Offshore Grande 1.5 day 9/21-23 BFT

smoked sALmon

Jun 16, 2020
NorCal
Name
Allen
Boat
Arima Sea Ranger 21 / Hobie outback
Went to tanner bank for BFT with the fleet, started before 1st light dropping some jigs while the captain cruised around looking for the right spot.
Once the sun was out switched to flylining sardines & captain anchored us in a spot with good sign. People started hooking up in fairly short order, small hooks seemed to help, & most were using 30 or 40lb line. Pretty steady pick of 20-30lb fish for a few hrs till sometime midday some larger 50-70lb fish started hitting the deck. I was told one guy hooked up with a marlin, but broke off after a few min.
It was my 1st time on a party boat in socal, and 1st BFT caught so obviously had a great time. Most people hooked up, and we were near plugging the boat. Ended the trip with two fish for myself, one approx 25lb and the bigger 60lbs was estimate from a few guys I talked to on the boat. To be honest I thought it was a little heavier ;)

IMG_5721.jpg

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Excellent first SoCal sportfishing boat trip! No calico bass for you, go straight for the bluefin tuna! You got seriously lucky, although "the newbie catching big fish" is a long-standing SoCal tradition. If the deckhands call the size, you can believe them, they see and handle a lot of fish. Fellow fishermen not so much. Good job!

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Awesome trip! Congrats!

If the deckhands call the size, you can believe them, they see and handle a lot of fish. Fellow fishermen not so much. Good job!

I beg to differ. Even the long range deck hands are often wrong on guessing size - which you get to test because you weigh the fish when you get back.

Have been on so many trips where they were off. One trip in particular comes to mind on the Excel where they were calling everything 80-90, and back at the dock it was all 100-120.

Tuna are hard to gauge for everyone.

Reactions: ErnieG and Tunahead
    surfgoose
    surfgoose
    Well, you may be right. Tuna are tough to call. The pictured fish looks about 60 to me, but it could have been a bit bigger. A nice fish, whatever the size.
    Upvote 0
    SD2600
    SD2600
    Who cares… those are nice fish. It’s not like your going to hang em on your fridge with a magnet so your mom is going to tell you how wonderful you are…..

solid catch and post. I appreciate it.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and 1st trip Allen.
    Way to GO! Nice couple of Bluefin for your efforts. Solid work! LOL
    Glad you all had a great trip sounds like.

Upvote 0