Grand Day on the Grande 8/21

Frogznlogz

Jul 23, 2009
Riverside/CA/USA
Name
Sean
Boat
na
I won't go over all the details again (Matt covered them in his posting). It was a steady plunker bite the whole drift with 2-3 fish being hooked up at any given time. There were a lot of casualties due to lighter lines, way too many tangles, and some lack of experience. There was even an asshole out there with an Ugly Stik bass rod (the kind you see at Walmart with the clear tip). :slap: This guy was so dumb he didn't even have the reel clamp on his reel! When he hooked a fish, his reel came off of the rod! Another angler and deckhand grabbed the clamp from his tackle box and put it back together with the fish still on. There were people getting broke off on 30 and 40lb test and this guy was using 25! After what seemed like an hour of running up and down the rail and around the corner and back... color. A little bit longer and that Ugly Stik bent in half, they gaff the fish and it makes a beautiful thud on the deck. About 45 pounds. Biggest tuna I have caught.
20160820_212126.jpg
20160821_164340.jpg
20160821_164351.jpg
20160821_164407.jpg

Why? I wasn't getting bit at all on the 60 or 40 Fluoro. Was frustrating to watch for hours all the people around me get bit while I wasn't. Sure enough as soon as a cast that 25lb test out, Wham! After that I went back to 40lb and never got bit again.

Crew was fantastic. Especially the younger deckhand named Kale. I would not have landed that fish without their help sorting all the tangles (and there were a lot).

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Congratulations. You do what you have to to get bit sometimes. In a plunker bite the lite line is not such a big deal. Everyone is already sitting there, not waiting on you. Also you do not have a ton of other fish hooked up to worry about getting in a tangle with because of how long it takes to get yours in.

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Awesome heck you got one! I know guys whom never put the reel claps on, I think that's what you meant. All they use is the reel seat, but the rods aren't Walmart ugly sticks, lol. I actually just started using 25 as my light vice 20, the extra 5 gives me a little more blind confidence. Nice work on 25lb

Reactions: rick rouland

Frogznlogz

Jul 23, 2009
Riverside/CA/USA
Name
Sean
Boat
na
Awesome heck you got one! I know guys whom never put the reel claps on, I think that's what you meant. All they use is the reel seat, but the rods aren't Walmart ugly sticks, lol. I actually just started using 25 as my light vice 20, the extra 5 gives me a little more blind confidence. Nice work on 25lb
Yeah, 25 is usually my go to for most of the overnighters to Catalina or targeting small tuna. I always use the Big Game 25# because it has a lot of stretch in it. The rod did extremely well too. I was talking with one of deckhands afterwards and he was surprised at how well it worked. I grabbed the rod tip and and yanked on it hard in all directions and he cringed. He thought I was going to break it but they pretty unbreakable up at the top like that.

Reactions: Erawk

Erawk

Get bent!
Dec 25, 2011
United States
Name
Eric
Boat
21' Sea Ray
Way to go. I was down to 15lb today but couldn't buy a bite right on top of their heads.

tresbien

No.... But Willing To Learn
Aug 19, 2008
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
i was with you on the trip
i still can't believe you landed that tuna after all the MAYHEM you endured
a 4 way tangle, the busted reel seat and a FAT tuna on the light line!!!!
Congrats on the SLUG!!!!

Frogznlogz

Jul 23, 2009
Riverside/CA/USA
Name
Sean
Boat
na
i was with you on the trip
i still can't believe you landed that tuna after all the MAYHEM you endured
a 4 way tangle, the busted reel seat and a FAT tuna on the light line!!!!
Congrats on the SLUG!!!!
What boat you going next weekend for the 2 day? I'm going out on the El Capitan...

tunakid4321

May 17, 2004
Malibu/San Diego/Boise
Name
Travis
Boat
None
I love ugly sticks. Nice work!

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
All kinds of different grade fish swimming together. Tough to know what to toss until you do.
Thanks for the report!

Steve Francis

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
I can only imagine how Arnold "Cookie" Cook, the original Capt of the "America" which is now the Grande, would have reacted to your tackle. To make that more interesting, at that time Gary Nordbye was first deck on the America. Their reactions would have been priceless. Congrats on your fish. The Grande/America is one "Fishy" boat.

Reactions: freegaff2

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
^^lol, Cookie takes off hat, scratches head, opens mouth and...;)

tresbien

No.... But Willing To Learn
Aug 19, 2008
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
What boat you going next weekend for the 2 day? I'm going out on the El Capitan...
hey sean
i am on the sea adventure 2 next weekend
different boats for us but hopefully similar results for us
are you going to get any bigger gear? haha
again congrats on that fish