Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
You started this in 2015.
After this. Do you see a seasonal trend? Or bait patterns? That would keep them that close to the shore? Or is it pupping season?
Yes. The trend is probably threefold: more stingrays (maybe due to warmer water?), greater numbers of harbr seals and of course a spike in GW's patrolling our beaches. Bait density seems about the same, more or less.

Just two days ago several of us including my son spotted at least four different finning, circling sharks while surfing at Doheny. The animals were at least 100 yards away. One had a noticeably larger dorsal fin & tail than the rest. There was a dark oval blob that they were bumping & splashing (I would guess picking it apart) as it drifted (or was pushed) away from us and South toward Poche/Killer Dana. A SUP'er said that the blob was a floating harbor seal carcass and several sharks were snacking on it.

Reactions: sealskinner

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
They've been cruising through Sano and Trails lineups since they buried the whale in front of the power plant years ago, but the last month or so the frequency has skyrocketed. I don't even surf Sano all that much and I'd see one usually 2x a year.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
They've been cruising through Sano and Trails lineups since they buried the whale in front of the power plant years ago, but the last month or so the frequency has skyrocketed. I don't even surf Sano all that much and I'd see one usually 2x a year.
Hopefully the nuclear waste that Edison is dumping at SanO will drive them out. Either that or maybe it will just create a Godzilla-esque freak of a GW's

Reactions: marlyn

Latest posts