fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
Hey guys, my dad brother and I just got back today from a 5 day trip on the Vagabond. We fished cedros island and did great on the yellow tail. Here is how the trip went. First we stop to get bait of course. I grab my 15 pound test setup and start to cast a swim bait and drag it along the bottom. After about 20 minutes I am awarded with a nice 8 pound halibut that was made into fish tacos for lunch on a later day. We head out and start to troll the next day, and troll, and troll, and you get the point. One jig strike late in the day for some bones to keep things interesting. We found a really nice kelp patty and hooked three yellows and only one was landed. My dad and i both got kelped by em. Next day we awake to see Cedros island. We started the day off hitting up the bird schools and puddling fish for a few fish here and there. Just a steady pick bite. I lost my first one due to my line breaking. But as the day went on it got good. I had my limit of fish before we stopped fishing. I got 2 fish using 30 pound fly lining sardines and all the rest using salas 6x juniors. Mel from Graphite USA was on the trip with us and gave us all some hats, line and hooks and also had a whole lot of nice rods paired with acurates and avets so when he told my that what ever i wanted to use i was welcome too i started to druel and grabbed a jx 2 speed with 40 pound mono on a really nice 50-80 pound test rated Graphite USA rod and got 13 yellows on that setup the first day. my biggest being 32.4 pounds. The next day we are still at the island so i try out his small accurate with 25 pound test on it and had a blast catching the yellows with that. So after i got a few yellows on that setup(that were all given away to other people) i switch to his calcutta 700 with 25 pound test and a popper tied to it. So i take that out and the second cast i get a backlash. i finally get it out and start to work it in and am looking for the popper and i see a huge boil and line starts to peel off my reel. I got that yellow and 2 more on the popper. It is great fun to watch the yellows explode on the popper. Then that night we start to head back to San Diego. We troll for most of the day and Mike tells us to get baits ready. He stops the boat and we put our baits back we come up with a few blue fin!!! all nice 30 pounders. The next stop i boated a nice 25 pound yellow fin. I ended up with 6 tuna. 2 nice yellow fin about 20 to 25 pounds. one 10 pound blue fin and three football albies. I ended up with the most tuna on the boat and to be the first person to limit out with yellows and i may have caught the most fish on the boat so it was a great trip for me and i finally beat the old man. We get back to the dock and weigh the fish and i tie for second place with my 32.4 pounder. biggest being a 33 pounder. My dad brother and i had one of our best trips ever. Fishing was fantastic, weather was beautiful, and we had a great crew and company along with us on the boat. Thanks to Mike for putting us on the fish as always, thanks to Dan for cooking us great meals and snacks. And a big thanks to the crew of Dave, Tim, Paul, Ryan, and the second captain Gordan for making the trip very enjoyable and helping out with everything. I would also like to thank mel for letting me use all of his rods and for all the free hooks and gear he gave away.

Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Idyllwild, CA USA
www.bluepacifictackle.com
Name
John
Boat Name
not mine
You survived fishin with Darrell. I fish with mike and crew often, it's my favorite boat and crew. Sorry I missed it. I 'm on a 5 in Nov. --maybe a 3 or 4 in sept. I have a 2 day on the the Voyager with 3 spots open July 20th --22nd $570 includes meals/permits/fuel charge total of 10 on boat. Once again nice trip

Upvote 0

kahuna bass

Sep 24, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Mel
Boat Name
Vagabond & Excel
You survived fishin with Darrell. I fish with mike and crew often, it's my favorite boat and crew. Sorry I missed it. I 'm on a 5 in Nov. --maybe a 3 or 4 in sept. I have a 2 day on the the Voyager with 3 spots open July 20th --22nd $570 includes meals/permits/fuel charge total of 10 on boat. Once again nice trip

Greetings Matt and all,

It was an excellent trip. Fishing and making new friends is always a plus. And yes, we all survived with Darrell!!!!

Matt, you are the fishing machine!! Had a great time with you and your family. Glad to see you had fun with all the gear. It only get's better. Fishing with the iron is always fun:jig:

Mike and crew are top notch. Outstanding boat, with great customer service. Always willing to help, good laughs, excellent food!!!! Can't wait for the 8 day'er in late September. Mike always finds the wahooooooo.

Bass regards,
Mel "Kahuna bass"

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
Greetings Matt and all,

It was an excellent trip. Fishing and making new friends is always a plus. And yes, we all survived with Darrell!!!!

Matt, you are the fishing machine!! Had a great time with you and your family. Glad to see you had fun with all the gear. It only get's better. Fishing with the iron is always fun:jig:

Mike and crew are top notch. Outstanding boat, with great customer service. Always willing to help, good laughs, excellent food!!!! Can't wait for the 8 day'er in late September. Mike always finds the wahooooooo.

Bass regards,
Mel "Kahuna bass"
Mel good to see you on bloodydecks. Yes we did survive darrel. haha
and thanks once again for letting me use your gear. it was sweet.

Upvote 0