greases and oils - an update (9/14/2010)

alantani

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
greases and oils - an update (9/14/2010)

I just want to find out which reel grease & oil do you prefer best. I usually drop off my reels to a tackle store to get it cleaned and lubricated, but it's quite too much in this economy. There's alot of brands out there and I want to see what you can help me on, anything positive or negative, feel free to say. Some brand I saw include:

Abu Garcia Silicote
Quantum Hot Sauce
Ardent Reel Butter
Daiwa Reel Grease & Oil
Penn Synthetic
grease is easy. shimano drag grease still works very well at $50 per pound. cal's drag grease is every bit as good, probably even better, and is half the price at $25 per pound. for general purpose grease, i still prefer the $5 a pound yamaha marine all purpose grease. the omc stuff is too tacky for my liking. penn makes a great product, daiwa's blue grease works great, they all work great. for coating the inside of a reel, i use a ratty old tooth brush that is mostly yamaha marine grease, but it has residue of maybe 20 other greases mixed in. it's no big deal. you just need a light coat of something, anything, to prevent corrosion on the inside of a reel.

for a general purpose oil, i use corrosion x. i have no idea what's in it. the company won't tell, but it's cheap enough and has worked well enough over the last 10 years that i feel very comfortable recommending it even though i don't know what it's made out of. you're looking at $17 for a big pump bottle or spray can that will last me a couple of months, but will last the average fisherman a lifetime. compared to some other lubes, corrosion x has the viscosity of pancake syrup, but i think that it is the single best all purpose product out there. and it's cheap!

then there are the performance lubes that cost $5-10 for a single one ounce bottle. ok, if it's going to cost as much as a single malt scotch, i want to know what's in it before i recommend it. products like quantum's hot sauce, metaloil, reel-x, and all the house brands from penn, daiwa, and shimano, all fall into this category. these products are all much faster than corrosion x, they are much more expensive than corrosion x, and the formulations are all secret. it's fine to have secrets, but until these products are all objectively (there's that word again) evaluated, it would be tough for anyone to make an objective recommendation.

now for xtreme reel +. i used it for over a year and stopped. it is, without a doubt, the fastest stuff out there. it is a teflon polymer lubricant suspended in a freon carrier. the freon evaporates in microseconds and leaves a thin dry film of teflon. the freespool from a reel properly cleaned and then lubed with xtreme reel + is mind blowing! but it only lasts a few weeks. after that point, the freespool is the same as corrosion x, meaning mediocre. still, if you are a tournament guy or a long ranger and you service your reels before every trip, try xtreme reel + and prepare to be amazed. it will absolutely, positively, deliver the fastest longest freespool of any product on the market today.

and finally, there is tsi 301. jim nomura has been working with me for the last half a year. he is an engineer and brought a level of engineering expertise that was sorely missing in this little hobby endeavor of mine. one thing he brought in was tsi 301. i'm guessing that the freespool from reel treated with tsi 301 is perhaps 80% that of a reel treated with xtreme reel +. the big advantage of tsi 301 is that it lasts much longer. i believe that we are looking at 6 to 12 months of great freespool for tsi 301 versus 1-2 weeks for xtreme reel +. this puts the performance on a par with the other superlubes mentioned above, but at a half to a quarter of the price of the superlubes. i've been using it for the last 6 months now (as of 9/2010) and have been very, very, impressed. the downside? it's $20 plus shipping, it is only available on line, and shipping is slow as molassas.

so right now it's yamaha marine all purpose blue grease for all the non-exposed metal surfaces, cal's drag grease for carbon fiber drag washer, corrosion x for a general purpose low speed oil (bearings, levelwinds, handles), and tsi 301 for high speed bearings and levelwinds. for your application, you could grab any of the superlubes online or at any shop and do just fine!

NESSIE HUNTER

Registered fish offender
Jul 17, 2005
Hesperia, Ca
Name
Frank
Boat
rubber duckie
Thats some great information Alan, Thanks !!! !

I was convinced enough to order 8 Oz of the tsi 301 after reading this the other day.
Been using the Oust Speed oil in spool bearings..

$20 for 8 oz + 9.60 shipping = $29.90 for 8 oz..
That comes to $3.75 per Oz..
About 1/2 of what I have been paying for the Oust.

Looking forward to using it...

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
it will take 2 weeks to arrive.

NESSIE HUNTER

Registered fish offender
Jul 17, 2005
Hesperia, Ca
Name
Frank
Boat
rubber duckie
Sorry Alan, I dont check down here very often.

Your right it took about 10 days....
Stuff is pretty thin, put some in a small container and about 50/75% evaporated and left a small dab of light oil...
Seems its a penetrant/cleaner (which evaporates) with some oil in it also to lubricate...

I have been swamped with upgrades to Ceramic Bearings lately.
Kind of scary, it seems so thin.... Time will tell I guess....
Works excellent as a cleaner and frees up bearings very well.

I sure am going through it fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Put some in an old Oust bottle (1/2 oz) with the metal syringe type applicator, had to squeeze the Oust out, this flows out very fast with no pressure.
I have to pay attention (hard for me, lol) or I run the bottle empty in about 2 seconds!!

Wintek

Sep 28, 2007
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Peter
Boat
N/A
Alan

Thank you! Real world experience counts a whole lot more than marketing in my mind. Teflon is the slickest stuff available (at least that I know of), but it makes for a lousy wear surface. So the high performance and short life of the xtreme reel + makes sense to me.
TSI 301's website advertises Coefficient of Friction 100 psi - .0817 (Steel on Steel) That's pretty good, but your real world free spool results (without oil, which create fluidic drag in bearings) mean a lot more. I'll have to look into getting some of this stuff.

Appreciate the information,

Peter

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
you can thank jim nomura for this one. he was the one that brought in the tsi 301 and 321. it's no where near as fast as xtreme reel +, but it last much longer. alan

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
i've also been playing around with samples of inox. looks like great stuff as well. alan

BillP

Feb 8, 2010
Lake Havasu City
Name
Bill
Boat
nons
Alan, have you tried Speed-X from the CX people? It has a lower coefficient of friction than CX. The COF of CX is .14, the COF of Speed-X is .04.

Yeah it's pricey, but as they say in the racing biz, speed is just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
you know, i haven't. reel x supposedly has an ingredient that increases the speed and the price. speed x is supposed to have more of this secret ingredient. you know, i hate secrets.............

BillP

Feb 8, 2010
Lake Havasu City
Name
Bill
Boat
nons
Actually, Reel-X is just CX in a dropper bottle, it's a convenient point of sale display.

I was a CX distributor for 4 years.

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
i spoke to a nice lady at the corrosion x factory and she told me that reel x has a secret ingredient and that speed x has more of that secret ingredient, hence the increased price.

as your pharmacist, i would not recommend that you take a pill unless i knew what was in it. as your reel tech, i would be loathe to recommended a product unless i had similar knowledge or a long track record of working with said product. it's what we call "standard of care."

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Anza, CA USA
www.grip-n-hook.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
Alan,
Thanks for checking out our Inox products. Inox was first developed for the corrosive elements of the salt mines in Australia. Our prodcts contain no petro-chemicals and are non-toxic. Five of our best selling products actually have a food grade Kosher certification. The mx3 you have is not only a excellent lubricant but I also use it as a anti-moisture, anti-corrosion spray for my fishing gear and firearms (it is one of our products that is Kosher certified). Inox is also non-conductive (in the pump or needle bottle applicators) making it great for protecting electronics from corrosion. If it is used for this application in the aerosol form you must wait for the propellant to dissipate before powering up as the propellant is conductive.

John