Grant’s UFC on the RP

Dexter Outdoors
Oct 31, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Michael Hieshima
Boat
Maru Maru
The following is a brief summary of our amazing adventure on the Royal Polaris in April.

Opening Scene:
We left the dock filled with the great anticipation of the adventure to come. It started with a swag giveaway. Thanks to Seaforth’s John Yamate, our former charter master Bill Nakaki, Owner hooks, Treebones and Rick Allan, we had shirts, hooks, hats, Yamate bombs, yeti coolers & cups and a couple rods. We then had our group photo followed by a first timers photo that included our traditional aquatic introduction. A good start!

Act I:
After a quick stop at the rocks for yellowtail, our Rookie of the year candidate Eric L “Mr Clean” caught the first fish of the trip and won a United Composite for his effort. The next stop we had excellent wahoo fishing (100+) with fellow rookie Eric T “The Hand Model” caching the largest wahoo of the day earning a Calstar rod! Damn Rookie roommates!

Tuna fishing was disappointing with the largest fish in the 30lb range. Fear not as Captain Roy did that tuna whisperer thing, talking to the birds & bait, smelling the salt air and brutally torturing the tuna that came aboard to tell him the location of the herd. What resulted was a 308lb personal best for Rick Allan.

For those of you that don’t know Rick, I call him the Hulk because when not hooked on a tuna, he is a soft spoken nutty professor luxury home contractor from Cambria. When hooked to a super cow his clothes rip off (thank goodness he wears underwear!) and he becomes a beast a drags in tuna with ease.

Act II:
Roy dialed it in even more and we had Volkswagens dropping on kite baits. Several fish were Big, really Big! Several cows were landed, but one in particular slightly stood out...

I approached the mild mannered form of the Hulk and saw he was sending out a puffer. He told me had had just seen a big one to which I asked Big or Rick Big? He smiled and said Rick Big then adjusted his glasses, fixed his hair and readied himself for the clothes ripping transformation. I hooked a nice fish as the kite was going full speed. During that time, Rick hooked a fish that took him for a ride. I passed him a few times as our fish passed each other. I proudly landed my first baitfish of the trip as I hear Oh My God! Look at that thing! It’s huge!

They weren’t talking about Rick, they were talking about his fish. I’ve seen many 3 gaff fish, several 4 gaff fish, but never a gate dropping 5 gaffer. When it came over the rail, it didn’t look real! It made my fish look like bait and Tahiti Pete’s 230lber look like a 150! When finally hung, it was almost too long to lift off the ground, but when it finally did so, the weight was an incredible 397lbs! Holy #%^*!!! It was the largest ever caught in the RP!

Act III:
Many more wahoo and a few more mini cows, followed by a great night of yellowtail fishing at the rocks.

Somewhere in between we had our Big Fat RP Wedding where Roy dressed in a bridal gown and the crew wore red bridesmaid dresses. Chris really took his outfit seriously! It’s amazing to see a bride and bridesmaids having a water balloon fight vs passengers. My sides hurt from laughing!

We left for bluefin grounds and got a couple flatfall fish followed by a full day of chasing breezers for a single fish

Again, fear not, Captain Roy talked again to birds, bait and then did a cavity search on the solo bluefin to formulate a plan. It started with a few smaller fish then jumped to a pair of 200lbers. One caught by Rey “The Nicest Guy” and Jeffy “Can’t Stop Talkin” Shapiro.

What happened next was truly amazing. We started to find biting fish and by the time the sun rose, we had 55 fish, most over 100, half of those 120-180 and the final four 180-232! Holy #%^*, again! Simply an amazing night of fishing that was highlighted by Greg “The Cow Killer” and Eric “Quiet Assasin” big ones!

I wish I could take credit for the amazing adventure, however all credit goes to Roy and the crew for finding, saving, feeding and entertaining us. Thank you for a memorable trip! Only 364 days until we go again!

Sincerely,
The Ghost Writer

3903C629-CBAA-4D2F-A395-3BC4CC9B5E50.jpeg

6D4534F1-D7AF-49DB-ACE6-909F080878BA.jpeg

634EC0C7-086E-4C2F-BDD1-176696881FE9.jpeg

fsh4calico

Paralabrax clathratus
Oct 31, 2004
Torrance, Ca
Name
Pete
Boat
Long Range, Float Tube
The following is a brief summary of our amazing adventure on the Royal Polaris in April.

Opening Scene:
We left the dock filled with the great anticipation of the adventure to come. It started with a swag giveaway. Thanks to Seaforth’s John Yamate, our former charter master Bill Nakaki, Owner hooks, Treebones and Rick Allan, we had shirts, hooks, hats, Yamate bombs, yeti coolers & cups and a couple rods. We then had our group photo followed by a first timers photo that included our traditional aquatic introduction. A good start!

Act I:
After a quick stop at the rocks for yellowtail, our Rookie of the year candidate Eric L “Mr Clean” caught the first fish of the trip and won a United Composite for his effort. The next stop we had excellent wahoo fishing (100+) with fellow rookie Eric T “The Hand Model” caching the largest wahoo of the day earning a Calstar rod! Damn Rookie roommates!

Tuna fishing was disappointing with the largest fish in the 30lb range. Fear not as Captain Roy did that tuna whisperer thing, talking to the birds & bait, smelling the salt air and brutally torturing the tuna that came aboard to tell him the location of the herd. What resulted was a 308lb personal best for Rick Allan.

For those of you that don’t know Rick, I call him the Hulk because when not hooked on a tuna, he is a soft spoken nutty professor luxury home contractor from Cambria. When hooked to a super cow his clothes rip off (thank goodness he wears underwear!) and he becomes a beast a drags in tuna with ease.

Act II:
Roy dialed it in even more and we had Volkswagens dropping on kite baits. Several fish were Big, really Big! Several cows were landed, but one in particular slightly stood out...

I approached the mild mannered form of the Hulk and saw he was sending out a puffer. He told me had had just seen a big one to which I asked Big or Rick Big? He smiled and said Rick Big then adjusted his glasses, fixed his hair and readied himself for the clothes ripping transformation. I hooked a nice fish as the kite was going full speed. During that time, Rick hooked a fish that took him for a ride. I passed him a few times as our fish passed each other. I proudly landed my first baitfish of the trip as I hear Oh My God! Look at that thing! It’s huge!

They weren’t talking about Rick, they were talking about his fish. I’ve seen many 3 gaff fish, several 4 gaff fish, but never a gate dropping 5 gaffer. When it came over the rail, it didn’t look real! It made my fish look like bait and Tahiti Pete’s 230lber look like a 150! When finally hung, it was almost too long to lift off the ground, but when it finally did so, the weight was an incredible 397lbs! Holy #%^*!!! It was the largest ever caught in the RP!

Act III:
Many more wahoo and a few more mini cows, followed by a great night of yellowtail fishing at the rocks.

Somewhere in between we had our Big Fat RP Wedding where Roy dressed in a bridal gown and the crew wore red bridesmaid dresses. Chris really took his outfit seriously! It’s amazing to see a bride and bridesmaids having a water balloon fight vs passengers. My sides hurt from laughing!

We left for bluefin grounds and got a couple flatfall fish followed by a full day of chasing breezers for a single fish

Again, fear not, Captain Roy talked again to birds, bait and then did a cavity search on the solo bluefin to formulate a plan. It started with a few smaller fish then jumped to a pair of 200lbers. One caught by Rey “The Nicest Guy” and Jeffy “Can’t Stop Talkin” Shapiro.

What happened next was truly amazing. We started to find biting fish and by the time the sun rose, we had 55 fish, most over 100, half of those 120-180 and the final four 180-232! Holy #%^*, again! Simply an amazing night of fishing that was highlighted by Greg “The Cow Killer” and Eric “Quiet Assasin” big ones!

I wish I could take credit for the amazing adventure, however all credit goes to Roy and the crew for finding, saving, feeding and entertaining us. Thank you for a memorable trip! Only 364 days until we go again!

Sincerely,
The Ghost Writer

View attachment 1274155

View attachment 1274156

View attachment 1274157
Mike,

Fantastic write-up. I really enjoyed fishing with you and hope to get on the trip next year. Good times for sure.

Pete

Reactions: bob1825
Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Beauftiful, was waiting for someone to post about this trip. I've done 8 and 10 dayers but this takes it to a whole different level. I loved the part about the wedding and crew water balloon fight LOL. That 400lber makes that 300lber look like 200lbs. Sounds like a great trip, and hoping I may beable to hop on a trip like this either next year or in 2023.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
DAMN, IS RIGHT!!!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo