Grande - Full day - 9-30

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by HighWildFree, Sep 30, 2018.

1. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Oops, meant the 29th.

Short of it : Rough day with 55 people aboard the boat.

92ED4CB0-C3CB-420F-94A8-3948A688D128.jpeg

Ended with 2 skippys. Lost three yellowfin. One fish pulled the hook one foot below the surface, lost another at the boat when someone couldn’t control a 4lb skippy and tangled 10 lines. Lost the third after a couple missed gaff shots, then it takes a long run and the deckhand pokes my spool playfully and pop goes the line.

Still fun, but never again on a boat that crowded.

Please keep the lightweight bass gear at a minimum, and put it away in a hot bite.

Food was great. Boat was awesome.

2 fish average on the boat. Half skippy and yft, 8-25lb range. Fished About 40 miles south. One person throwing a sniper caught one fish.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. joshc1024

joshc1024 Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    none
    I feel you man. Can’t stand the clowns that can’t control a 4lb fish

CartridgeCalls and HighWildFree like this.
  3. Bring It On

Bring It On Bring It On Fishing

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bring It On
    For them to sell 55 tickets is straight BS. Great Boat but come on Grande thats just plain CROWDED and no fun!

4. Surface

Surface Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    I was on the grande yesterday. They went the distance and got fish, boat was nice, good crew. They definitely work their asses off.

It was combat fishing at the stop where we got bit. No amount of working together is going to help 30+ people in the back of the boat during a tuna bite. Just have to have a sense of humor and know what you’re getting into. Got plenty of tuna so I was happy with it overall.

5. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    For them to sell 55 tickets is straight awesome! That means the fishing is good, the boat will remain profitable, the captain and crew make money and the operation continues on into next season. Wouldn't it be terrible if the boat only had a few passengers each trip and next season we had no boats to fish on?

6. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    1481114_57201499489fdbaa3632b915bf67c598.jpeg
    Grande is a little bigger than I remember. Looks like she could hold a couple of hundred, easy.

7. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    With that amount of freeboard, missed gaff shots are understandable.

HighWildFree likes this.
  8. HighWildFree

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Yea, especially off shore fishing with everyone on one side of the boat, not even enough room for 55 guys on one side.

Heard lots of people saying they will never fish This boat again. Bummer that these landing loose potential repeat customers every trip. But they need $$ to cover their expenses.

Yeah, that is true, good point. But they also lose money with each lost fish. Still a great boat, crew was decent too. I will fish that boat again, they worked hard. But just not with 55 people.

I'm not bashing the boat at all, just giving my perspective. 55 on an 85 footer is still much better than 72 on a 65 footer, I'm talking about you Pursuit.

9. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls 100% Disabled Veteran Owned Business

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    I would rather pay double and have half as many people.

bassman88, Paul Ward, jer dog and 2 others like this.
  10. Caseymcv

Caseymcv Old man

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    In my dreams
    4200 crew...not a rod on deck..

HighWildFree and CartridgeCalls like this.
  11. Sawmill killer

Sawmill killer Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Zodiac
    Excatly man, that's why I'm booked on limited loads of 25 on my first 2 trips out of SD.

I've done 10 people for albacore on 50fters out of Westport WA and having 2 or 3 clueless rods can [email protected]$k school after school of fish with them breaking off their own fish repeatedly and others....frustrating as hell especially when you have to share the overall catch. My last time I landed 14 but only got 7 1/2 fish....the exact same as one guy who did not land a single fish.

12. Surface

Surface Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    It’s true man, they have to walk the line between profitability and experience. Unfortunately alot of times experience is heavily effected by their customers. Too many people getting frantic/pissed about a 10lb skipjack. Some dude with a bass rod hotrailing a small skipjack was about to run over this elderly guy. I get it he should listen, get out of the way etc. but have some perspective in life.

13. kuyamonster

kuyamonster I only wishes to catch some fishes...

Name:
    Marcel
    Boat:
    Limited load cattle car
    This is the one boat I actually wanted to target with a heavier load of anglers. Call me crazy but since I've fished this boat successfully in the past with James McDaniels, I wanted to see if young buck Captain Alec Stockfelt could handle driving this boat and put customers on fish for his first full season. Needless to say, his hot start isn't a fluke. He and his crew of Danny, Tyler, Matt, and Joshua all passed with flying colors. We fished an open party of 50 and most everyone caught fish. I tallied 3 and 3 of each, YFT and SKJ. Plenty of casualties of course but I'm stubborn, not wanting to fish live bait. I tossed the jigs and poppers in the bow with 2-3 others, one angler being John who produces the Johnny Jigs. Those irons SWIM! Caught 4 of my fish on artificials. (ColtSniper 80g and small Halco Roosta popper 105mm) Capt. Alec searched long and hard, he wouldn't stop the boat even if it was a double jig strike on SKJ, only wanted the right kind for the group. (in my mind I thought: nice move) Scratch fishing for 3-4 stops. It was already past 2pm when he found the best yet final stop and we were a quite a ways from home still. Mostly better grade YFT here, some 20-25 lbs. I bit the bullet and tossed live sardines to get my last 2 tuna in stern, but lost three times as many due to combat fishing. Last stop made this trip. Boat wasn't back at HM till 730pm or so. Rarely do I fish 3/4 day boats. If I do I normally choose the San Diego with Booger for consistency (30 or less please) and the Liberty with Taro or Anibal. (love the bunks and big galley). FYI, even Taro two seasons ago didn't have the first year numbers Alec has had up till now in the wheelhouse. The Grande will be on the Top 3 list as a 3/4 day "go to" boat, now that I've experienced the level of commitment from the Captain and customer service of the crew. Hoping to get on her once more after this weakening front from Hurricane Rosa passes through. Don't be shy to try, it's looking like light angler loads going forward into the weekend. See you guys at the rail...

14. HighWildFree

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!

Yes, I wish they did more limited load offshore boats. I'd book them for sure. But as someone who gets out every other weekend, it's hard to find those boats.

Had two others with me on Saturday that weren't into combat fishing and ended up getting skunked, were not happy about it. No love on poppers or snipers, or else I'd avoid the mess. And stay up front.

15. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I agree. I wish a sporty would adopt a more premium package at a higher price point. I think there is room for something in between regular open party and booking a 6 pack. Not that I personally have to worry about that much with my own boat, but I can see there being a fillable niche.

CartridgeCalls and HighWildFree like this.
  16. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    55 people with the wind in your face protocol sounds a bit catastrophic and claustrophobic. How about 40 max at $170, and sell more burgers.

I suggest these sport boats mount a few strategic cameras around the boat shooting constant footage of a good day, edit and upload to the boats website for a $10 single download option for their passengers. The boat could get a couple advertisers involved, customers don't have to mount GoPros to their extremities, cell phones would stay dry, digital revenue.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    the SLIDER and HighWildFree like this.
  17. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Nice pay day for the Grande on ticket sales and the galley sales $$$$$. If they were licensed to carry more like the boat did in the past,, They would put them on!!!

HighWildFree likes this.
  18. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    These boats than run 55-60 offshore are a huge bummer. Even 25 people on a slide is a mess. I get it, its the season end money maker where everyone wants to get their 10lb PFT photo. Grande is a badass boat and super comfy to fish the Islands. Any offshore boat unless your fishing jigs up front you're pretty much doomed to be in a 4-10 way tangle in the back. Tuna season brings out kooks by the bus load.

HighWildFree likes this.
  19. Bring It On

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bring It On

20. Bring It On

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bring It On
    Lets go fish on the next boat with 55 guys. Let me now when your ready i will go just to watch you go NUTS! :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    HighWildFree likes this.