 minutes collecting line as best they could. The crew switched off once and kept going. Finally the other two crew members were tired and I told Jason to go ahead and hand line him close so we could hopefully hit him with the bang stick. We were catching up line but slowly and I felt that if I could just get him in range I could hit it fast..Someone once told me that I should try fighting the fish down seas if I needed to catch some line up..so I turned down sea gradually...was working fine for a few minutes, but the swells had gotten a little bigger than they were before causing me to stall a little too long in the tough. Needless to say the Captain (Me) lost the fish lol. Oh well not the first time, or the last time I get schooled by a big blue. We found a floating bucket with some bait under it a little later, had a knockdown on the rigger but nothing after 20 minutes. It’s always the big one that gets away lol.<o:p></o:p>
    Tuesday...Opened Santa’s gifts around 5am by 7 Wes and I were headed to meet Justin...the weather was looking nasty but no wind so I thought we would run the Ono ledge. As cloud lines came in, the wind would pick up a little and the waves would get a little worse the slack down a bit. No luck on the ONO ledge so we headed to the 500..Saw an Iwa up so we headed to him..About the time we got under the Iwa some dolphins breached... 4 mahi birds converged above us and I had no ahi lures out...ARRR. Quickly switch the center out but by then the dolphins and IWA bird were gone...right out rigger goes off.... saw it was a mahi so we kept going..nothing else after 2 minutes so Wes reeled the mahi in and I swung it into the boat. The mahi birds stopped diving and headed straight out...so we followed for about 2 miles and another pile formed up with aku birds.. outrigger goes off again...we towed this fish around for a while and finally pulled it in and it was a nice aku lol...though it was a mahi. Pulled through with downsized lures no action. Headed out to a buoy and the only thing around were very large Swells and 7ft wind waves. Headed back to the ono ledge and ran it for a while. Went to my BF spot and dropped some ika and Wes pulled in 4 Black Tailed snapper..forgot the Hawaiian word for them. With blood on the deck for the second day I decided to leave them biting.<o:p></o:p>

Wes Mahi and Aku.jpg
    Great Christmas weekend!!! Plenty of fish to eat ;)

Will be out and about for the New Years break...hopefully Ill boat another toad this season.

2. Nemo

Nemo Newbie

Name:
    Eric m. Folsom
    Boat:
    Nemo
    Wow I am straining to read the post...not sure why it renderd that way... did not look like that in the preview. Sorry about that.

3. secure303

secure303 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    The Hobie
    Nice catch Eric, looks like a great time with your son and friends!

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Eric and the crew,
    From the looks of it you got to spend 3 days on the water, w/ plenty of action, good on ya!!! Sorry about the lost donkey but those buggas can be tough... Spearfish and mahi are some great grinds; enjoy...

Cheers
    Pat

5. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    No doubt that Wes is a fish slayer. Sounds like a fun weekend.

Jonny