Grant’s Ultimate Fishing Challenge

Dexter Outdoors
Oct 31, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Michael Hieshima
Boat
Maru Maru
A group of skilled fisherman are about to depart on an 18Day trip on the RP named Grant’s Ultimate Fishing Challenge. This was the former Nakaki/Sooge trip, then Nakaki and now handed to John Yamate and me. For those wondering, Grant is my dad and he passed away in 2019. Frank graciously asked me to honor him in the naming of the Charter.

He loved catching big fish, but more so he loved the experience. He loved 98% of the people (except for the occasional “That Guy”) and people enjoyed him. During the memorial, I was amazed to see so many long range friends in attendance. It truly made me feel proud and fortunate to be a part of this culture. For those that don’t know, he passed while on a double hook up of bluefin at Clemente, very poetic!

Thank you to past, present and future fishing friends. I’m very excited to fish with you and grateful to those that make the experience so amazing!

Our 2020 trip was cancelled due to COVID and it reminded me how fortunate we are to be able to do this. Next time you jump on a boat, appreciate how lucky we are to be fishermen and how special the experience truly is... and don’t be That Guy!

Cant Wait!
Mike

fsh4calico

Paralabrax clathratus
Oct 31, 2004
Torrance, Ca
Name
Pete
Boat
Long Range, Float Tube
A group of skilled fisherman are about to depart on an 18Day trip on the RP named Grant’s Ultimate Fishing Challenge. This was the former Nakaki/Sooge trip, then Nakaki and now handed to John Yamate and me. For those wondering, Grant is my dad and he passed away in 2019. Frank graciously asked me to honor him in the naming of the Charter.

He loved catching big fish, but more so he loved the experience. He loved 98% of the people (except for the occasional “That Guy”) and people enjoyed him. During the memorial, I was amazed to see so many long range friends in attendance. It truly made me feel proud and fortunate to be a part of this culture. For those that don’t know, he passed while on a double hook up of bluefin at Clemente, very poetic!

Thank you to past, present and future fishing friends. I’m very excited to fish with you and grateful to those that make the experience so amazing!

Our 2020 trip was cancelled due to COVID and it reminded me how fortunate we are to be able to do this. Next time you jump on a boat, appreciate how lucky we are to be fishermen and how special the experience truly is... and don’t be That Guy!

Cant Wait!
Mike
Mike,

Looking forward to meeting you. I was fortunate enough to get the last spot on this trip. Very excited and can't wait.

Pete

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Mike, wonderful you’re able to honor your father’s memory, his legacy, this way. A few of us are especially interested in following your trip as we’re right behind you. Plotting timelines, I see you’ll be leaving the lower zone as we arrive. Our 16 day trip on the Independence departs 4/14, probably arriving to the Bank on the 18th.

Best luck, catch a few, leave some for us. ;)

Reactions: CV-Wayne

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I wonder if little Frank will make an appearance.

Big and Little Frank.jpg

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Have a great trip and great job remembering/honoring your Dad. I'd give up a lot to be able to spend a day fishing with mine again

Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris

Cant Wait!
    Mike
    Hey Mike,

What a great way to keep your dad's legacy alive! Simply awesome. Good luck, be safe and have tons of fun like always!!!

Cheers-
    Doug

Last edited:
    Reactions: DesotoBound

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express

Right where they left off...limits of Wahoo

Royal Polaris Sportfishing

Hello
    👋
    everyone; We arrived in the early morning hours, just in time to catch flying fish. We caught what we needed. We dropped our anchor and stated fishing for tuna. Well we didn’t land anything of size. So once the sun came, it was time to troll for Wahoo. The Yellowfin didn’t make a showing, but the Wahoo made up for that. We almost ended up with daily limits. Most of the Wahoo were in the 30 to 45 pound range. Eric Thinido was the lucky angler today with a 50 pound Wahoo, which won him a brand new Cal-Star rod. Not much more to report on, but we will keep you posted on our daily events. Team R/p
    “BeNt RoDs 4 LiFe”
    🎣

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen

Right where they left off...limits of Wahoo​

Royal Polaris Sportfishing

Hello
    👋
    everyone; We arrived in the early morning hours, just in time to catch flying fish. We caught what we needed. We dropped our anchor and stated fishing for tuna. Well we didn’t land anything of size. So once the sun came, it was time to troll for Wahoo. The Yellowfin didn’t make a showing, but the Wahoo made up for that. We almost ended up with daily limits. Most of the Wahoo were in the 30 to 45 pound range. Eric Thinido was the lucky angler today with a 50 pound Wahoo, which won him a brand new Cal-Star rod. Not much more to report on, but we will keep you posted on our daily events. Team R/p
    “BeNt RoDs 4 LiFe”
    🎣
    Damn! I want to catch wahoo in April! One day....

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Followed that up with a “slow day“ catching a handful of Wahoo and only one Yellowfin Tuna. A Super at 308!

Reactions: Tom123
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    And followed that up with this:

What a day we had. The big boys showed up, and the tax man let us fish. Big fish honors goes out to Rick Allen, with a giant Yellowfin tuna, that topped the scale at 398 pounds. Just a beautiful fish. Rick was using a puffer fish, that one of the Yellowfin had just been flushed out. This is Rick’s second 300 pounder for the trip. We also had 3 other fish over 200 pounds. Tom Newman, with a 254, Stan Know, with a 234, and Pete Wright, with a 234 pound Yellowfin tuna. We also had another 10-15 fish in the 120 to 175 pound range. Wahoo fishing today picked up a little. We made another tank of flying fish, and we are down for the night. So that’s our report for today. Until tomorrow, good luck and good fishing. Team R/p
    “BeNt RoDs 4 LiFe”
    🎣

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Regurgitated Puffer = 400# Tuna, go figure
    Yeah. June Heat 2018. Bob Michener pinned on the only squid we had in the hand well. It was pretty beat up, bleached out white and extremely dead. We all saw it, we all looked at it and wondered... Current was ripping, flyline didn’t work, so he put on 3 or 4 oz. of lead, dropped it in again and BAM! 290 lb Cow! Oh yeah and trolling in towards Hurricane Bank, he was dragging a DTX 200, caught a Cow. Crazy.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Many factors probably went into that already consumed puffer bite or not

But a tunafishes #1 goal is to eat the bait before its buddy or steal it from its buddy. No sympathy, no compassion, no charity, no handouts. Truly survivors of the fittest.

Bait was already scented with another tunafisheses drool, triggering the steal knee jerk reaction bite? Or the bait was already proven to get bit and that's what a big great cow was hungry for at that moment? Dumb luck? All sounds good to me when tied together

Congrats all involved. Those big fish lay off the bank. Then come on every few days to feed until its over. Imo

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Humans think puke is gross. Fish like it

Laced with stomach acid or whatever

Always send down the coughed up Octopus for a ling. When in lingolandia. As sure as it gets. Stomach acid washed out. Easier to digest with less energy. With full protein content remaining :D

• Haha
    Reactions: Montaukmaniac
    Upvote 0