Grand Cayman Fishing Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by jscrib, Jul 6, 2012.

1. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Grand Cayman fishing question.

My wife and I are going in a couple weeks and I wanted to find out if anyone on BD has had personal experience fishing there. I have already researched charters, guides etc. but I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a guide or charter if you have fished there.

Thanks,

Jason

2. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Great info. Keep it coming! :hali_olutta:

j

3. Meloco14

Meloco14 Newbie

Name:
    Loren
    Boat:
    Good Question (Dad's boat)
    Seems like not many people have fished there. Lucky for you I just moved back after living there for almost 4 years. There's good news and bad news. The good is - the fishing can be really good there. The bad is - there are almost no quality boats to take you out. Historically people only fished there for food, so they fish out of little skiffs over the reef for anything that will bite their hand lines. Sportfishing there is extremely touristy. There are a bunch of boats available, but the captains and crews are there just to take the rich tourists out past the reef to pull some feathers and maybe catch a 2lb blackfin tuna. I know the fishing can be good because I worked in a seafood restaurant and we got local fish in every week, up to 120lb yellowfin, 60lb wahoo, quality dorado and the occasional swordfish. But these are all the commercial boats that go out for a week at a time to the local banks. I lived at the Captain Marvin's dock and saw the charter boats coming in, most of the time with nothing, occasionally with some small blackfin or dorado or barracuda. You are going at a good time of year for tuna and dorado, but wahoo are in the winter. I think marlin are year round. It's also rainy/hurricane season, so it might be windy and/or rainy while you're there. Sorry for being kind of a downer, but this is the truth, and it is extremely frustrating because if I or anyone who actually knew what they were doing had a boat down there, the fishing could be fantastic. Guy Harvey lives there and regularly catches marlin from his boat. If you want to go offshore the one guy I can recommend is Capt Jon Arch http://www.slackemcharters.com/home_page
    I went out with him once and we caught a nice marlin just short of 200lbs. He is very passionate about fishing and cares more than most of the tourist operations. I would avoid places like Captain Marvin's, Red Sail Sports, any of the big operations. The other thing I would recommend is taking a 8 or 10lb spinning rod with you and fishing in the canals for baby tarpon. I used to do this off the dock at my apt. and caught tarpon to about 5lbs, and lost some bigger ones. It's a lot of fun on the light tackle, and they jump and fight like crazy. You have to do a little bit of searching, as they follow the baitfish that follow the tides. You can drive around the residential areas with canals and just look for them rolling. When you find them, it can be a lot of action for anywhere from a few min to a couple hours depending on how long they stick around. There is also a fly fishing guide who chases tarpon from shore if you want a guided trip. http://www.flyfishgrandcayman.com/
    No idea how good he is, but I saw him with a client in the canal near my apartment once.
    You can also take a rod down to the harbor where the local fishermen clean and sell their fish. There are also a couple restaurants that feed tarpon in the area. Because of this, there are always tarpon around, and I have seen people trying to catch them from shore. It's kind of cheating, like fishing in a barrel, but it's fun nonetheless, and the tarpon will almost always win. There are some pushing 100lbs in there. It's more fun for me to jump in and swim with them though. Anyway, hope this helps a bit, and if you need any more info just let me know. I know all the things to do there, especially diving and restaurants. Hope you have a great trip and hope you find some fish!

4. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Thanks for the info. Loren!

I'll will let you know what I end up doing. Definitely bringing a light tackle rig with me.

Not my first choice in the time of year to go but, the trip is free so I'll deal with the weather. As far as the offshore fishing goes, thanks for the insight, that helps a lot.

Jason