cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Started our Father's Day a little unsettled because the trailer lights were giving us problems. We got them to mostly work and off we went and launched by 8am. We got our beautiful bait and point the boat towards the Whistler Buoy. Sport boats are there and chumming pretty steady. Kept our eye on them and they never got the fish to go. We threw iron and bait. Caught a couple barracuda and a decent sized calico. Once high tide rolled by we decided to go back to the bay. Started fishing at ballast point and I get into a halibut that's bigger than the net. I got it to the net twice and my net guy just wasn't up to the task. Fish makes a third run and it pops off. Son of a bitch! I swear I had chest pains for ten minutes after that one!

Trying to kill the memory of a lost halibut we start catching spotties and sandies and corvina. The bay bit like crazy. There were anchovies mixed in with the sardines and got bit instantly. It was a fish a cast for two hours.

IMG_20190616_143817826.jpg IMG_20190616_140227797.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    If you got the halibut to leader call it a caught fish. Sounds like a good trip overall with anchovies in the bait tank, great ammo for bass. Hope Mission Bay has some today thanks for the report.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Fish bigger than the net? Unless you're using a fish tank net . . .
    If there's a next time . . . get a gaff, and that won't happen again.

Reactions: muletrain and LEC
    Upvote 0